Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything PBcastco

Thread: Lube???

Boolit Master

Lube???

Ok guys here’s the scenario we’re a little Furniture poor ( heck who am I kidding I’m poor period ha ha ha that’s a story that’s been told an ain’t worth repeating) anyway the wife scored a dresser from good Will thrift store today. The draw glides need a little lube( I know y’all though this post was about Boolit lube ha ha fooled ya) anyway my question is straight beeswax or a little of that wonder lube Bens Red? The glides are metal on wood. Your opinions/suggestions would be welcome.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Straight beeswax should work great, but if all I had was lube I might give it a whirl one one drawer

Boolit Master
    Heck I’ve been lubing my .06 cases with bens red for a while with great results! Never had a stuck case! I figured a little might work pretty good.

Moderator Emeritus

I use candle wax for drawers. All mine are wood on wood.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Candle wax on rain gear zippers really helps ,

Beeswax will work to satisfaction. Also, regular bar soap will work well.

Boolit Master

I been JPW as case sizing lube. I started lubing things around the house with 50/50 beeswax and vasaline. I made some to test with pistals. Didn't work for me and now i tube of chapstick and hand lotion.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

might be a way to use up all the little bottles of alox ive got laying around.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Ok guys here’s the scenario we’re a little Furniture poor ( heck who am I kidding I’m poor period ha ha ha that’s a story that’s been told an ain’t worth repeating) anyway the wife scored a dresser from good Will thrift store today. The draw glides need a little lube( I know y’all though this post was about Boolit lube ha ha fooled ya) anyway my question is straight beeswax or a little of that wonder lube Bens Red? The glides are metal on wood. Your opinions/suggestions would be welcome.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Alox is supposed to be toxic.
    You breathe a lot during the night. It is not healthy to breathe in fumes forever. Even low levels over long periods of time can cause big problems, such as cancer.
    I would stick to more natural and benign products such as soap or wax, and I would lean towards the wax.
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 05-12-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master

Beeswax is the traditional lube.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Alox kinda dries out gets sticky. I Seriously doubt it would make good lube for a dresser drawer glides

Banned

I was joking guys

Boolit Master
    I was told candle wax at some point for drawers in a bureau but bees wax should work as well.

Boolit Master
    Well guys Bens Red stricks again! It seems to be an excellent lube for dresser glides! At least it is when it comes to an inexpensive dresser with sheet metal on wood glides! I put a little on, slid the draw in, slid it in an out a couple times and asked my wife to try it out. She gave the empty draw a little pull and it almost worked to good. She expected some resistance and there was none. The drawer slid out the dresser! My wife, expecting some resistance, ( when we brought it home you couldn’t hardly move the draws) found herself halfway across the room with an empty dresser drawer in her hands! I wish I had my camera lol. Anyway thanks Ben! Every day I find another use for your boolet lube! Maybe someone should start a topic so we can list alternate uses for Ben’s red

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Alox is supposed to be toxic.
    You breathe a lot during the night. It is not healthy to breathe in fumes forever. Even low levels over long periods of time can cause big problems, such as cancer.
    I would stick to more natural and benign products such as soap or wax, and I would lean towards the wax.
    Sorry to hijack a thread, but Ron, is there some data out there about Alox toxicity? Honest question, we get wrapped around the axle on lead exposure which doesn't worry me much but I seem to handle an awful lot of bullet lube. Of course, it seems everything anybody handles anymore is harmful somehow.

By the way, I've always heard of using ordinary candle wax for such thing, just rub an old candle on the gliding surfaces and see how that work.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Sorry to hijack a thread, but Ron, is there some data out there about Alox toxicity? Honest question, we get wrapped around the axle on lead exposure which doesn't worry me much but I seem to handle an awful lot of bullet lube. Of course, it seems everything anybody handles anymore is harmful somehow.

By the way, I've always heard of using ordinary candle wax for such thing, just rub an old candle on the gliding surfaces and see how that work.
    LEE liquid alox MSDS

https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/90177.pdf

GHS Hazards:
    Flammable liquids Category 4
    Aspiration hazard Category 1
    Aspiration toxicity May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001