RotoMetals2WidenersPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your least picky 22? (accuracy wise)

Boolit Buddy

What's your least picky 22? (accuracy wise)

This is inspired by the stock up thread going at the moment, didn't want to drift the thread too far. But with the shortage as it was we all got what ammo was available and it's only recently for many of us that many choices exist on the shelf. A 22 that that is less picky is a real advantage in a situation like that. Obviously the manual actions won't have feeding issues like the semi-autos do, but I'm mainly concerned with accuracy here.

I know that different guns will "like" different ammo for various reasons (chamber fit, velocity, how loose tolerances for powder measuring were, batch of lead, length of projectile, etc). I also know that a good gun will get more out of subpar ammo than a average gun.

So I was wondering what your experiences have been with ammo and 22s. If you didn't know what type of ammo you were going to get for your 22, which 22 rifle would you use?
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Remington 550-1, it was my dad's, made in 1957. He restocked it when he worked at Fajen's. Started really shooting that thing when I was about 12. I'd buy a brick every couple weeks, whatever was cheapest. Surprised I never shot out the barrel. Great gun for a kid wandering around the farm plinking/ hunting rabbits and squirrels. It has eaten up everything I've ever put in it and shot well and accurately. But it really has a thing for the Winchester Wildcat 22LR rounds.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

My Remington 581-S bolt action shoots very well with most ammo. I once tried some steel case Russian ammo that shot fine but would stick in the chamber. I ended up using those up in a SA revolver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

+1 on the 550-1 and wildcats! That old gun shoots everything well, but wildcats were minute of squirrel head every time. Had to do a rust reblue on mine (also a '57) after a home cleaning brew stripped the patina to the white.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160903_222542-1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	220089
    Please forgive the tacky scope, my eyes aren't minute of squirrel with the fine irons. When we used to go shoot bottles at the dump, buddies were amazed how often I could spin the cap off a bottle without damaging the bottle.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Marlin XT-22 (it's a Remlin, actually). Likes all kinds of CCI, but shoots Rem, Fed, and many others almost as accurately.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Kimber model 82 deluxe sporter , not real fussy about ammo but does like the old Winchester super-x I bought years ago . Much later I found it likes the Wolf match ammo as well .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I have a 70s vintage Marlin model 60 that I got for around 100.00 at the pawn shop. I replaced the buffer, recoil and hammer spring, and the magazine spring. Ugly as sin.... but she's ole faithful. A squirt of remoil is all that it needs, even though I do clean it once in a while.

It feeds anything i've tried, and accuracy seems good with all i've tried. I have no problem hitting an empty shotgun hull out to 50 yards with whatever ammo I happen to have handy. It seems that it likes the winchester 333/555 hollow points pretty good. It feeds them without problem, which surprised me as its square nosed. It runs thunderbolts without malfunction but needs some extra lube cause its dirty, and golden bullets run perfect and accurate too.

I aint tried any standard velocity stuff yet. I have several boxes of it, but you cant get it bulk normally, so I dont even bother with accuracy testing it. I have heard it might not cycle...but I expect it will

Boolit Master
    My Ruger Mark IV pistol. I recently made the discovery that off a rest, that pistol will hit 3" metal targets at 100 yards. It's uncanny-- and I don't even have to change how I use the sights. I also have an old Remington rifle-- but it cannot do better than the Ruger.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I have an old Winchester model 72a bolt action. It likes everything. It does a bit better with target grade ammo but shoots minute of squirrel head at 50 yards with every type of ammo I have tried in it.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

What's your least picky 22? (accuracy wise)

Win 52a, newer Japan made. Anything in Long Rifle has pretty much stayed under 1/2” at 50 yards. Eye of squirrel—5 in 3/8” if it really liked it. Dynapoints, wildcats, CCI, Federal. I avoid thunderduds, as I prefer ammo that goes bang. “Golden bullets” in bulk especially quiet, with up to a dozen clicks per box . Maybe they should add priming compound to them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 05-08-2018 at 11:22 PM.

A Brno model 1, not picky on ammo and will shoot sub moa out to 100 yards. Purchased in Bolivia by my grandfather in 1951 when he was working on the dam in Peru for MK.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Mauser model 105. It's one of the most consistent shooters I've ever owned, it'll feed and shoot almost anything into small groups. The Remington 581 is another omnivore.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    My Marlin 39 carbine digests everything I put through it....same poi out to fifty yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester 52 reproduction and cz 452 shoot most decent ammo good,targetammo great.
    A better question might be which ammo shoots good in most of your guns? For me it's Federal 510 champion shoots good in most of my guns,under inch at 50 in the above 2. My pistols seem more picky about ammo cci standard velocity shoots fair in most of them.

Boolit Master

+2 on the 550-1. Purchased it in the late 50's and not only will it digest anything I feed it, it doesn't mind a tube loaded with a mix of LR, Shorts, or Longs(when I could still find them).

I've got an old Remington 572 pump from '71. That thing shoots any ammo I've ever put through it. I've killed Chipmunks at 75 yards with it using the Federal cheap stuff (back when a 550 pack was $9 at WM)...I've run Armscor, Aquilla, Fed, Win, and Rem through it and it just doesn't misfire. Targets are usually a one ragged hole when I'm done. POI is different from brand to brand...but overall spread is about the same. I just purchased a Henry H001 22 and its a bit more finicky when it comes to accuracy from brand to brand. It likes the Aguilla and Winchester...not so much the Remington or Federal....they shoot ok...just not as accurate.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 05-09-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: big was the wrong word.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    My Win 52a puts them all in the same hole. Doesn’t care if I even mix them up. No poi change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My least picky 22 rifle is my Savage Anschutz model 54 sporter. Bought it new in 1968 and have been shooting it ever since. It will do 1 inch at 50 yards with about any 22 ammo that I can find and with the stuff it really likes will do 1 inch or less at 100 yards all day long.

Boolit Master
    I have three that are not picky at all. MK IV. CZ455 PT. Glenfield Mod 25. My 10/22 and Marlin 60 are picky. Same with all my 22 pistols other then the 22/45.

My go to ammo for everything under the sun in fun is CCI Blazer. Eley for my CZ when it counts.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Winchester M69 shoots most decent ammo well, as do both my M67 rifles. A M52 repro is ok with anything but OUTSTANDING with CCI subsonic hollow points. 3/8 at 50 for 5 but does 3/4 at 50 with almost anything. Honestly, I suspect the gun is machine rest capable of .1 , but with the 6x hunting scope all I can do is 3/8
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast