Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug Out BOX ?

Here is one for you survival/prepper folks, has anyone already come up with a 'grab-an-go' box that will hold the essential reloading tools?
    No, it would be much easier to take loaded ammunition. Not to mention that a press, primers, powder, empty brass and bullets would take up more space and that’s even forgetting the press. Then you might want to add casting equipment and such.

No, I’d be more likely to “bug in” myself and just get the belt fed out to keep the bug out folks off my place.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    No, I’d be more likely to “bug in” myself and just get the belt fed out to keep the bug out folks off my place.
    I “pity the fools” that mount an attack on MacGyver’s (aka Jmorris) compound.

Boolit Master
    To me bugging out means you are headed for a secondary place of refuge. In that case you would have supplies available there. If you are just bugging out with no destination you are just a refugee with more to think about than loading ammo. As a refugee how many confrontations would you expect to survive to where you would need to load more ammo? It wouldn't be a Rambo movie where everyone else gets shot except you.

Boolit Grand Master

There won't be any "bug out" for me. At one time I probably could have survived in the wilds and lived out of a backpack. But, like many of you, I have gotten old and developed health problems. Also, my Wife is on some medication that she cannot survive without and I would just hunker down on site and try to keep her comfortable until the end. Unfortunately, that would probably be my end too.

I agree with the others though. Forget about reloading and stock loaded ammo. Reloading equipment just weighs too much and takes up too much space. Maybe have a fallback position and stock some more ammo and supplies there unless you already live in your fallback place. Find some one or several someones like jmorris to join up with.

There are too many scenarios to make really solid plans. One would be an event where most of the population was killed off. Another would be economic collapse where huge numbers of people were roaming around robbing and looting. Another would be a "Red Dawn" type of event where we were invaded by a foreign military. Each of these would require a different plan.

Boolit Bub
    WoW ~ ~ ~ I didn't realize what a bad idea this was. I was not thinking of casting equipment. Only loading equipment. An ol' Lyman tool and dies, some powder/primers some brass. But as I read these responses I agree taking loaded ammo is probably the best way to go. Limit the number of different calibers and use rifle/pistol combos where possible. A guy would almost have to take a carbine in .223 or 7.62x39 because of the possibly on "pick up" ammo.

Well, maybe I will still sit down with some Jack D. and ponder it some more. But probably not for long. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sarge
    Sgt. Red Leg
    NRA Benefactor #17260151
    SASS Life #5906
    R.A.T.S. #381
    G.A.F. #685
    Ruger Collector #9142
    M1 Garand Collecter #21959
    California Rifle & Pistol Association Life #16436

Where would you go? What’s your plan when you get there?

Ammunition might be pretty far down the list on things you might want. There would be a significant difference in mentality between a “prepper” guy and a “bug out” guy. One guy collects a lot of stuff and another has a grab bag of essentials.

I remember one fellow back when the sky was supposed to fall at midnight on December 31 1999, that had at least a decades worth of everything from soap, feminine hygiene products, you name it.

I’d think about the perishable items we all like and need, well before reloading.

Boolit Master
    I recently retired and moved to my bug out place, a small rural town in Montana with a lot of like minded folks. I'm to old to run so I will have to stand where I am and do whatever it takes to protect myself and family as long as I can. With luck I will die of old age without any major civil disruption.

You could start caching ammo/ supplies in remote locations if you are that worried about it. Some 12" pvc pipe with caps and throw in some desiccant.

Make sure you share the gps coordinates with the rest of us in case you forget.

Banned

yup just take all the ammo you have room for. Your going to be to busy finding food and water to stay alive in a real bug out senerio and you cant stop in a gun fight and load ammo
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    No, it would be much easier to take loaded ammunition. Not to mention that a press, primers, powder, empty brass and bullets would take up more space and that’s even forgetting the press. Then you might want to add casting equipment and such.

Boolit Grand Master

My current bug out box now contains only my meds,,,,,, and a map back home from the drugstore. Every bottle has the warning that the med may cause drowsiness.
    Good thing I live only 2 blocks away.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned

ya id about need a wheelbarrow to haul all my meds and have to take over a pharmacy before I took over a store! My son likes that prepping thing and bug out ****. Me I'm to old to leave. Ill stand my ground here where I have an endless supply of water, food to last a while, and enough guns and ammo to fight off any bad guys alone. Hopefully if they drop THE bomb they drop it right on my head!

Boolit Grand Master

I grew up/lived in So. CA until I retired 9 yeas ago, so I'm used to "prepping" but for earthquakes. As we all know if there is a disaster in, around, near Los Angeles there will be looting so part of my "Earthquake Preparedness Kit" was a 1911 with a few hundred rounds. I also had a 30' sailboat that had about 1 month's worth of food and a "marine quality" 12 gauge pump with 100 rounds of ammo close at hand.

If there's a major apocalypse I figger I'm going in the rapture so long term readiness don't matter to me, but for short term evacuations, a couple weeks or a month, a 45 ACP or 9mm with a couple hundred rounds will suffice...
    Last edited by mdi; 05-14-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I have a few different lee loaders and a one load manual for the few calibers I would want in a shtf situation, but i call it my "Cabin Kit", for when I get a cabin built, or extended camping trips. Its fun to load up emptied 44 mag on a stump with a lee whack a mole while out in the mountains truck camping. But I'm not carrying that stuff anywhere!
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Banned
    I read a good Sci-Fi book a while back where the good guy carried a .22LR rifle. The idea was he could carry several hundred rounds on him at all times. But, it was quiet. No cans back then, though the report is not so loud, like a .223 or worse a .308 caliber anything that it would attract attention two miles away. He figured he could kill anything that needed killing using clear thinking and good shot placement.

Made sense to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr Pressman,

The 22 rimfire comes up as a fine working gun for a variety of possibilities from Mossad wet work to post-Apocalyptic scenarios in a variety of fictional scenarios. If popularity is any indication, the 22 LR is certainly a strong contender. I'm thinking a 22 semi-auto pistol in the hands of someone who really knows how to use it would be a good last ditch and routine hunting gun while I would still want something with a lot more punch for two legged "game." I guess since it would not be routine use, I would want factory ammo in (a) factory box(es) in some modest amount, say a minimum of 500 rounds, better 1000. In view of modern conditions, I'd say a well dressed MSR would probably be my choice to go with the basic High Standard 22 Supermatic. Since I'm stationary, a well trusted 9mm or Gov't Model with another 500 to 1000 rounds would probably be there to back things up. Of course there would also be a Remington 870 with 250 rounds (a case) of birdshot and 25 rounds of buck.

Yep, bugging out is probably not an option... looks like I'll be bugging in. Oh yeah, portable reloading equipment is fun but it is not in my survival plan... your strategies have to fit you.

The Well Armed Frog
    "If a frog had a gun in his pocket he wouldn't have to worry about snakes!"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your preparation was obviously faulty!"
    "It aint easy being green!"

I’ve busted hogs pretty quiet with a 458 socom, subsonic and suppressed. Domesticated animals don’t take much more than a knife. Fish only need a pole and line. I’m not a huge fan of fish but could sustain my family’s life off the 9 ponds we have. Then again an egg turns into a chicken every 21 days...

I think a mobile reloading kit for the end of the world is a good idea. Lets say you ride it out, and want to keep your only rifle running, You might get by with a minimum in a backpack. Why dont you just grab whatever rifle you come across that has ammo you ask? Well, what if its the only thing your grandpa left you, and all you was able to grab when your house burnt down.

Obviously you arent going to be reloading for a hobby after the end of the world. But you might very well need to in order to survive. Think of the mountain men and cowboys. The mountain men all did muzzle loaders, and the cowboys eventually had loading tools to go with their rifles. I dont imagine they canned their loading stuff under the premise there was a lot more things they would have to worry about.

Fact is, if you can make ammo for your gun, you have a much better chance of shooting an animal to eat.

Most done said, they aint bugging out, me either. But think of this folks, after the end, after the firefights, after others have starved to death, what are you going to do in the event of a wildfire? You're going to bug out.

I think reloading will be a big part of surviving in the post apocalyptic world after the loaded ammo is all gone.
    Its like having a stockpile of canned food and seeds and knowledge to grow and preserve.

If I did bug out, not that I want to, but if I had to. I would travel by water. We have 2 kayaks, a 15 foot lightweight canoe, and a 10 foot light weight Jon boat with trolling motor. Red River of the north is 8 blocks away. If my garden tractor runs that would haul it all fairly quietly some 2-3 am.

Lee hand press, FA hand depriming unit, RCBS Hand Primer. Dies, size dies, molds for a limited number of calibers would be my most likely choice. I have a 9mm barrel for my H&R Handi rifle, and a 9mm pistol.
    That is a pretty obvious choice. 12 ga shotgun with a variety of lead birdshot, buckshot, slugs would be another.

I've taken several deer with shotgun and slugs, no sweat there.

Boolit Master
    I'm hoping everyone else bugs out, I'll stay behind and make some improvements to my home.
    But if I HAD to bug out the "box" would look more like a 14' U-haul truck.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

same here but make my trailer 20 foot with a heater and a bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I'm hoping everyone else bugs out, I'll stay behind and make some improvements to my home.
    But if I HAD to bug out the "box" would look more like a 14' U-haul truck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast