WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New to casting lead and Aluminum projectiles

Boolit Man

New to casting lead and Aluminum projectiles

A couple of weeks ago I started ordering all the bits and pieces I will need to begin casting my own bullets.
    A while ago I accidentally stumbled across while surfing other gun stuff, some large caliber rounds that had aluminum bullets instead of lead.
    While not intended for long range targets, they we're supposedly really, I MEAN REALLY, IMPRESSIVE for close combat because of the extremely high velocity achieved.
    I have found projectiles made out of pure copper as extreme penetrators, but can't seem to find the aluminum ones now.
    Back then I did a search for other aluminum rounds and could not find any, including these, so I had to rely on the (now missing) link to get back to whoever sold them.
    Anyone see these or others like that?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Casting Al it a totally different process than casting our simple low temp (~750F) Pb alloys! Much higher temps (~1,221F), different fluxing procedure (many use glass or borax to prevent oxidization in the fired crucible....NOT a Lee pot!!), different molds, either lost wax investment or brass/FE or solid carbon molds....(NOT standard Aluminum Lee molds!!).

See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIF_NIJN5g

Sounds neat....... but I would not ever try it. ( I have cast Al, brass, Au, and Ag items in the past). If you are new to casting simple Pb boolits, you might not be quite ready to cast Al ones. Get your casting knowledge and skills honed by doing, not reading, and then mabe someday attempt Al casting.

If you can find them commercially.....AND.....the valid published load data to go with them, I would recommend going that rout for success if you want to mess around with Al boolit rounds.

Good luck on what ever path you may choose!

banger

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I just started messing with AL and it is a different ballgame, degassing the mix fluxing and evening melting is ramp up from lead. I have not even gotten started good right now I am just making ingots out of scrap.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    If you can find them commercially.....AND.....the valid published load data to go with them, I would recommend going that rout for success if you want to mess around with Al boolit rounds.
    banger
    It's finding them again, that is the issue I'm having.

I do cast aluminum using petrobond casting sand, but right now it's the Copper based Bronze alloys I'm having issue being successful with.
    I made a couple ingots of really good Aluminum Bronze so far but the dross issue with copper is fighting me.

I'd not bother casting aluminum bullets, I'd turn it on a lathe, and those tiny lathes (if I had one) are just the right size and price to turn bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I go thru many HUNDREDS of Pb alloy boolits at at time at the range! Turning them out of Al on the lathe (I have 4 of them) would be totally time intensive and not productive for the benefits reaped.

Go for it if you have the time and patience and need.

I will stick with casting 4-500 boolits in a setting out of 10-12 lead bottom-poured from my Lee pots.

I reserve my Al/Au/Ag/brass casting techniques for unique one-of-a-kind items and jewelry and antique reproductions.

Banger

I have some aluminum 45 acp these are made by Winchester Western they are 185 gr silver tipped hallow point. From back in the 70's era. designated x45ashp The price sticker is 8.05 from back then. Have found them on line on Ebay. I havent shot any yet might waight untill pumkin season and pop a few off into a punkin full of water. Should be rather interesting.

Boolit Master

You could cast some zinc bullets. Same affect and castable in a lee pot with standard molds. I would avoid casting them in aluminum molds and go for a brass or iron mold.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    You could cast some zinc bullets. Same affect and castable in a lee pot with standard molds. I would avoid casting them in aluminum molds and go for a brass or iron mold.
    Might want to rethink that, apparently zinc and steel pots have a nasty reaction.

On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823