Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working on an abused 31141

I cast with the new 311041, and even it seems to cast okay. The resultant bullets are .004-.005 out of round. Not enough you can look at either the mould or the bullet and obviously tell. I sized one 309 and it didnt make a bad high spot on the crimp groove as did the previous new mould. I made a dummy cartridge with the bullet, and it chambers in my rifle without interference. The bullets from the first new mould would not chamber as the out of roundness caused them to hit in my throat. So... I have hope.

I know no moulds will throw perfectly round bullets, and .004/.005 is pretty far out for a better quality mould. They pass the look test, and so far, the chamber test, so next will be some sort of accuracy test. As I plan to use them in a winchester 94, I doubt the accuracy will suffer. However, if I ever get a 30 caliber rifle that is capable of better accuracy, It will be interesting to see if they will be able to produce decent accuracy.

Well, the vent line that is at the nose is actually just in the cavity and leaves a wing on some of the bullets. Also, some of the vent lines in the body leave a little spot. Not actually a fin, but just a little spot. Im not happy with it, and think im going to send it back. I was going to try lapping it but am thinking on sending it back because of the vent line at the nose, dagnab lyman.

Well I finally had enough and sold it on ebay. I described it and got like 45 bucks. Took a chance and bought a used one, with handles, for 52.oo while it has some damage... I cleaned it up and it casts good. I have a working 31141 now, finally. Praise the Lord.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12