Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee 2 vs 6 cavity molds

Boolit Buddy
    Got my 6 cavity in today from Midway. Seems much better built than the 2 cavities I had. Haven't had a chance to cast yet. I've got to smelt some ingots first.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Buddy
    My previous molds had the notches in the mold blocks and didn't always align that well. One had some horizontal steel pins in it that were undersized and didn't work very well either. This one seems to close solidly and appears to be free of any burrs.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Master
    The haters are a bit prone to exaggeration ,or in this case underestimation......the current lee pin and socket type 2 cavity molds I have, have shown no ill effects from casting many thousands of bullets......I cast a potfull thru one mold each session,say 500 bullets.....so they should be worn out after four sessions......which they aint....plenty of beeswax melted into the wearing spots,and they might be dark brown,but cast good as new.

Super Moderator

I really like Lee moulds, but they're not the only moulds I have ...............

................I enjoy the Lee six cavity moulds. IMHO the new 2 cavity blocks are a large improvement over the old "Roller Bearing" alignment types. The new 2 cav's main complaint is the 'Drive Rivet' handle attachment. If the rivet falls out, just drive it back in, but if you have the need to get one out, THAT's the problem

I'll admit to having ruined a couple of the old style 1 & 2 cavity jobs. And I'll further admit to having thrown (with all my might) a couple of the old one or 2 cavity moulds against the far wall of the shop. However I've always had better luck with the 6 cavity jobs.

(Left) Making 38 cal DEWC's (Right) Partial production using an old Group Buy 6 cav copy for the C268-132-RF.

One thing I will NEVER do however, and that is to buy a USED Lee mould of ANY type/description unless I can see it first!

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I have killed a couple 2 cavity lee molds when I started casting almost 30 years ago. No one to teach or show me. Got back into it a few years ago with help of this forum. I still like the Lee 6 cavity for strictly quantity casting. I have two identical 45 and 3 identical 9mm molds. run them as fast as I can and swap then when they get hot. Have cast Waaaay more than 2K in each. But, I have a ever increasing inventory of NOE and arsenal molds. Much better for quality casting, and NOE molds are a work of Art. Might see if AL over at NOE would sell me a buggered up mold to keep on my computer desk as a paper weight.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered my first "new style" 2 cav. Lee, their 358-200-RF for my yet to be built 35/30-30. I have two of their old style 2 cavity for low use boolits, 44 & 41 SWCs. I have dies and a custom Lee collet crimp die bought used from a member on the Marlin Owners forum. I decided to buy the peripherals first lest I end up with the rifle and nothing to load ammo with.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by craveman85 View Post
    I have 10# of wheel weights and a10# downrigger ball and 10# of mystery alloy at the moment. Used to have over 1000# of wheel weight ingots but they got stolen after a flood 5 years ago. The woman has a bunch of those little print blocks I think they're antinomy laying around the house. I may steal a few of those.
    Be careful.... stealing things from "The Woman" can get you in a lot of hot water.
    The print blocks are some kind of type metal, most common is Linotype .
    A friend in the printing business gave me a large box of type, I use it to add tin to a mix of lead and wheel weights. Ask "The Woman" nicely , she might be willing to give you some.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

About 2 hours worth of casting using the 6 cavity TL452-230-TC and 401-175-TC molds. I don't want to think about how long it would take to do this with 2 cavity molds.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    About 2 hours worth of casting using the 6 cavity TL452-230-TC and 401-175-TC molds. I don't want to think about how long it would take to do this with 2 cavity molds.

Extremely brave to post pictures of cast bullets on your wife's Christmas pot holders. May be used as evidence at her murder trial if she see's this post
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I see absolutely ZERO differnce between 2 and 6 bangers except the speed. I own almost every 2 and 6 banger mold Lee makes and hate the 2 cavity ones because they are sooooooo slooooooow. But they do not make every profile in 6’s. Silly.

Quality of your boolits is based upon: your mold temp when you start, Pb temp, casting techniques, Drop techniques, and how you hold your mouth (!). And not the number of cavities in the mold!

I also own 7 brass mult-cav molds and prefer those 1000% to the Al LEE molds. LEE’s are nice if you want to try out a style of boolit without investing a lot of $$ on brass.

And then there are the poor souls that still cast with ONE cavity molds!!!!! OMG.

Good luck.

Bangerjim

Smk , the only mold which I consider as a piece of art is my Eagan mx4 30ard, in accuracy & looks, Fivefang

Boolit Buddy

All 10 of my molds are LEE six cavity. The only molds I have ever used.
    They have worked great for 9 years now!

Worth pointing out NOE has a 20% off sale for the 4th of July week. But I have no real complaints about Lee molds except for the lack of a set screw to prevent the sprue plate hinge screw from working loose or tighter as it is cast with. I also tend to like the 4 cavity molds as a nice balance between productivity and weight. NOE has been my source for that configuration. Lee 2 cavities certainly last more than a 1000 bullets, heck I have more than that on hand ready to use and it wouldn't be the first time I filled up the 30 caliber ammo can with cast from that Lee mold.

Have a single cavity Lyman WC mold that when I get the rhythm right just drops them like a faucet. drip, drip, drip, drip. I don't think it actually takes 2x as long as using a 2 cavity mold. Do I wish I had it in 4 cavity? Sure I do but the single cavity seems to work just fine.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    As has been previously mentioned by others, No issues with the new Lee 6 cavities over here. I can't speak to the older Lee molds

To me, the new Lee 6 cav with the steel alignment pins/sockets, and the much improved cavity vents really are a bargain.

The Lee third Handle on the Sprue is pure genius! I wish every manufacturer provided this

Boolit Master

I like the 6 cavity better.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=bangerjim;439

And then there are the poor souls that still cast with ONE cavity molds!!!!! OMG.

Good luck.

Bangerjim[/QUOTE]

That would be me.

The first Lee mold I bought was a single cavity 160 gr rn that's not listed anymore ( altho the two cavity still is). I use it for my single shot 30/30 and when I want to plink with my Ruger #1 in 30/06 A.I.
    I even had a single cavity RCBS 400 gr mold for my .480 Ruger for a few years.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

My single cavity lyman .675 round ball mold works fantastic! Has saved me a ton of money.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123