Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101 rear sight

Boolit Grand Master

SP101 rear sight

I am looking to install a rear sight onto my 3" SP101, and am looking for recommendations from people who have had it done. I've tried calling, but it doesn't seem like anyone listed online will answer the phone. I'm not looking for the cheapest job, but it needs to be reasonable, $150 or so.

Banned
    I can't recommend any specific gunsmith but on a fixed sighted SP101 it usually involves cutting a shallow dovetail in the top strap. Most competent gunsmiths can handle that with a milling machine. A taller front sight may be required.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been looking into something like having the J frame rear sight installed. That seems to be the most straight forward, simple, and effective way. For some reason there does not seem to be any pictures of an sp101 with one installed. If I could see one, I'd know right away if I'd like it or not. Those Novak sight models are the best I've seen, Ruger should go to those on all 2.25" and 3.1" Sp101 models. I can shoot my LCR better than this sp101, they would have been better off with not even cutting the frame, and adding a bead for a front sight. I'll call some local gunsmiths and see what they can do.

Boolit Buddy
    I corresponded with Bayside Custom Gunworks about putting a J-frame rear sight on an SP-101 several years ago and they said they could do the job, I never got it done, so I can't comment on the quality of the work. You can google them to get their contact info.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Youmans View Post
    I corresponded with Bayside Custom Gunworks about putting a J-frame rear sight on an SP-101 several years ago and they said they could do the job, I never got it done, so I can't comment on the quality of the work. You can google them to get their contact info.

Gus Youmans
    Did you end up finding another solution, selling it, or just living with the factory groove?

Boolit Buddy
    The gun is one of the early .32 H&R Magnum's that came with a windage adjustable rear sight but the elevation was off by a couple of inches at 25 yards with bullets from my other molds. I had Accurate molds design a 120 grain mold that shot to the sights, so I did not pursue the installation of a J-frame rear sight.,

I still have the gun but have not shot it in a couple of years.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Grand Master

That bullet wouldn't happen to be the 31-120K, would it? I love that bullet.

My windage is pretty close, but it shoots low, something like 12" at 25 yards. I could file off the front sight, but there's more to it. Besides being slow to see the "sights", the POI changes. The day I decided I need a real set of sights, I was shooting, and it got cloudy, the POI changed over 6" from sunny to cloudy conditions.

I managed to get a hold of 2 gunsmiths. One said he was not set up to do the job. E. Aurthur Brown said they could most likely do it, but would need to see the gun and sight to know for sure. I've ordered a J frame rear sight, and will drive out there in the next week or two.

Boolit Grand Master

I am a .32 fan. I bought a Ruger SP101 in .32 Magnum. As you know, the rear sight was windage only and I couldn’t get the sights zero’d but I really liked the piece. I took it to my pistolsmith and had a red dot sight installed. My pistolsmith thought I had lost my mind. However, that red dot sight allowed me to zero the revolver perfectly (and easily) and that little SP 101, became a VERY accurate and useful revolver.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sure that it would be, but I can't see myself carrying that every day in a holster.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 3"" 101 in 357.Same problem! When Ruger brought out the 4" with adjustable sight,I. I bought one and sold my 3" model. It might be cheaper to go that route.

BigboreShooter

Boolit Grand Master

Buying the 4.2" model is the cheap way to go, but it won't work for me. I carry IWB, about 7:30 (left hand), and the 4.2" barrel is just a little too long, and digs in, I tried it. Plus you can see the bottom of the holster as you walk, and especially when you bend over. The 3.1" barrel is absolutely perfect, I can even carry it OWB with out having to resort to weird clothes to conceal, although I only open carry with OWB.

Boolit Buddy
    megasupermagnum,

The mold that Accurate designed for me was the 31-120S. The gun would not chamber cast bullets with wide front driving bands and I wanted a bullet with a wide meplate, so he modified an existing design so it had a front driving band only 40 thousandths wide.

The 31-120S is a very good bullet and but my favorite mold is the RCBS 98 grain SWC/RNFP and its NOE clone, so that is what I cast most of the time. All my other .32s have adjustable sights and shoot the RCBS bullet better than any other mold I have, so I don't cast the 31-120S very often.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Master

Dropped off one of my Colts at TK Custom this morning and, while I was there, put your question to Tom. His advice: swap the SP101 for a 3" M60 Smith 'cause that would likely be less expensive than installing an adjustable S&W rear...which would require a new front sight, too. Machine work (off-the-cuff estimate) would be around $165 plus cost of the new rear sight. No estimate on replacing front sight because that would depend upon availability of a higher factory (Ruger) blade; if not, he'd have to modify something else or mill one from scratch.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately you can't get a Smith and Wesson in 327 Federal. I prefer the SP101 to a J frame anyway. I would rather have the gun I want, in the caliber I want, than to save $200. Thanks for asking. I am set on adding a rear sight to this gun. I was hoping someone would have pictures or another idea, but I'm going to go ahead and have the J frame rear sight installed.

As for the front sight, it's pinned in, so no worries there. I see a few options to buy taller sights. If nothing else, I have access to a Bridgeport, and know how to use it. I could make one if I absolutely had to.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Unfortunately you can't get a Smith and Wesson in 327 Federal. I prefer the SP101 to a J frame anyway...
    Same here; my 'carry' is a 3" SP101 (.357) and Federal Hydrashocks shoot POA at 15 yds.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned
    I've seen several conversions in which a S&W adjustable sight has been installed on a non S&W gun. It involves milling a slot in the top strap and drilling a tapping holes to secure the sight to the frame. The process is mostly a function of, "how much money do you want to spend".

Boolit Grand Master

The gun is now at the gunsmith, and it seems like a straight forward deal. He is going to use the 4.2" model SP101 to mock the location of the sight on mine. I should have it back in about 2 weeks. Just holding it on there, I can tell I'm going to like it already. The J frame has multiple height blades, I chose the lowest. It will sit nice on low on the frame, and provides an excellent sight picture.

Boolit Master

Years ago I had a adj S&W k frame rear sight installed on a 1911.

A J frame rear sight assembly is smaller yet , available from Brownells or Midway. @$50.00

If a front sight will help you out Dawson Precision makes front sights for the gp100 , black and fiber optic in a lot of sight height as well as width options , black sight $25,00 , fiber optic $39.00 includes shipping.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 05-18-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I've seen several conversions in which a S&W adjustable sight has been installed on a non S&W gun. It involves milling a slot in the top strap and drilling a tapping holes to secure the sight to the frame. The process is mostly a function of, "how much money do you want to spend".
    P & P, "how much money do you want to spend".........that is so very true with all gunsmithing problems/ideas that non-smiths can dream up......

Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba w/a 45/70 View Post
    P & P, "how much money do you want to spend".........that is so very true with all gunsmithing problems/ideas that non-smiths can dream up......

Yea, unfortunately most projects are limited more by my wallet than by my imagination.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast