Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange time at range

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va

strange time at range

was at range other day and asked a couple of other shooters what they were shooting as didn't want to pick up there brass. was told i was welcome to it with a little chuckle. as i examined brass say all was split from extractor grove to mouth primers were flattened and appeared to have flowed into fireing pin hole. asked weren't they worried shooting 9 mm that hot and was told they were there own defensive rounds. seemed to have a little attitude about my question so let it go just moved further down line. this is not the first time i have seen this and founf a lot of split 9 mm so i wount pick it up any more. it is just to cheap to take a chance. if a standard 9 is not enough why not just buy a bigger gun there are plenty to chose from. 9mm are the only ones i have run up on like this. i must be missing something just can't understand loading ammo that hot.

Boolit Master
    Maybe they've got a death wish. Same people who use max revs all the time in a car.

Some people are just best left alone.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen these cases also on the range also. I have also seen cases fired with actual pressure test loads. These loads while at testing pressures the cases are bulged and deformed they haven't normally split. These loads splitting cases are way over pressure and a risk to scoring the chamber and or pit the bolt face and releasing high pressure gasses and fine particles back into the firearm. Even the illinos 9mm +p+ loadings while hard on guns didn't split cases. I have seen 9mm and 40 s&w loaded like this. One shooter was telling me he loaded 40 S&W to mid upper 10mm velocities routinely. The other Ive seen is 223 / 5.56 loaded way over pressure.

Boolit Master
    Nothing new, these are the same type folks that will throw a nitrous system or a turbo on a stock motor then blame the equipment when it fails or take a motorcycle up and down a mountain road at max speed.

Hopefully the "learning moment" will come and no one is injured or killed. Darwin's Theory unfortunately has a way of fixing the issue.

Hot loads is one of the reason why most of our publicly accessible ranges either make the shooter use only factory loaded or the ranges reloads (often cheaply loaded and dirty but well within spec)

when I am at the range I try to stay away from those kinds of people they in my opinion are dangerous to be around D Crockett

Boolit Master
    When I collect brass, it's at the indoor range. Most of the stuff is new, purchased at the shop, and then only fired and left on the floor.
    When I get home I'll inspect, resize and deprime, then put in the tumbler for a few hours and put with the rest of my empty brass. When I get some out to reload, I'll inspect it some more. Every time it gets handled it gets another inspection...

Know-it-all people i stay away from.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i pretty much do the same but at my range a large amount isreloads as the range is outside. i get 9 mm so cheap it just isnt worth it to me. i do collect my own brass but leave the rest alone

Boolit Master

Makes a guy wonder a little sometimes about buying a used gun.

Boolit Master

I still pick it up and put it in the scrap brass bucket, pays for my annual dues
    Last edited by skeettx; 05-07-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Makes a guy wonder a little sometimes about buying a used gun.
    You got that right.....
    I'd not buy any handgun that is still in production as a used gun. Yeah, you might save $50, but if it's been treated badly, that little sum is no gain.

Boolit Master
    Scary stuff!

I emptied the range bucket the other week with what looked like about 75 cases of new, once fired 308. When I started to de-prime about the 4th round I picked up looked an felt wrong. Turns out I had about 20 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor in there Gave it to a friend who shoots it.

The rest was a mix of predominantly Federal 308 and about 12 seemingly brand new shiny Hornady 308. The Federal brass deprimed and resized no problem. The Hornady brass would not resize. Case head expansion was excessive and I thought I might rip my press off the bench trying! Threw those all out.

Boolit Master

Picking up anything but your own brass at my indoor range could get you banned for life.If the person who shot it doesn't pick it up, it belongs to the range.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I shoot at two public ranges, both have strict rules and ROs. That's pretty much the way it has to be these days when I'm shooting alongside 'anyone and everyone.'
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

He he he
    I LOVE TEXAS
    When we get finished shooting at the indoor club,
    we call a cease fire if all are finished, and sweep the range.
    We clean up and take any brass in the brass bucket.
    We try to leave the range cleaner than we found it.
    All club member have a key and can shoot between 6AM and 10PM
    We average around 600 members.
    http://www.texaspanhandlepistolclub.com/
    Last edited by skeettx; 05-07-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

A friend was telling me one time about a range he used to shoot at. You could only shoot ammo purchased at the range, and absolutely no picking up brass. I'm sure glad I can shoot at an outdoor range without goofy, ridiculous rules like that.

I'd get rid of my guns and take up golf before I'd shoot at a range that's cheapskate enough to prohibit you from picking up empty brass under your feet. I know; their business, their rules, bet personally I just think it's cheesy (only because I can't use a fitting term that begins with the word chicken-).

Boolit Grand Master

A friend and shooting buddy is what I call a speed freak. I have suggested to him that maybe he should back off on his loads a little. He finally had an accident. He blew the firing pin and cocking piece out of the back of a bolt and got a nasty cut on his nose. He was wearing glasses and was not seriously injured otherwise. I used to find his brass at the range and it was pretty scary looking. I think he is much more cautious now days!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I'd get rid of my guns and take up golf before I'd shoot at a range that's cheapskate enough to prohibit you from picking up empty brass under your feet. I know; their business, their rules, bet personally I just think it's cheesy (only because I can't use a fitting term that begins with the word chicken-).
    There's an indoor range like that 'bout 3/4 mile up the road from where I'm sittin'...no reloads (except theirs), any brass on the floor is theirs, no 'draw from holster' practice allowed, and no 'rapid fire' practice. When they first opened, I walked in the door, read the posted rules, asked the guy behind the counter "Are those serious?", and walked out. Our club outdoor range is about 1/2 hour away: open 9A-dusk, 365 days a year; other than full auto, shoot what you brung; and be prepared for criticism if you DON'T clean up your brass (either to take home or dump in the brass bucket).

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I asked about collecting brass at the indoor range. The Guy behind the counter said " You bought it, it's yours!"
    Other people's brass I ask if they are going to take it home. So far only one person wanted his....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Moderator Emeritus

To the original quetion, I'd have to answer that it just seems to be a mindset of those who like to "cheat" or have something "better" than everyone else with the same thing. It's just a cheater's mentality, and I have no clue how to deal with it. Wish I did, but I don't. It's also at least a bit narcisisstic, as well, putting one's own self at least in their own minds, a "cut above" the "madding crowd." But some of these folks with this type of mentality always wind up paying the extreme price for their haughty mindset. It's just the price of foolishness, and it's always been that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast