Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 2 vs 6 cavity molds

Boolit Buddy
    Ordered the Lee 430-310 6 cavity. It's on sale on Midway USA. With the handles it was under 60$. I'm seeing a lot of people use synthetic 2 stroke oil for lubing it. I may go that route. This won't be my first mold so I'm hoping to get well over 2000 boolits from it. I used to cast the .458-405hb and the 458-500 for my .45-70. I like the sprue setup on the 6 cavity better. More using leverage than whacking it like on the 1 and 2 cavity ones.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Master

I have the 458-500, love that boolit.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    The idea that you can pick-up a Lee mold for twenty buck is amazing...
    Yes, I agree. I like the new Lee 2 cavity molds over the older ones. The alignment pins seem to work better for one thing. I have two of them now, one in .45 and one for 9 MM, they both drop nice round bullets. Some of the old style made oval shaped bullets. Maybe the equipment was updated for the new style or something?

Quote Originally Posted by craveman85

Someday I'll probably get a nice iron mold but I lost all my casting equipment about 5 years ago in a flood and have been on hiatus with cast loads since then. Have to rebuild my stash too. Used to have 1000+ lbs of wheel weight ingots but someone stole them all during the cleanup.
    I lost a lot of mine to a fire a couple years ago. Not all of it, but several molds, mostly Lee, but also at least one LBT and a Lyman 4 cav. Lost a Lee 10 LB. furnace, fortunately my RCBS pot wasn't there. The fire melted around 4-500 pounds of cleaned up wheel weights and a couple hundred LBS. of Linotype, and a few thousand bullets. We had bought the house it was stored in as a fixer-upper to flip, I set up some casting equipment in one of the bed rooms and had left it stored there. That winter someone, probably a homeless type, had broken into it and was evidently staying there. I had several electric heaters stored in another room, they had been moved into the room with the casting equipment where the trespasser was probably sleeping and I think that started the fire.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Buy Accurate or Noe moulds. Worth the extra. Gp
    I have neither, a situation I hope to correct in the not too distant future.

Boolit Buddy
    The 44 I'm going to be reloading for I actually don't have yet. I'm getting my pistol permit which could take a few more weeks or months. Once I get it and can slug it and mic the throats and see if she'll like cast then I'll most likely get a good iron mold for some 240 grain pills. Or maybe even go bigger than the 310.

Boolit Buddy
    Is bullplate even available anymore. Can't seem to find it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a number or Lee molds (part of the 100+ mold collection) and find them very serviceable. However, some of the 6 cavity molds have had a tendency to warp. I have found it most prevalent in .44 and .45 cals. Where the center boolits were larger in diameter and ovoid in shape compared to the ones nearest the ends.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I don't find the Lee molds to be the equal of the better manufacturers (MP, Noe, Accurate, Arsenal). That said, I own and use several of them and the 2 cavity are serviceable enough for low volume boolits. Would I want a 2 cavity for 38 wadcutters? No, I shoot buckets of them. Do they suffice for 30-06 boolits that I might not shoot a couple hundred of in a year or two? Sure, and for 20 bucks I can't hardly complain.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

In Remembrance

I still have some very old LEE molds bought over forty years ago and they still work just fine TYVM. It seems that those who decry the LEEs buy them for price and then treat them like traditional iron/brass molds vs. following LEE's instructions to the letter to keep them going........and going...........and going. I have some RCBS and Lyman molds, sure, but I BUY LEEs these days! As posted above my only complaint is there are not 6-cavs available in more of their boolit designs.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master

One thing to keep in mind, at least for the handgun molds -

the 6-cav molds I've seen are NOT bevel base.

All the 2-cav molds I've seen ARE bevel base.

Boolit Buddy
    Bevel base? I've been out of the game a while and never casted handgun stuff before.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple lee 6 cavity molds I produce a lot of boolits with for the 9s and 45s I don't babe them / or abuse them but over the last couple years with a little care they have held up well . I figure that 356-120 tc has earned its keep . I love noe , saeco , mp , and the others but at 40. Bucks Lee's all right with me .

Boolit Master
    Most of my molds are two cavity lee. I almost messed up the 9 mm mold by not lubing it good enuf.the top of the mold starting getting scratching on it from the spur cutter. Just didint lube it good. I found the two cycle or refrigerant oil works good and all my problems went away. The 9 mm and my 357 mold have over 4000 rounds easally on them

Boolit Buddy
    Do you guys buy separate handles for every 6 cavity or swap them out between molds.

Boolit Master
    I try to have handles on all the molds I often use . Lee molds don't like to have the screws played with .

Boolit Master

I have 3 old 2cav Lee molds my Dad bought at a gun show 30yrs ago. He gave then to me to start casting bullets for COWBOY SHOOTING. I've cast thousands of bullets from them. I used 2-stroke motor oil on the alignment "pins/cuts" and on the bottom of the sprue plate. The oil was wiped on and then off the sprue plate bottom after 10 seconds. I've taken very good care of them and treated them with care.

I treated the new 2cav molds the same way. But it just was impossible to find that "sweet spot" of lead temperature to get consistent bullets. Very disappointing.

I just cast 1250+ bullets out of a pair of aluminium molds. One N.O.E. 44-240 4cav and one ACCURATE 45-210 5cav.

BUY QUALITY, It's worth the extra money.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Still in South Texas---about 100 miles north of Laredo.
    Try Bullshop Forums---Dan has his own forum now. If you can't raise him, PM me, and I will look up his phone # for you. Yes, bullplate if still available, even has an improved version.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, at least for the handgun molds -

the 6-cav molds I've seen are NOT bevel base.

All the 2-cav molds I've seen ARE bevel base.
    I've recently been working with the following bullets cast from newish Lee 6 cav molds. All have a little bevel base:

356-125-2R
    356-120-TC
    452-200-SWC (H&G 68 clone)

The 6 cav molds are much better quality than the 2 hole mold that I have. The 2 cav is the only one I won't use any more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    I still have some very old LEE molds bought over forty years ago and they still work just fine TYVM. It seems that those who decry the LEEs buy them for price and then treat them like traditional iron/brass molds vs. following LEE's instructions to the letter to keep them going........and going...........and going. I have some RCBS and Lyman molds, sure, but I BUY LEEs these days! As posted above my only complaint is there are not 6-cavs available in more of their boolit designs.
    yep, with care, there is no reason a lee mold should be worn out at 2000 rounds. As I said.. I bought a few molds just recently and they probably made 2000 rounds each their first month,and the molds barely look handled.

Boolit Bub
    Lee 2 cavity molds are a cheap way to try out a particular bullet style, for example a truncated cone in 9mm to see if there are any chambering problems, before buying a high dollar mold. And the new style 2 cavs seem to work pretty well and make concentric bullets. The older ones seemed to be a case of "you pays yer money and takes yer chances."

I like my Lymans (several), RCBS (two), LBT (several), Mountain Molds (one), and my one H & G mold, but there is a definite niche for Lees also. I have owned several of them over the years beginning with round ball for muzzle loaders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast