RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pewter Haul

Avoid anything marked Armatale, and Pewteret. If its not smooth on the bottom of the piece...I am hesitant to purchase it. Some has aluminum, bismuth, silver and zinc mixed in the metal. Bismuth might be ok...but we don't want the others.

Anything marked as Pewter, Zinn, etain are good...many have a number in a shield hallmark too...thats the Tin content...Most is 95 or 92 being the percent of Tin in the piece.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I'll just have to get rid of the wife's shoes in the closet to store all the ingots. I'll make space for it. haha

redhawk
    Maybe you won't be in the doghouse. Pewter ingots are a lot more compact than the scrap we buy.

Starting out, Orisolo sold me forty pounds of pewter bars that shipped in a shoe box sized container. The 230# I have scrounged since then (ten year stockpiling plan, don't ya know) is still in raw form, and takes up 25 square feet in my basement, about ten five gallon buckets worth. I need to melt it down to reclaim the space. ;^P
    Last edited by kevin c; 05-11-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Yeah...it really doesn't take up much space to be honest...while I was the Goodwill store I found an old heart shaped candy mold made of aluminum. It may look funny to have hearts hanging around but each one weighs right at 3 oz. They are the perfect weight for dropping into my 10# pot. I actually store them in peanut butter jars...they are an interesting novelty piece to say the least. This weeks trip to Savers...I also found some regular mini-cupcake aluminum trays. I want to see how much weight each of those weigh. I may forgo the hearts just because I'm not that girly of a guy...hahahaha

redhawk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pew-Hearts.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	220254

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I usually put a couple of really nice dents and bends in my pewter scores lest they find there way into the house. i
    have a really nice dutch set with platter and some ornate lidded tankards that have already snuck in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Yeah...it really doesn't take up much space to be honest...while I was the Goodwill store I found an old heart shaped candy mold made of aluminum. It may look funny to have hearts hanging around but each one weighs right at 3 oz. They are the perfect weight for dropping into my 10# pot. I actually store them in peanut butter jars...they are an interesting novelty piece to say the least. This weeks trip to Savers...I also found some regular mini-cupcake aluminum trays. I want to see how much weight each of those weigh. I may forgo the hearts just because I'm not that girly of a guy...hahahaha

redhawk

Name:	Pew-Hearts.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	220254
    Glad I'm not the only one using that shape of ingot.

Name:	HeartIngot.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	220263

I love it...hahahaha

I almost bought the christmas tree mold tray yesterday...but passed it up. Its amazing what's out there that can/could be used by us casters.

redhawk

Boolit Master
    FYI some of your "weight" is the resin junk in the base of the candle sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    FYI some of your "weight" is the resin junk in the base of the candle sticks.
    No...all my candlesticks were open base...I got burned on that before. Live and learn... Many are full of camel dung as you indicate...but the ones i just bought were hollow without a base plate.

redhawk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12