RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101 rear sight

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I am looking to install a rear sight onto my 3" SP101, and am looking for recommendations from people who have had it done. I've tried calling, but it doesn't seem like anyone listed online will answer the phone. I'm not looking for the cheapest job, but it needs to be reasonable, $150 or so.
    Before you have work done to the receiver, I suggest calling Ruger's customer service to verify Ruger will maintain and/or repair the revolver - after receiver has been altered. Product liability civil law may have resulted in restrictions in what can be altered and what the company will accept to continue to service. I mention this because restrictions Freedom Arms has placed on [private] gunsmithing Model 97 receivers and barrels has just about shut out having anyone else futz with them.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Before you have work done to the receiver, I suggest calling Ruger's customer service to verify Ruger will maintain and/or repair the revolver - after receiver has been altered. Product liability civil law may have resulted in restrictions in what can be altered and what the company will accept to continue to service. I mention this because restrictions Freedom Arms has placed on [private] gunsmithing Model 97 receivers and barrels has just about shut out having anyone else futz with them.
    I am certain that Ruger will no longer work on my modified Sp101. Ruger does not technically have a warranty at all, but they require all firearms are in the factory configuration, or they will not work on it. I will either have a gunsmith do work, or do it myself.

Boolit Master
    Maybe try Bowen Classic Arms.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rear sights? Sure. But why doesn't an aftermarket supplier provide a Patridge or Baughman-like black front sight for the SP-101 to replace the hideous god-awful Ray-Bar glow worm OEM front sight? I know that the ninja wanna-bes just love that tacticool debris, but how about throwing a bone to those of us that appreciate classic revolver equipage?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    My thoughts exactly on the factory front sight!!!
    BigBoreShooter

Boolit Grand Master

Are you talking about the fiber optic front sight? I see steel and tritium sights quite a bit. Mine came with a regular steel, all black blade. It's ok for light colored targets, but not good for much else. I painted mine orange.

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you talking about the fiber optic front sight?
    Yes, sir. Es mui hideoso. It looks cheap and cheesy. Fiber optics is fine for sending data and video--I can do without it on my revolver sights.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

It looks like it is back to the drawing board. I've talked to a number of gunsmiths, and even left it at one for the past couple weeks to look it over. The end result is, none are willing to install a J-Frame rear sight. It's a shame Ruger would ruin what could be a great revolver.

I have tried a sharpie to darken the rear "sight", and it was marginally successful. Has anyone tried painting it with flat black?

Boolit Grand Master

After making a number of calls today, it's not looking good. The best i can do is Bowen classics, and they can install a raised fixed sight. I'm not even going to bother with that.

It really is a shame, I had tried the 4.2" barrel, and it's just a little too long. It can dig into my leg after a while. The 3" is the far and away best size. Alas, my LCR is more accurate, so I think it's time to put this one up for sale. The LCR really is a phenomenal gun for what it is, and that trigger is to die for. Maybe I can find a holster to make the 4.2" model work, I will say the simply rugged holster I got for my 3" SP101 is the best I've ever owned. I can wear it bare against my side, no tucked shirt, all day. The 3" model will also conceal OWB, where the 4.2" wont without some goofy shirts or a jacket.

Boolit Bub
    It looks like it is back to the drawing board. I've talked to a number of gunsmiths, and even left it at one for the past couple weeks to look it over. The end result is, none are willing to install a J-Frame rear sight. It's a shame Ruger would ruin what could be a great revolver.

I have tried a sharpie to darken the rear "sight", and it was marginally successful. Has anyone tried painting it with flat black?
    When I was a broke young patrolman I used to do that to the factory glock plastic goal post rear sight on my backup gun. Added a cheap meprolight front sight and it worked great. Rustoleum flat black #7776.

Boolit Bub
    After making a number of calls today, it's not looking good. The best i can do is Bowen classics, and they can install a raised fixed sight. I'm not even going to bother with that.

It really is a shame, I had tried the 4.2" barrel, and it's just a little too long. It can dig into my leg after a while. The 3" is the far and away best size. Alas, my LCR is more accurate, so I think it's time to put this one up for sale. The LCR really is a phenomenal gun for what it is, and that trigger is to die for. Maybe I can find a holster to make the 4.2" model work, I will say the simply rugged holster I got for my 3" SP101 is the best I've ever owned. I can wear it bare against my side, no tucked shirt, all day. The 3" model will also conceal OWB, where the 4.2" wont without some goofy shirts or a jacket.
    May be easier to find someone to chop the 4.2” to 3” perhaps?

Boolit Grand Master

That is a possibility, along with putting the 3" barrel on the 4.2" frame. At this point I don't think it's worth going farther though. It seems that it will be easier to learn to carry the 4.2" model, than to track down somebody that can put a rear sight on my 3". The added velocity and sight radius wouldn't be a bad thing either. I'm not looking for a tack driver, but I've got the LCR for when concealment matters. I think what I'm after, most people call a trail gun. I'm not exactly after a camping meat hunter, but I'm much more concerned with 4 legged critters than 2. My reasons for going with the 327 Fed. vs the 357 Mag are a whole other matter, which I am firm in my decision.

Anyway, an adjustable sighted 3" was a great idea that just wasn't meant to be... yet. I'll be writing Ruger.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 05-31-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Boolit Master

For me, Simply Rugged's pancake Silver Dollar rides the way I think you want when worn as cross-draw. But I find that holster's cant in its near vertical position to be "off" for me. They had no interest in making me a holster with the cant I need for their holster to work. Mark Fedders at Lobo holsters will make such a holster. I sent him my Simply Rugged to make "my" holster for my SP101 3-inch with partially bobbed hammer. If that holster works, we'll have it done for my SP101 4.2-inch. In our telephone conversations with follow-up via email, Mark is nearly certain that his pancake cross-draw for my 3-incher he can raise by .50- to .75-inch, making it for the longer barreled SP101. I am nearly certain that the way I wear my cross-draws, that 4.2-incher will be comfortable to wear. From information you have furnished in this thread I think, after your chatting with Mark, that the two of you can create the holster you want. You're not really wanting a holster that is bizarre. (I have one bizarre holster, and it works beautifully. Wes Daems at 7X Leather in Ennis, Montana, is the guy for "that holster you want but holster makers would not consider makeable." For most of my woods-walking/hunting holsters Wes built them to my order, and that includes belts, accessory ammunition pouches, compass pouches, knife sheaths, et al.. His primary business is saddle making. Holsters are a side business he enjoys.)

Hope something in my mishmash helps.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master

. ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    Ask them if they plan on making the 3" LCRX in 327 ... problem SOLVED!
    While I think the LCR is awesome, it beats out any J-frame IMO, I'm not interested in a big LCR. First, I actually like the heft of the SP101, soaks up even 140 grain H110 cast bullet magnums, but it's still light enough I can forget about it on a long day. I wouldn't choose the SP101 for pocket carry, this is where the LCR really shines. The other thing is the LCR's short ejector rod. It's a necessity on a small gun by design, but the full length rod (actually just short by maybe .100") on the SP101 sure makes me feel a lot better. That and the thick cylinder seems to be a lot easier to eject full power ammo.

As for holsters, I actually like the straight style of the Simply Rugged. I won't lie, I've got some love handles, and the forward cant seems to dig the grip into my sides. I prefer IWB most days, but really appreciate the option of OWB of the SR. I like that the straps of the SR holster let it ride nice and low. I do not like cross draw. Thinking about it, maybe a nice and deep sitting holster with a slight forward cant would be the ticket. I'll call Mark and see what he can do.

Boolit Master
    I am probably missing some major point of this thread, but what about buying a Smith and Wesson 632? Chambered in .327 Federal and has a three inch barrel. It is ported though.

I have always wondered why Ruger does not offer an SP-101 in .327 Federal with a 2 1/4 inch barrel like their .357 magnum?

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I am probably missing some major point of this thread, but what about buying a Smith and Wesson 632? Chambered in .327 Federal and has a three inch barrel. It is ported though.

I have always wondered why Ruger does not offer an SP-101 in .327 Federal with a 2 1/4 inch barrel like their .357 magnum?

exile
    If you can find one for $700 (about what a SP101 with rear sight machine work costs), let me know. Good luck even finding one. I do not like porting though, what a waste on a small gun.

I personally think the 2" SP101 would be a downgrade from an LCR. The 327 federal, even with bullets heavier than factory offers is not bad in the LCR. Unless they offered the 2" with novak sights, the LCR is lighter, plenty shoot-able, and has a WAY better trigger. The SP101's weight does give it an advantage with the 120-140 grain bullets I prefer, and makes a huge difference when longer range accuracy is wanted.

Boolit Grand Master

I just found the solution to my problem. After checking out a handful in a store, I decided the GP100 would be an even better fit. I ended up finding a Lipsey's special GP100, 5" barrel half-lug, blued, 327 federal, and it will hopefully be here early next week. I really think the 3" SP101 is a gem, so hopefully some day they will run a 327 federal with novak sights. I'm confident the frame/cylinder is plenty small to carry IWB without any concern, but the grips are always the question. I even tried my N-frame smith, and that would not be impossible IWB either, if I had such a holster. Every GP100 I tried had a much better trigger than the SP101, good sights (I don't like the fiber optic on the SP101 either), and while I never tried the wood grips on the lipsey's special, I always like Hogue grips.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 06-12-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

After a wait I figured out the ultimate solution. Let me introduce the SP101 perfected (for me).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0510191403.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	241976

It was originally a 4.2" barrel SP101 327 federal that came with adjustable sights. I ran plenty of ammo through it to confirm I was happy with it. I tried carrying it, but it is just a hair too long to carry concealed OWB without a coat. With a T shirt, I can conceal the 3" version just fine. Open carry I use the GP100.

The solution is simple. I bought a Bowens Classics front sight base, a .250" wide for DX smith and wesson style blades. I had a gunsmith shorten the barrel to 3", install the front sight base, and I now have a concealable 6 shot revolver that is every bit as accurate as when it was a 4.2".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0518191614.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	241977

That is the first 6 shots at 50 yards after getting it back, that is a 2"x2" square. I never even had to adjust the sights. I shot my unmodified 3" side by side, and it's no competition. Good sights make all the difference in the world, even off a bench.

Boolit Master
    That is a GREAT solution.
    Care to post a few details like approximate cost? Gunsmith?
    Very cool final product.

The 5” GP...how’d you like it?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast