Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: uberti mod 66 carbine ?

uberti mod 66 carbine ?

hey i just piked up a uberti 1866 win yellow boy clone in 44-40 to day from a guy i see alot at my goto gun shop. it is a carbine with saddle ring and engraving on the action and some on the barrel. it needs some work it has bin in a basement for some years and has some rust on some spots not to bad but will need some small spots reblued and is missing the rear sight i put one off a hawkens rifle that fits.i am trying to get a date of it looked at all the normal spots nothing some part have a 10 on them but dont think its from 2010. and are the saddle ring rare with engraving on a carbine. the bore is spotless if anyone reloads some starting loads will help got it for 200 and a handshake. troy...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

thank you john boy any charts of numbers made

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hunteatfish View Post
    hey i just piked up a uberti 1866 win yellow boy clone in 44-40 to day from a guy i see alot at my goto gun shop. it is a carbine with saddle ring and engraving on the action and some on the barrel. it needs some work it has bin in a basement for some years and has some rust on some spots not to bad but will need some small spots reblued and is missing the rear sight i put one off a hawkens rifle that fits.i am trying to get a date of it looked at all the normal spots nothing some part have a 10 on them but dont think its from 2010. and are the saddle ring rare with engraving on a carbine. the bore is spotless if anyone reloads some starting loads will help got it for 200 and a handshake. troy...
    36 grains of FFF blackpowder and a 200grain boolit with decent lube grooves (RCBS Cowboy or similar)

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    36 grains of FFF blackpowder and a 200grain boolit with decent lube grooves (RCBS Cowboy or similar)
    thank u

Boolit Grand Master

36 gr FFG compressed with a big lube 200gr cast boolit. Works well for me too. Made my compression die from a bullet seat die, just turned the seat pin down after I filled it and filed it smooth. Turn it down until the powder is compressed to where the boolit sits on the powder with the crimp right.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    $200 for an Uberti levergun in decent condition is a screaming good deal. Congrats on that.

My full power load for .44-40 in my Cimarron (Uberti) 1873 Sporting Rifle with 24.25" barrel is bullets cast of 1:20 tin:lead in an Accurate Molds 43-215C, averaging 219 grains. I lube them with 50:50 beeswax and mutton tallow. Powder charge is 2.2cc of 3Fg black powder; Swiss is cleaner burning than Goex but either will work well. I do not use a separate compression die. Brass is Winchester or preferably Starline. The 43-215C carries enough lube for the rifle length barrel.

In my Cimarron 1860 Henry w/24.5" barrel I load the same bullet on top of 28 grains of 3Fg black powder + 0.5cc cornmeal filler to approximate the original .44 Henry rimfire ballistics.

I use either Federal or CCI large pistol primers. Magnum primers are not necessary, despite what a certain gunwriter has said.

Alliant Unique and Reloder 7 are also good powders for .44-40. Search the forum for relevant posts. Likewise, there's plenty of data for IMR-4227 and Alliant 2400.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot 5.0gr of RedDot,,200gr LFN bullet in 44-40.
    This is right off the Alliant Reloading Guide on line, listed as a Cowboy Load.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...id=45&oal=1.58

They show 5.9gr of RedDot as the MAX load,,their instructions say to reduce by 10% for a starting load.
    ,,I went to 5.0gr even and stay there.

I shoot these and have shot them for the last 10 years in an original Winchester Model 1973 (1887mfg). No problems at all, no damage to the linkage, no loosening, ect.
    Very accurate in the rifle out to 100m. I also shoot them in a Colt Bisley Model 5 1/2" (1905mfg IIRC).

Congrats on the Uberti Carbine, The price is absolutely a steal!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm getting 1400fps out of a 20" barrel with the above load using Goex. I'm getting about 900fps with the same load out of a 7.5" Uberti Cattleman.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Hunteatfish ... is this your rifle? And number produced is unknown
    http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-...e-20-45lc.html
    Regards
    John