RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 327 Federal Resizing Dies

I use Hornady dies for 32 S&W and 32 H&R Mag and I load 32 ACP ,32 S&W, 32S&W L ,32 H&R Mag and 327Mag with out any problems. I use Fed brass for my 327 mag. I have no problem with split brass.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    To avoid making assumptions or guesses about maximum and minimum chambers and cartridges just look up the SAAMI data. It is on the net.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I also load for an sp101 and a single seven 327 and have loaded with ww296 and 300-mp both close to max started with 10% down alliant data and Hornady starting data working up with 100 grain Hornady loaded with the 4 die Lee set.
    But mine have all been with once fired federal brass I have lost no brass to splitting the only issues I have had is loose primer pockets from the factory loads in some of the cases , and a few pierced primers even on very light loads . But I have have had no sticky extractions .
    I have had great experience with star line brass in other cartridges your splitting is a mystery to me.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking abut my previous post where I said I get no sticky extraction that is true unless I shoot 32 S&W L and or 32 H&R before 327 shooting the short cases first with out cleaning will make the 327 cases stick.
    Same as 38 and 357. And I could not get away with neck sizing unless I designated which 327 they were for , my sp101 has tighter chambers than my single 7 brass fired in the SS will not go in the 101 without full length resizing.

Boolit Buddy
    I was using Lee dies as well. I had problems with split cases and kind of a hourglass shaped after flaring the mouths. I did not have extraction issues though, just a weird, significant shoulder at the case head. I’m using a mixture of brass with majority being Starline.

I ordered a RCBS cowboy sizing die (its for 32 S&W Long though) this helped a lot. I have not measured the cases, but I no longer have the noticeable shoulder at the case head, easier flaring and no more splitting.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master

I have been watching and agree about over sizing on my Hornady 32 H&R dies.

But frankly I’m into my 6/7 loading for some cases and “KNOCK WOOD” haven’t lost one poece to problems yet. Federal is Federal and there soft cases produce loose pockets quickly. But that happens on my 223/300 as well and I KNOW the 300 isn’t heavy pressures.

I’m picking up a RCBS set shortly and moving these Hornadys to my pop to keep him in 32 Longs for porch shootin.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

In one post you said you were going to load top loads, by this I assume you open your book and use the powder charge the book says is max. Or do you start a bit low and work up?
    As others mention no two guns are the same. Ones max load may very well be too much in another.
    When working up loads do you shoot over a chrony? I find this helps. The book may say XXgrs is max, but in my experience in my gun that load may produce a different velocity.
    In this case I try to get the same velocity as the book even if my powder charge is a bit different.
    Leo

I have loaded the .327fed since before there was published data for it, and the only brass was from once-fired AE.
    Lots of trials (using a Blackhawk 8-shot), and conversing with friends that reload. We started with H&Rmag maximum
    and worked up.
    I don't shoot anything at maximum loads [except testing] because I never have had one perform well.

I no longer try to load for every cartridge known to man, these days I like it more simple, but I still LOVE
    the .327fed, .357mag, and the .357max....load/shoot them regularly, and some .223 and .44mag mixed in.
    All in rifle/carbine/handgun.

I have never had/seen the problem listed above (from 2yrs ago OP), and the advice seems logical......
    but something did remind me of case-splitting a friend had years ago. Many head scratches later.
    some hair pulling, the problem was from too much crimp.....so throw that in the mix.

The dies I use for .32H&R and .327fed are Lee .32H&R carbide
    The dies I use for .357max are Lee .38spl carbide
    Both sets have been in use by me for many years.

The AE once-fired brass I used in the beginning for .327fed......
    The 100gr loads were junk to reload, the 85gr loads were better, but both were pretty brittle.
    I have used only new Starline since they started making it, as I also do for .357max.
    Liberalism is an incurable disease

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12