Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forklift battery cells

Boolit Buddy

Forklift battery cells

I know car batteries are not really a great source of lead but what about forklift cells. Have a friend who has 6 dead cells and was wondering if it was worth the hassle.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Banned
    Same as car batteries. It's just a big flooded cell with the same acid and the same dangers.

+1 Don't do it. Take them to a recycling center.

Boolit Master

+1 or 2 or3
    a battery is a battery is a battery, as long as you are talking lead acid batteries.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Vendor Sponsor

In a word ...NO. In 2 words No No
    Not worth the dangers to your health
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Best way to convert them is to get cash for them and buy ingots here.

Boolit Grand Master

I've salvaged lead from lead acid batteries with no problems. I think its mostly the newer maintenance free batteries that are dangerous. But, the lead I got was mostly lead oxide and melted down to nothing. If you ruin a shirt or pair of pants you lost money! I agree with the others, don't do it. Just sell them and buy lead with the proceeds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I've salvaged lead from lead acid batteries with no problems. I think its mostly the newer maintenance free batteries that are dangerous. But, the lead I got was mostly lead oxide and melted down to nothing. If you ruin a shirt or pair of pants you lost money! I agree with the others, don't do it. Just sell them and buy lead with the proceeds.
    Most of the people I talked to that dealt with batteries, all they used was the posts and the buss bar connectors.. they didn't dink with the plates, which as mentioned.. was mostly oxide.

Boolit Master
    around here, the recyclers pay $10 for a battery. and they yield only 3 pounds of lead. do the math.

Boolit Master

Only worth the effort during the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

Banned
    craveman85,

There is a local battery rebuilder here in SA that pay 8-12 bucks each for BIG batteries.
    (I'd bet there are similar places where you live, too.)

IF I had those batteries, I'd sell them to the rebuilder & use the money to buy scrap lead from Neuman's (our local scrap metals yard) & save all the hassle, danger from acid spills, possible environmental contamination, messing about, etc. = Even 10 bucks worth of wheel weights will make a lot of CB.
    (At least in The Alamo City, scrap lead is less than a buck a pound. - In my case, a nice gent recently GAVE me fifty plus pounds for the cost of driving to get it.)

just my OPINION, tex

Boolit Master

I'm envious of you guys that have scrapyards that SELL. ours only buys..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I'm envious of you guys that have scrapyards that SELL. ours only buys..
    We're close enough they may be the same scrapyards, but yeah, it sucks.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    Most around my area don't sell. I was hoping the heavy duty deep cycle batteries would have more lead % in them than car batteries. I even tried trading one yard equal amounts of brass for lead and they wouldn't
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    DO NOT go there!!!!! Take the old lift batteries to a scrap yard, get the $10-12 or so, and buy your Pb on here or locally if you still can. I think NY is one of those commy/liberal/"eco-friendly" states that does not allow buying of Pb by individuals!

NEVER tear apart any wet cell battery in the faint hope of saving a few $$ on Pb. Your hospital/funeral bills will far outweigh any savings you may ever hope to render!

bangerjim

no sir just like ever one else don't do it sell it and buy lead with it here I am just like every one else giving you the same advise D Crockett

Banned
    craveman85,

A friend of mine, who is "in heavy equipment", told me on Saturday that if you
    "call around to the local battery rebuilders" that you MAY get "a really good price" for your forklift batteries. - That would give you $$$$$$$ to buy clean lead.

yours, tex

It seems that there are certain questions that keep coming up. This being one of them. The answer was no, is no, and will be no. Even in french they say "Non!"

Sometimes I wonder if there should be a sticky that is required reading to post. Answers to the 10 most common questions with well established answers. Along with a few links to items that are often posted as suggested reading.

#1 might well be: Bad idea to get lead from melting down batteries
    #2 might be: You want the alloy calculator, it is free so download it. Download free Open Office to run the calculator if you don't have MS Excel. It can answer most any question about "what can I mix to make....".
    #3 might be all the terms and TLA's (Two or Three Letter Acronyms) Sn, Sb, Pb, COWW (ok that is 4 letters) Smelting, MFRB etc.

Nothing wrong with folks just posting answers but in some ways a quick overview thread of Frequently Asked Questions saves everyone time.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I guess a lotta folls did not pay very much in chemistry class!!!!!!!! I pretty know the entire periodic table.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I guess a lotta folls did not pay very much in chemistry class!!!!!!!! I pretty know the entire periodic table.
    Yeah but you are weird (in a good way but still weird) I only paid enough attention to understand how to make "interesting" stuff. Like ammonia and iodine Or everyone's favorite mole and ground hornet remover. 2 KNO3 + S + 3 C
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast