Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Para 1911 barrel groove leading

Boolit Buddy

Para 1911 barrel groove leading

Hi Guys, Just wondering if any of you have experienced a streak of leading in one groove only for approx. 1/2'' past the chamber it doesn't pile up against the rifling just flat on the groove, Its 45ACP, lead bullets 185 grain, Gun has had approx. 8-900 rounds through it and always has the streak after shooting Most bullets have been LLA but have also used powder coat as well with same result, its the top groove in the barrel 12 o'clock, no leading anywhere else in the barrel ?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Have you cleaned the barrel to remove all lead and copper fouling? What is the groove diameter by micrometer measured slug? What is the measured diameter of the bullets, the alloy and the load?

Lack of cleaning would be the first thing to verify, then throat damage? Examine the chamber and beginning of the rifling carefully looking for a sharp edge that might have cut through the coating. Does it do it with soft wax bullet lube? Dusty

I have a new Kimber that's doing that in one groove only...when clean you can see that this groove is not as smooth as the others.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guy`s, yes the barrel is cleaned to a shine after each use and have never put a copper jacket round through the gun, I have not as yet slugged the barrel but will do shortly, I've looked as close as I can at the throat and chamber for any defects but all looks well there, well that's with magnifying glass and a pair of old eye`s anyway, I do have some 200 grain pills here with soft lube so will load some up and try those as well, The load is:

4.9 grains Titegroup
    180gr Magma Mould RNFP BB ,Bullets drop at .455 and sized to .452
    Range pick up lead 13.4 brinnel with 2% tin added
    Bullet seated to 1.175
    Enough crimp to remove the flare
    Load gives 880-900fps

Thanks again for your help and replies

You have a machine micro-hicky there (AKA a little rough spot). A couple hundred rounds of jacketed ball ammo should take it out.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I love firelapping. Just saying

Boolit Master

I have 2 Par Ord 1911s in 45 acp no leading with cast .

Boolit Master
    Bob, how does your load data compare with the OP? Cast is one thing, but PC, soft wax lube, TL?? What are we really comparing?

Boolit Master

I use hard bullet lube , magnma and carnuba red ,with 5 different style's of 45 acp cast bullets from 170 to 230 gr all sized @ 0.452 dia from 750 to 1,000 fps, doesent lead with the Para's or any other brand of 45 acp pistol that I have owned.

Boolit Buddy
    Well an update to the barrel leading, I took gun to a Wild Bunch shoot and shot 340 rounds over 3 days and have to say there was almost zero leading, I changed 2 things prior using the gun, 1st one was I used single head stamp brass that was only reloaded a few times 4 at the max and 2nd I very very lightly oiled the barrel prior shooting just enough to put a light coating in there

Previously I used mixed head stamp brass that has been well thrashed but still functioned well, so to isolate that I used the gun this Sunday just gone with the old brass and yes I did get the tiniest bit of leading come out on the jag but no streak at 12 oclock, so possibly the barrel has settled in now ready to begin its life in earnest ! many thanks to those that offered help and advice Its much appreciated