RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Cast bullets in 4095TS Hi Point

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Cast bullets in 4095TS Hi Point

I posted this on the Hi Pont forum and received minimal response which really didn't help me much so I thought I'd try here.

I had a very disappointing time with the 4095 over the weekend using cast bullet loads. "Groups" would have made any self respecting shotgun with buckshot embarrassed. I was hoping at least to be able to get 3" or so at 25 yards but the reality is more like 12" random dispersion, 10 shots. The upside is that the FMJ factory stuff shot great, less than 2" at 25 yards. Actually 7 of them were inside 1 1/4" with the other 3 opening up the group. It may have been my sight alignment since I'm not that used to Red Dot sights.

Anyway, my question is this; do any of you shoot cast through your 4095? If so, what are you using for your load? I realize some folks have a concern about posting data and that's fine. I just would like an idea of what bullet, sized diameter, more or less the hardness, kind of powder, etc. Currently I'm using the loads that work extremely well in my SIG P226 using either 700X or HERCO and the LEE 175 TCBB. Definitely NOT 4095 fodder.

For what it's worth, I shot 70 shots and there was not even a trace of leading.

I really would like to get the cast bullet thing working because if I have to buy jacketed bullets it will drastically curtail my shooting of this gun. My cost to cast, size and lube theses .40 caliber bullets runs a bit less than $.02 each, including the cost of electricity for the melting pot, while the cost of buying jacketed bullets runs a wee bit more.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    I did before they got banned in my state. I do not recall the charge I used. But I do recall that I wasted my time working up a load. I kept to factor specs and things worked great. Sorry it has been five years since I had to part with the gun.

The gun is designed to fire off the shelf ammo. So try to load to factory data just with a cast bullet. You might even need to load down a bit due to the longer barrel and powder burn time. A smarter fellow then I will jump in here and give you a better answer. Just thought I would let you know there is hope. I am just having a case of the CRS at the moment. Sorry.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Banned

I had one and gave it to the next door neighbors kid. its ran probably a 100k of cast loads. Had to be sent back once to get the rails replaced due to wear. It shoots cast bullets just fine. It eats about anything cast, mild or hot. It does shoot much better with harder lead alloys though. Never leaded with alloys around 10bhn but shot groups much better with bullets around #2 in hardness or water dropped ww. Ive shot many one inch 25 yard 5 shot groups with it. If it wouldn't have been so but ugly id probably still have it in the safe. But this way its at least being shot ALOT.

Try a stout load of BlueDot with your cast boolits powdercoated.Took both to make my 4095 happy

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    Try a stout load of BlueDot with your cast boolits powdercoated.Took both to make my 4095 happy
    Oddly enough, many years ago I had a 4006 S&W that I used Blue Dot loads in. Only had a small amount of BD left so really didn't want to have to buy another batch. However, I gave it a try a couple of weeks ago.

Loaded up a middle of the chart load and sure enough, that healed it, 30 shots in just a little over 2" at 25 yards. I don't powder coat, just use good old Carnuba Red, or a 50/50 blend of NRA/ALOX and some OLD CH high temp lube from many years ago, the LEE bullet cast pretty much straight WW with just an occasional addition of Babbitt.

As I have stated in other threads, this little carbine is almost too much fun. Admittedly a HORRIBLE trigger, but for the price a real hoot to shoot!
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I am using some of the etr 7 at 4.7 grains with a 150 grain tumble lubed unsized in my hi point 40 carbine , wheelweight mixed lead air cooled . It shoots good and feeds without a hitch .

I have although my groups were a bit larger than I like. I suspect it would like boolits a couple thousandths larger than what I have been feeding it.

I know it is a Lee 2 cavity at 175 gr TC.

I was running mine over a light load of Red Dot at 4.5 if I remember and got sooty cases. Took it up to 5 and they cleaned right up.

Frankly I have somewhat neglected the .40sw since I got the 9mm and .45acp to play with.

Good time to do a chamber cast and see what it wants.