Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choices

Boolit Mold

Choices

New member here. Been lurking in the shadows. I love single shot rifles. I have a TCR 87 and a Remington bolt action single shot. I am gonna take the plunge and get me a Taylor. Either a High Wall or a Low wall. I need some opinions from the people on this forum about what they would prefer. I don't do long range. Just some pigs any coyotes on my ranch here in Texas. I will be ordering it in 45 colt as I reload for several pistols in that cal. Any comments would be appreciated.

If your set on the caliber and a Taylor, I'd probably look at one of their 1885 Low Wall offerings.

Boolit Master
    Definitely the low wall with pistol grip stock and tang sight.

Boolit Mold
    Not really set on a Taylor. A friend of mine shoots a Taylor pistol and loves it. Only reason I mentioned Taylor. Is there a better rifle in the same price range? Around $1,500.00

Boolit Master
    They are all made by uberti. Taylor is just one of the many importers.

Banned

if you can load for the 44mag/44spl there are a few of american built s/s rifles that will be far cheaper (msrp prices of $450-$900) than any offshore brand and all made in the USA.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

http://tippmannarmory.com/rolling-block-44-magnum/

Boolit Mold
    Man that's a pretty good looking rifle in 44 mag. I do load for 44. I have a super blackhawk, and a hawes in 44. Have you or someone else had any dealings with Tippman rifles? Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master

Sort of a different rolling block action. Wish they would have made it with an octagon top. At $400 for an action, not a bad price. Cost that much or more to come up with a good Remington action.

Vendor Sponsor

I did not know about Tippman rolling blocks! A coil spring action at that. Interesting.

Mild steel cast action, and no mention of case hardening. 1-1/8 -24 threads - likely not square!
    I did not look fully at the info. Are they a USA built rifle?

This is a good choice to know about. Thanks for posting it.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Is it just me or does that hammer look weird?
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Banned

tippmann armory is USA, indiana. the actions are also offered case hardened. to find out more give 'em a call. 260-441-9603

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Is it just me or does that hammer look weird?
    I agree, in the picture the hammer looks like 1/2 the head gear from a Texas longhorn.
    Maybe it is the picture angle.
    Chill Wills

Banned

no, that is what the hammer's ear looks like - i had some extensive conversations with tippmann last year. perhaps better to remove/reshape excess than having none to mess with in the first place.

Boolit Master
    Browning made a low wall in 45colt. I have one and really like it. Used they are less than 1500$.
    As a note, mine will chamber, freely, a colt case with a .460 dia G ould bullet! It shoots them very well. I never got it to shoot pistol loads well at all, think there was just too much misalignment. I tried seating a .454 swc out to touch the rifling, no go, got a big deep throat.
    There are lots of different colt chambers out there, some will not shoot rifle type groups with pistol ammo. I dont now have a 45colt pistol so its a non issue to me. Just a note on my experience with my Browning low wall.ymmv
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

The hammer looks more dangerous than whatever you'd send out the muzzle! Guy could trip and skewer himself on that thing!

Boolit Master

High Wall vs. Low Wall is merely a cosmetic difference, so that part of it is going to come down to which offerings have the features you want.

Pistol-caliber single shots are FUN. . .really, REALLY FUN. For what you're doing, I would definitely NOT order a model with double set triggers, and I would think long and hard about ordering anything other than the barrel mounted open sights. The tang peep and globe front upgrades are kind of a knee-jerk reaction with me, but it's worth looking at these kind of chamberings as filling the same role a .22LR - only bigger. If you're going to be snap-shooting at mostly under 100 yards, there's a lot to recommend keeping it simple for field shooting without all the paper target foofarall.

And to get back to the pistol caliber falling blocks being really, REALLY FUN bit, you're probably going to want to consider your ability to mass-produce ammo in whatever chambering you go for. They don't kick. They don't make a lot of noise. Operating the action and loading is really simple and instinctive. They tend to be very accurate. Reactive targets get considerably more "THUD" than from a .22. The result is that 100 round boxes of ammo seem to just kind of evaporate. Plan for this addiction accordingly.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    tippmann armory is USA, indiana. the actions are also offered case hardened. to find out more give 'em a call. 260-441-9603

http://tippmannarmory.com/
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh man, one of these in .44!
    Would the barrel twist handle 300 grain boolits?

The long hammer spur makes for easier cocking than the original design.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I understand the allure of a rolling block action or Sharps, but why would you spend 900 to 1000 for a 45 colt or 44 magnum when you can buy a CVA hunter, slalker, optima, or there new offering which eludes at this moment with easily changed barrels in optima or the new offering for 400 to 500. There Bergara barrels are proven accurate and seem to be cast friendly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast