Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Ingot ID

Boolit Buddy

Ingot ID

Drove by and stopped at a proper scrap yard today. Was pleasantly surprised to find a large bin full of lead. While they were clearing a path to the bin for the forklift I was scouting around and found an 8" piece of ingot. Trapeziod shaped, 2" base and 2" in height. Pretty hard, looks like someone broke off both ends with a chisel. Doesn't react to the acid test. On the top it says NOT TO BE SOLD MOL the rest is cut off.

Any ideas of what it could be? I'm waiting for my wife to get home and use her Wheel of Fortune skills on it. In the mean time I'm tryin to figure it out on my own. LOL

Boolit Master
    I’m thinking Linotype if it is shaped like a V from end view.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Grand Master

It could be about anything but it sounds like a section from a linotype pig. They are usually "U" shaped or kind of rounded on bottom.

Anything like this..

Boolit Buddy
    No, it's an Isosceles trapezoid shape. 2" across the bottom, 1" across the top, angled sides.

Just noticed the font in the picture. The piece I have has the same font, must be the center section of the ingots at the very bottom of the picture.

Is that muffin shaped ingot also a common linotype ingot. I saw a couple similar to it. Any markings on it?
    Last edited by Pardini; 05-08-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    I think the six sided muffins with with cast in markings, some times found a connected string of up to five ingots of five pounds each, are plumber's lead, usually very soft lead that is or is close to pure.

If you look at the muffin closely it says pure on it.

Boolit Master
    Retumbo, did you ever reply when asked if those ingots with an eye on each end sounded with a thud or a clang when struck with a hammer? Seeing that the ends are bent, it is questionable if they are linotype. Usually the lino will break due to it being brittle. Those ends are bent like scrap lead ingots.
    Dusty

They are not lino. I think someobe repurposed the mold. They seem to be pure and wheel weights. How do i know wheel weights....one ingot has a clip showing

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I think the six sided muffins with with cast in markings, some times found a connected string of up to five ingots of five pounds each, are plumber's lead, usually very soft lead that is or is close to pure.
    Sounds like lino. I used to buy it locally & it came in 22# pigs shaped like that with an open ring at one end. The good ole days, less than $1/#.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    They are not lino. I think someobe repurposed the mold. They seem to be pure and wheel weights. How do i know wheel weights....one ingot has a clip showing
    Still a decent deal and a good pistol alloy. And you still have the HT/Q options if needed. Good score.