RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Midsouth Shooters Supply is now adding PA sales tax to orders

Boolit Master
    Does anyone remember the days before the internet when you could call (or mail) a company and get a printed catalog?
    You would look through the catalog and actually fill out the order form in the back, mail it to the company with a check or credit card information and in a week or ten days your order would appear on your doorstep. If the company you ordered from was out of the state you lived in you did not have to pay sales tax either.
    I ordered plenty of components and equipment from several different outfits out of state this way, the internet just makes it more convenient.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    So, in the beginning, there was no tax on internet sales. (to help the internet get started)
    The internet was too successful.
    So states now see a cash cow.
    Some states from the beginning said they want there sales tax pay it when you file your State tax.

Now many states have different tax rates. The logistics are horrible How many businesses are going to charge you taxes and just keep the money. We had a Wendys that didnt pay there State tax for 9 months. They got shut down. So when Swappin & Sellin has to collect tax some you ..............
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    Does anyone remember the days before the internet when you could call (or mail) a company and get a printed catalog?
    You would look through the catalog and actually fill out the order form in the back, mail it to the company with a check or credit card information and in a week or ten days your order would appear on your doorstep.
    Yep. I remember ordering from Midsouth back in the early 90's.
    Went through the catalog, filled out the form and sent a check.
    They even collected taxes back then. I still love Midsouth Shooters Supply.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

Montana still has no sales tax.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Sounds like many of you are sheep and easily let to slaughter. PA should have gone after Midwayusa as they do far more business then Midsouth.

Taxes were created by evil greedy men! I remember living there if you sold your use car the buyer had to pay a tax when it's registered. How many times should a tax be paid on the same item???? PA is a greedy liberal Democrat state. For a while people got around the tax on selling a used car by telling the office they sold it for a ridiculous low price. The state caught on to that and then required that the sell had to go by Blue Book values. They'll do anything to screw you out of your money.

So what you PA gun parts and reloading, and reloading equipment buyers should do is have a friend in another state that isn't taxed my Midsouth buy the item for you and then when we he gets the tracking number get on it and change the address from his residence to yours.
    Sounds like conspiracy to commit fraud. No thanks I prefer being on the outside.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    No one likes taxes including me but sales tax is probably the most fair of them all.
    YEP YEP YEP. This would be my number one preferred choice of taxation. Pay to play and only on new goods no second taxation on things.

Boolit Master
    Remember when there was a Federal Law baring states from charging tax on mail order products from another state. Only charges for weighing and inspection were allowed. What happened to that Law?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    England has a vat tax(value added tax when item is bought) that I think is fair to all who buy, but what do I know?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I doubt that KY is alone in that we have a legal requirement to pay state taxes on any out of state purchases we make. There’s a line on our state income tax form called “Kentucky Usage Tax” where we are supposed to calculate and pay the sales tax on any goods we purchased without having the sales tax collected. That includes anything bought off eBay. So we would have to eventually pay the tax anyway.

Back when our taxes were more complicat d we used to pay someone to do our taxes. He used to give me a funny look when I would tell him how much to add for the usage tax. Apparently it wasn’t very common for any of his clients to pay anything at all. I will confess that I just took a general WAG about how much I had spent on big stuff and I certainly wasn’t going to add up every $5 little part I bought on eBay. I’m sure I underpaid a few dollars, but at least I made the attempt. I figured it would be a point in my favor if we were ever audited.

I can’t imagine more states don’t have some sort of requirement like that. So I wouldn’t be surprised if more of them start forcing mail order retailers to collect taxes.

I’m not boycotting a good company because they are following the law.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Never under-estimate the enormous greed of Government. The libs believe ALL money is theirs and the ruling liberal elite will decide how much you are allowed to keep. Libs believe people are too stupid to control themselves and therefore the lib elite has a moral duty to control the peons, for their own good.
    Don't get suckered in by the 'fair' VAT tax. If the Government rams that one through they will still keep all the other taxes in place.

Boolit Master
    If there HAD to be taxes and if the VAT was The Way To Go I might support that but ONLY if there were no others.
    Last edited by JSnover; 05-12-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: auto-correct got me
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    Never under-estimate the enormous greed of Government. The libs believe ALL money is theirs and the ruling liberal elite will decide how much you are allowed to keep. Libs believe people are too stupid to control themselves and therefore the lib elite has a moral duty to control the peons, for their own good.
    Don't get suckered in by the 'fair' VAT tax. If the Government rams that one through they will still keep all the other taxes in place.
    That Bolded is 99% of the time a "fact". And if they do remove any tax ( which I do not recall happening much) it will surely be replaced by a higher tax not long after.

Anecdote: In Rochester , MN. , back in '78, there was a big flood. After that flood, in order to pay for building flood control barriers around the city they imposed a penny ($0.01) tax on any sales in the city to include lodging as well. It was supposed to only be in place until the barrier work was paid for. That wrok was completed & paid for looonnng ago. But... the TAX remains...
    Just one good example of a gooberment taxing once & saying the tax will expire, then just keeping the tax after the expiration date...

------------------------

As far as MidSouth collecting taxes for PA, or any other state. I would think that there is a cost involved if ALL states forced the companies to do this & THAT would mean an increase in the cost of what you are buying to pay for the increased costs of collecting those taxes for the states. The company becoming a "tax collector" is a distasteful idea to me, and I am pretty sure it would not be a good idea for the ones who own/run MidSouth or any other company.

Any decision to comply with PA or any other states DEMAND that companies collect such taxes & pay them to the state where the goods are to be shipped then also brings in the Feds due to interstate commerce, if I am not mistaken.

This whole thing is a racket(extortion) & PA and any other states who are doing this to the companies are going to drive up costs which drive up taxes which drive up costs again & so on...

And... THEY(states) KNOW IT...

Also, if this is only being done to components that involve firearms, then there certainly is a bit of an agenda towards the control of firearms & their related components, including ammunition. If they are going to implement such practices then those practices will need to be covering ALL goods & not just select goods directed at a certain market.

This makes one wonder if PA, et al, are targeting just a certain area of goods, or did they contact ALL companies that market in PA, et al.??

I have a funny feeling that this "tax collection" is directed at a certain market & not all companies doing business in PA & et al....
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    This makes one wonder if PA, et al, are targeting just a certain area of goods, or did they contact ALL companies that market in PA, et al.??

I have a funny feeling that this "tax collection" is directed at a certain market & not all companies doing business in PA & et al....
    I don’t know. It might start that way, but once they start tasting the green they will probably go after every bead and trinket seller they can find.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    That Bolded is 99% of the time a "fact". And if they do remove any tax ( which I do not recall happening much) it will surely be replaced by a higher tax not long after.

Anecdote: In Rochester , MN. , back in '78, there was a big flood. After that flood, in order to pay for building flood control barriers around the city they imposed a penny ($0.01) tax on any sales in the city to include lodging as well. It was supposed to only be in place until the barrier work was paid for. That wrok was completed & paid for looonnng ago. But... the TAX remains...
    Just one good example of a gooberment taxing once & saying the tax will expire, then just keeping the tax after the expiration date...

------------------------

As far as MidSouth collecting taxes for PA, or any other state. I would think that there is a cost involved if ALL states forced the companies to do this & THAT would mean an increase in the cost of what you are buying to pay for the increased costs of collecting those taxes for the states. The company becoming a "tax collector" is a distasteful idea to me, and I am pretty sure it would not be a good idea for the ones who own/run MidSouth or any other company.

Any decision to comply with PA or any other states DEMAND that companies collect such taxes & pay them to the state where the goods are to be shipped then also brings in the Feds due to interstate commerce, if I am not mistaken.

This whole thing is a racket(extortion) & PA and any other states who are doing this to the companies are going to drive up costs which drive up taxes which drive up costs again & so on...

And... THEY(states) KNOW IT...

Also, if this is only being done to components that involve firearms, then there certainly is a bit of an agenda towards the control of firearms & their related components, including ammunition. If they are going to implement such practices then those practices will need to be covering ALL goods & not just select goods directed at a certain market.

If you have a landline

Great Depression[edit]
    Today's telephone excise tax derives from the Revenue Bill of 1932. Since then, it has been reauthorized 29 times. The 1932 Act was passed in response to a federal budget deficit brought about because of a decline in income tax receipts caused by an economic depression rather than as a result of war. Initially the tax was levied only on interstate (long-distance) service. The telephone excise tax was extended five times (between 1933 and 1941) before the tax was first applied to local telephone service.
    World War II[edit]
    Just prior to the entrance of the United States into World War II, the Revenue Act of 1941 was passed into law.[10] In addition to increasing the rate on long distance calls, it also imposed the tax on "general" or local telephone service for the first time. The rate of tax for local telephone service was set at 6 percent of the amount paid by subscribers while that for long distance calls was set at 5 cents for each 50 cents or fraction thereof, if the cost of the message was greater than 24 cents. Other legislation was subsequently enacted during World War II — the Revenue Act of 1942 [11] and the Revenue Act of 1943.[12] The tax rates on telephone service reached their all-time high under provisions of the Revenue Act of 1943.[13] Rates were 15 percent on local telephone calls and 25 percent (on messages which cost more than 24 cents) on long distance calls. The Revenue Act of 1943 also provided for the increased excise tax rates to expire. In the case of the excise taxes on telephone service, the law provided that the increased rates would end six months after the "date of termination of hostilities in the present war." The law defined the termination date as that date proclaimed by either the President or the date specified in a concurrent resolution of the two Houses of Congress, whichever is the earlier. In a reversal of this position, the Excise Tax Act of 1947 [14] continued the rates indefinitely.
    Codification in the Internal Revenue Code[edit]
    With the enactment of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954,[15] the levies imposed on both local and long distance calls (for messages costing more than 24 cents) were reduced from 15 percent to 10 percent. The Excise Tax Technical Changes Act of 1958 [16] made no changes in the tax rate on telephone calls, but did remove the 24 cents limitation first provided for in 1942. Both local and long-distance calling were subject to the same tax rate for the first time.
    The Tax Rate Extension Act of 1959 [17] provided for the termination of the tax on local telephone service on July 1, 1960. However, a series of one-year extensions[18] was subsequently enacted[19] each year until 1965, when the Excise Tax Reduction Act[20] became law. In 1965, Congress enacted comprehensive legislation which repealed many existing federal excise taxes and authorized the reduction and, in some instances, the gradual reduction and ultimate repeal of other excises over a period of years. This Act authorized the reduction of the 10 percent tax on local and long distance telephone service to 3 percent which became effective on January 1, 1966. In addition to the reduced rate, the Act provided for the gradual reduction and elimination of the tax on January 1, 1969.
    Vietnam War[edit]
    By 1966, however, the federal government’s revenue requirements had increased due to escalation of the Vietnam War. President Johnson requested that Congress enact legislation to restore the rate of the telephone excise tax to the 10 percent rate in effect prior to January 1, 1966, and that successive reductions which had been authorized by the Excise Tax Reduction Act of 1965 be deferred. Accordingly, Congress enacted the Tax Adjustment Act of 1966.[21] That Act authorized the restoration of the former 10 percent rate on these services beginning on April 1, 1966, for a two-year period (until April 1, 1968), at which time it was to be reduced to 1 percent, before repeal on January 1, 1969.
    Again in 1967, President Johnson urged postponement of scheduled reductions in telephone excise taxes as part of his tax program designed to meet the rising cost of the war and increasing domestic needs. A joint Congressional resolution was approved which temporarily extended the 10 percent rate from March 31, 1968, until April 30, 1968. This temporary extension provided Congress time to complete action on the Revenue and Expenditure Control Act of 1968.[22] The 1968 Act continued the 10 percent tax retroactively from April 30, 1968, until December 31, 1969, with provision for its subsequent reduction and repeal by calendar year 1973.
    Passage of the Tax Reform Act of 1969 [23] again granted a one-year extension (this time until December 31, 1970) of the telephone tax at the rate of 10 percent. With passage of the Excise, Estate and Gift Tax Adjustment Act of 1970 [24] the 10 percent rate was extended through calendar years 1971 and 1972. The tax was then to be reduced by 1 percent each year until the tax was scheduled for repeal on January 1, 1982. However, prior to repeal, the tax was extended in 1980 at a 2 percent rate until 1982 when it was scheduled to be reduced to 1 percent before repeal in 1983.[25] In 1981 the tax was extended again. This time the tax was extended at the 1 percent rate for two additional years with repeal scheduled for 1985.[26] However, in the following year, 1982, the tax was increased to a 3 percent rate, with repeal rescheduled for the beginning of calendar year 1986.[27]
    In April 1984 both the House of Representatives and the Senate passed legislation calling for a continuation of the current excise tax on telephone service at a 3 percent rate for an additional two years. The legislation enacted provided for repeal in 1988.[28] However, before repeal the tax was again extended at the 3 percent rate this time for an additional three years.[29]
    President George H. W. Bush's budget proposal for fiscal year 1991 called for the permanent extension of the telephone excise tax at the prevailing rate of 3%. Since the tax had been a continuous revenue source since 1932 and because of large continuing budget deficits, Congress concurred with the President’s recommendation and made the tax a permanent part of the tax revenue structure with the enactment of the Revenue Reconciliation Act of 1990.[30]
    On September 14, 2000, the House of Representatives took up legislation which included the repeal of the telephone excise tax. Under provisions contained in H.R. 4516, which was a package of both spending and tax bills, the 3% tax on communication services would be immediately repealed. After passage by the Congress, President Clinton vetoed this legislation.
    The general excise tax has so far cost consumers about $300 billion, says the Congressional Research Service.
    Until the middle of 2006, the tax was collected by telephone companies with respect to local and long-distance telephone services. Collection of the tax on most long-distance service was then halted due to a controversy that erupted over the wording of the law and the way telephone service is billed today.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    The industry I work in avoids doing business in the northeast because it is a known high cost region.

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    sales tax Is now a fact of Life. You can complain all You want but there here to stay. I love the people who talk and say there not paying.
    Call your state tax dept. and tell them you are refusing to pay the sales Tax. i sure they will get in Touch or maybe pay you a visit.
    Move to a state that does not have sales tax.
    get real
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Everyone in the UK complains about the high cost of reloading tools and components.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    England has a vat tax(value added tax when item is bought) that I think is fair to all who buy, but what do I know?
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Yep... Smoke4320, Same deal with phone services & not just landline if I am not mistaken... Seems there is a few taxes on cellphones as well.

Different service/product, but the tax does not go away...
    The gubment/politicians know what they are doing. While most folks just don't pay enough attention to it due to all the "circuses" they would rather enjoy, at the same time they get their pockets picked by the gubment right in front of them. They just get used to the taxes & are told the taxes will expire at some point & then when they are used to the taxes, the gubment just rolls the taxes over again & again. Boiling frogs & sheeple tolerate it & there are too many frogs & sheeple to make the rest be able to do much about it..

Not much anyone can legally do about it, is the problem. Except maybe "loopholes" if one can find them. If folks get rid of one set of politicians & the others just do the same program of tax when they can and as often as they can. Usually in just a different way to tax if they do lower or remove a tax, but the removing rarely happens... It is a racket, like I said earlier.

I think it is just a matter of time before this type of taxation gets popular & will eventually create a black market such as drugs, prostitutes, distilled ligature( moonshine), etc., IMO. The gubment messes up a lot of things & really screws it up a lot with taxes. It only seems to rankle some, most just pay & do nothing else but complain. Others , on the other hand, choose ways to do something about it. Not always legal...

I know of some of the other methods of fighting back, but since they are mostly not legal, and of course would not be permitted to be discussed here due to that, they will not be mentioned. Folks will have to ponder on that sort of thing, on their own, if they like. There are "loopholes" on occasion, but I don't like to discuss illegal doins/"tax evasion" by folks in avoiding taxes... Even if I know of some of them, I'm still not gonna go any further in that direction...
    I call that, "minding my own business.".
    YMMV of course.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Note shipping fees are the real killer just notified today by Amazon prime gong to $119.00.

Add that to your sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    Midsouth Shooters Supply in Tenn is now adding 6% PA state sales tax to all orders sent to PA !
    They had a option to collect it or decline collecting it , they chose to collect it !
    I'm sure other states are soon to follow
    From what I understand the tax collection depends on if you live in a destination state that collects sales tax from a vendor in an origination state. It is very confusing especially if you ship to California which a from my understanding has a modified version of the destination state tax code because of the state and local and county tax collections. It is on the retailer to comply with these states and their tax codes so I can only imagine how complicated it becomes. Any ask Siri lol and you can be as confused as I am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep Good ole Washington,DC.To me the DC stands for District of Criminals.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast