MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon Brass wand for brass pickup?

Dillon Brass wand for brass pickup?

Hi,
    Anyone use the Dillon brass wand for picking up range brass? I shoot pistol on a packed dirt surface and .223 on a concrete pad at my local range. I was thinking to get one of these items if it works well. Also I was thinking after its partially full it might dump brass as fast as it picks it up.
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/bras...8_8_25715.html

Boolit Master

Being, primarily, a wheelgun shooter these days, I don't have much use for a pick-up tool but, last weekend, noticed one of our steel shooters using one to police up his 9mm brass after a practice session and it looked like it worked pretty darn good. I suspect you may be right about a capacity issue, though, because I noticed that Terry was only filling his half-way before emptying it into his range bag.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Our range has several of them. Personally, I don't use them. The squeegees seem to work better on concrete. Just my personal opinion.

I don't have one but have also look at these a little more expensive but an alternative. They have one for $59.00 right now.
    https://ammoupusa.com/
    Last edited by Minerat; 05-09-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: bogus link fixed
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    read the reviews:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2NNRK3E1G3492

Edit: the Weasel Small Nut Gatherer has 8 reviews that mention "range" and brass pick-up
    https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel...gathering+tool
    Last edited by Kenstone; 05-09-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: add info

Boolit Master
    Not sure but they work well for pecans!! LOL!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a Brass Wizard, same as the Dillon, and it works well. Only fill it up partially, otherwise it leaks due to the weight of the brass in the cage. I don't leave home without it! It gets it all, pistol, rifle, .22s. Haven't tried it for shotshell, but probably would work.

I bought a number of nut wizards from the fellow that invented them, years ago. They worked great.

He sells them for lots of different things (diameters). Was really shocked when he sent them to me and once I received them had the address to send the check to for payment.

I hope he is doing great and getting something out of his invention.

http://www.nutwizard.com

Boolit Buddy
    I have two. They do not pick up 22's very well but work great on everything from 380 to 30-06. When the basket gets about a third full it starts to loose cases. A couple things to remember are to roll parallel to the cases and do not push down on the handle. The wires spread if too much weight is put on them causing the cases to fall out.

Boolit Bub
    I drive 25 miles to an outdoor range, mainly because none of the closer indoor ranges allow you to pick up the brass you bought. Because of the drive, when I go, I carry 200 rounds minimum. Bending over two hundred times to pick up brass is for the younger backs! I have seen these used for years by people with pecan trees, and they work great. I ordered one from Dillon a couple of weeks ago and it picks up brass, just as well as nuts, but needs to be emptied more often because of the weight of brass. I believe the Dillon one is made in the same specs as the original, if not the same US company. It also comes with the wire that attaches to a bucket that spreads the pick up wires for emptying, looks like that's an additional $14 on Amazon.

Boolit Master
    You WILL pick up the occasional piece of gravel, but it works as advertised.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Mine works great on packed sand. I did not purchase from Dillon. Mine is a nut picker. It does leak when it gets heavy but my old back appreciates it.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Bub
    HaHaHa! Now that might be too much of a good thing! Proves the contraption works though.

Nut rollers are marketed under several names. They work well.

Boolit Master

Bad back here, I couldn't shoot my autos without one.
    They don't work on soft sand, but other than that they are great--they work.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    I have one and it works very well. Saves the back.

Boolit Master

I have the Midway version with the telescoping handle. It works really well as long as you don't push down on the handle. If you do the wires spread and some of the brass falls out. I don't go to the range without it.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    I have been using a small pecan picker (rolling wire basket) for about 15 years. It will pick up everything from 22-45 and rifle cases. It originally came with a wooden handle, but I installed and aluminium painters roller handle that will collapse to make it more portable. When the word got out these were great for picking up brass the pickers got a new name and doubled in price.
    Last edited by Dragonheart; 05-15-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Used the caldwell version for about 5 minutes. As much brass falls out as would stick in. Total waste of time and effort. Took it back for a refund. I shoot outdoors, so it has to deal with leaves and grass. I just figured it would work best on concrete or asphalt, but I'd imagine the same issue of brass falling out as brass spreads the wire to get in would still exist. We have a mix of 45 and 9. All the 9 would fall out as the 45 tried to get in. Also had some rifle rounds. Was just an all around fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast