Graf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading

Thread: Home built Tang Sight?

Boolit Master

Home built Tang Sight?

I am toying with the idea of building a mid-range tang sight for my last Single Shot rifle project, right now it just uses a barrel sight that is an exact copy of the T/C Hawken ML sight except I made it with a dovetail mount base instead of using screws like the T/C factory version does. Not having anything to copy from or drawings of any kind is leaving me with a lot of guess work, I have searched for drawings or prints but so far I have turned up little. Any ideas on where drawings or even a good description of dimensions, etc might be found?
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

what kind of tang sight ... lyman/marbles type? vernier type? do you require windage adjustments as with a vernier soule? is the gun's tang area an extension of the action, or wood? a simple aperture tang could be as rube goldberg simple as a fine thread machine bolt with an aperture drilled up top. but if you have a machine shop, and the know how plus access to the right tools/materials, it's prolly doable. but a heckuva lotta work .... if ya like, i can give you dimensions off a lee shaver super grade vernier soule tang.

lotsa images here ...

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=yhs-linuxmint
    Last edited by rfd; 05-11-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I made one from scratch here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...evens-Favorite

I haven't had time to get to the range with it yet, but I have no doubt it will work very well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    what kind of tang sight ...

After looking at my post I suppose it did make about as much sense as asking "how long is a piece rope", sorry about that.

After posting I found NCBigbore's post on his scratch built sight and that's about what I have in mind except it will be for a traditional style HighWall, don't know how I missed that post but I did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoastBigBore View Post
    I made one from scratch here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...evens-Favorite

I haven't had time to get to the range with it yet, but I have no doubt it will work very well.

Talk about timing! I don't know how the dickens I missed that since I have been stewing on this for a couple of weeks now and there it was but I didn't even see it until I had already made my post!

That's about what I have in mind, I guess I was being a bit lazy about it and was hoping to get a set of prints/drawings but probably I will just do like you did.

Boolit Bub
    Yup I didn't work up any drawings, or I'd put them up; just measured and built as I went. If you want any higher-res photos to see how I got from "A" to "B" let me know and I'll put them up.

NCBB