Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: strange time at range

Last time I was at my pistol range the RSO comes by shoving brass. He waits till I see him, asks if I save my brass. I said yes, just shove mine up against the wall I'll pick it up.

By the time I was done he had left me at least an extra 50 rounds of both 9mm, and .45acp.

He got a very nice thank you from me on the way out the door.

I support my range, I have bought a lot of rifle brass in various calibers. 25 lb boxes of 9mm, .40sw, and .45acp. I don't always pick up my brass. I figure it comes out close to even in the long run.

I have to admit I like having a whole 25 lb box of 9mm if I want to crank out 2-300 rounds.
    Range is basicly selling it for the scrap brass price. Little more for rifle brass, but still reasonable.

If they ever need anything, I'll be there. I don't forget who my friends are.

Boolit Buddy
    As a reloader I stay away from ranges that dont allow reloads. I have one outside range about 45mins away thats designed for shooters like me. I can even understand not allowing reloads due to liability issues or whatever.

What I dont understand are these ranges that dont allow you to pick up your own brass????? Are you serious ????? I just paid for that ammo it is MY PROPERTY !!!! What the hell ??? Am I missing something here??? They make double profit that way since they sell it at least for scrap. I would never support any range like that. Thats crazy and I cant believe those places are in business.

Boolit Master

I'm extremely thankful that I do not have to pay to shoot with the public. Going to Walmart is bad enough. Besides, the nearest range is 50 miles away.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Vendor Sponsor

my range owner and range officer can be a real pain in the backside. With the range just out my back door its convenient though..
    When they become a pain I just buy myself a beer and tell me, myself and I to shut up and sit down.. Then we get along ok for a while
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    my range owner and range officer can be a real pain in the backside. With the range just out my back door its convenient though..
    When they become a pain I just buy myself a beer and tell me, myself and I to shut up and sit down.. Then we get along ok for a while
    You need to let him know who's boss!
    Some guys just have to keep going faster n faster and want that bigger bang then everyone else. The range I belong to has some pretty simple rules, fire as fast as you want as long as each round impacts the berm, no shooting across lanes, and the don't want any holster drawing. Oh well, no body's perfect.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Potential Darwin Award winners. They are also very likely doing this in other aspect of their lives and will be candidates for the award. "The envelope please...".

Boolit Master
    I was at a rifle range once when an older gentleman (older than me - at the time, probably about 50) showed up with an AK-47 in .223. He started shooting, way faster than I would have been, and was obviously not interested in his brass. I asked if he was going to save it, and he replied that I was welcome to it. I picked up a handful, and immediately noticed that many cases had no primer in them! The ones that did, the primers showed obvious signs of extreme high pressure, and some were pierced! I warned him of this, and asked where he got his ammo. He replied that he was aware of it, and 'the guy' he got his ammo from said they were supposed to be that way. I tried to explain the dangers associated with this, but he didn't seem interested. Oh well, I tried. I didn't take any extra .223 brass home that day, needless to say.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I was made aware of the Russell County Sheriff's Office training range by a member on this forum. It's open to the public once a month for a few hours. I've been there twice so far. The first time I too my wife and two 9mm pistols, and by time I finished shooting I hurt too badly to bend down and pick up my brass. It gets collected and gets traded for SO training rounds, so I didn't feel like I was being a lazy bum by not policing my brass, plus the RO said that it was ok. The second time I took a revolver and a single shot rifle, so it was easier to round up my brass. If I can get hold of my son I'll get my 30/30 for the next time it's open.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Sounds like he wanted to turn his 9mm into a 357 Sig. That's the kind of guy that makes me happy I live in the country and can shoot alone. I'd rather not get shrapnel from some idiot's reloading experiment gone wrong.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot on a private range with a guy who would take all of his 44 special brass and "supe them up" after the fourth reload then leave them where they lay. I would find them and smash them before putting them in a scrap brass bucket. I always just shook me head, but he was one of those guys you just couldn't tell nothing. Me and a buddy were the "unofficial" range cleaners for that place when it was still in business. We hit it before every CCW and Safety class, and again right after. The owner was glad to have us. We would sit around my place on rainy, or lazy days off and cull the brass with anything even remotely suspect going to the scrap yard. We must have bartered a metric ton of good brass to an old mom and pop cartridge company a couple hours away down in Conroe, Texas; and gave them twice as much (they wouldn't buy 9mm or 40S&W because they had it coming out of their ears, but we would just give it to them anyway.) For quite a few years there we had a real good thing going. Particularly since we would get more for "trade value" for the brass than we did just cashing out. We both shot the dickens out of 45 long colt, 45 acp, 357 mag, and 38 special back in those days so we were glad to do it. The range owner passed away on us, and his kids were more interested in selling off the timber, bulldozing the range, and selling the land than in keeping that operation going. It was crazy, I know what the guy was making in "private" range fees, they basically sold the golden goose for a pouch of pennies. Just when he was starting to work with a welder to put in some long range pans too. Dang. Not too many years later the Pop of the mom and pop cartridge company passed away on us too. We weren't fooled, we were all getting a great deal out of the arrangements. I miss those old farts.

A few years later I found another range and we were going to start hitting them up every weekend to shoot like we use to do at the private range, but they turned out to be another one of those "only buy your ammo here, don't pick up even your own brass" outfits. They didn't last until the water got hot, and I never dropped a hammer on a primer at their place once we found out their "rules".

It's hard to find a good range that is even remotely affordable or doesn't have some hair-brained set of rules around here these days. Oh and I mean hair-brained. Only our ammo, don't pick up your brass, no "patriotic" displays allowed (yeah that one didn't last either), or other malarkey that had nothing to do with safety.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

First thing I ask when visiting a new range is about brass and bringing in my own ammo. If I can keep my own (safely.) I shoot. If not, I walk out after explaining the reason why I will not shoot there.
    As for those that flirt with the load books and the laws of physics. I avoid them. Have seen a few. One person said he bought a new pistol every couple years or so after his "wore out." Was kinda amazed when I told him mine was 20+ years old. Though, he still loaded his own hot. BTW They also shot poorly. But, they were "My special rounds," in his words.

Silver Eagle
    Silver Eagle

TANSTAAFL
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    - Robert A. Heinlein from "The moon is a harsh mistress"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Eagle View Post
    First thing I ask when visiting a new range is about brass and bringing in my own ammo. If I can keep my own (safely.) I shoot. If not, I walk out after explaining the reason why I will not shoot there.
    As for those that flirt with the load books and the laws of physics. I avoid them. Have seen a few. One person said he bought a new pistol every couple years or so after his "wore out." Was kinda amazed when I told him mine was 20+ years old. Though, he still loaded his own hot. BTW They also shot poorly. But, they were "My special rounds," in his words.

Silver Eagle
    My oldest gun is 130 years old, with several others being just a bit over 100. They still shoot as good as the day they were made. I wonder what he'd think of that, lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12