RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: lead analysis

Banned

lead analysis

Hello,

I just bought a bunch of lead from someone who is getting out of casting.

He is not sure of the composition but he bought it from a fellow who claimed that it was 80 lead/20% tin.

Does anyone here offer analyzing services? I am happy to pay of course. The lead is all in ingots and my idea was to take 2 or 3 at random and send them off. I would include a money order or cash for services and they could keep the ingots so they wouldn't have to mess with return shipping.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master

A member here, BNE, will analyze it for you. His usual deal is that he wants a pound of lead per sample. He has a few stickies about the composition of stick on and clip on weights. He is a good guy to deal with and usually has a fast turn around time. He does it at work and it does depend on his work load.

Boolit Buddy
    Contact BNE, he can check it for you. He did a sample for me a while back that happily matched what i expected.

Banned
    Thank you guys!

Boolit Master
    BNE is a hugh asset to this forum's casters. A pound of lead, depending on how you got it, plus SFRB shipping is a reasonable cost to know exactly what you have, especially if you send multiple samples ( I've sent up to ten, IIRC, which means the cost per test was under two bucks).

It may not be necessary to have an exact composition all the time, but I find it worth while knowing when I want to duplicate an alloy I've made previously; can't be done without knowing the content of the original and the compositions of the component metals I'm going to alloy together.

Banned
    Sometimes just knowing the hardness is enough unless your pushing for extremes

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rdness-testing

Boolit Master
    Fair enough, Grmps. I've only been casting a year or two and maybe, like any beginner mixer and heater of various substances, I stick close to the book in terms of ingredients and instructions to make sure the cake or the bullet comes out like I want. I haven't got the experience yet to know what is truly essential, what applies when, and what can be changed or even ignored.