Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on my retirement

Semi retired to me means working only 40 hours a week!
    After 35 years of self employment, that is what i will call retirement.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    We plan to buy a Casita trailer and see some country but come back to home base.
    My Casita trailer is fourteen years old now. What a great little travel trailer.

I retired from the Navy at 37 with a boat load of credit card debt. It sure felt like unemployment without any benefits.
    That was long ago and I found no one wanted to hire a high school dropout. So I went to college while looking for a good job.

I did find one and it was just after I got my AAS degree and started on a BA degree. I couldn't keep up with both, so I dropped out. I'm just a higher level dropout now.

I retire at the end of this month at age 62 with 20 years of service and a second small pension. I wanted a better plan the second time around. Now I'm married and debt free. I won't stay debt free because we are moving, but at least we are starting from a better place. I will not start social security any time soon. Being retired military and a disabled veteran gives me two choices of medical care.

I don't expect to look for another job, but my resume needs only one line added to apply for my third career. A backup plan is always good.

Boolit Master

"He who travels alone may start today. But he who travels with another, must wait 'til the other is ready" or words to that effect.

Me too, been around the world 3 times. Carried a rifle in to 2 countries. No regrets. Only thing....maybe....my family are coal miners...not me, never did it. I like me retirement.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Banned

Great thread
    2.5 years to go
    Life goes by so fast
    Being self-employed for 30 plus years has been interesting
    I want to shift gears
    A small travel trailer and the home-base sounds real good

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    A small travel trailer and the home-base sounds real good
    My personal opinion is the Casita is the best out there for small trailers.
    It looks like two fiberglass boat hulls glued together so no siding coming loose and no need to re-caulk the roof every year or two to prevent leaks.
    They are factory direct so no dealers, no used Casitas at dealers, and every one is built to order. They hold value well. Made in Rice, TX.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    It looks like two fiberglass boat hulls glued together so no siding coming loose and no need to re-caulk the roof every year or two to prevent leaks.
    They are factory direct so no dealers, no used Casitas at dealers, and every one is built to order. They hold value well. Made in Rice, TX.
    It is rare to find a used one for sale. It has been my desire to own one for many, many years. I missed out when U-Haul got rid of their small travel trailers. However, I don't have any desire to haul one around and the wife sees it as 'extra housekeeping'. And motels have been working for us for the places we visit since tent camping is no longer and attractive option (gotta like those in close bathrooms).

All of my retirement projects are still waiting to be started, I think I work more now than when I was getting paid for it. But I do enjoy having my own schedule to go by. It is nice to no longer be part of the herd rushing down (now crawling) the road to the place of employment. Retirement is not for the faint of heart!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    I retired about two years ago, love it. I have picked up on my shooting and casting since I retired. I also like to do a little woodworking, I've been turning out walking canes and tinkering with a few game calls for the last while. I have made a few dulcimers over the years and plan on a few more. My next project will probably be another long rifle, I've haven't done one in several years. I have a small jammed up workshop that suits me just fine. There is always something to tinker with, I think that's what keeps us going. You set down you are done.

Boolit Master
    i worked hard for 43 years at mediocre pay ...now that i'm retired, i work harder but without the pay.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Completely agree

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Retirement has always scared me worse than death. After over 50 years working I can't see myself every quitting. I like to think the best day of my life hasn't happened yet.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Retired last June at age 63.
    Best decision ever...
    Don't miss the job one bit.
    Much happier be a stay at home husband and raising two Labrador Retrievers.
    Did a lot of home improvement projects, spent a good bit of time hunting and shooting and just enjoying myself since retirement.
    I highly recommend it.

Boolit Master

Retirement...dang. I've got a couple decades to go myself. I'd like to start planning for it but we started a family a bit late so I've got kids to raise in the meantime. My retirement planning at this point is to work until I die.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been retired for 16 yrs. For 45 yrs. I worked shift...mostly swings and mids. I'm still trying to get more than 5 hrs. sleep per night. Best job I ever had....paid for flying. I don't miss it at all.

Boolit Master
    Retired in 1992 after 20 years in the Army, then a series of jobs, mostly as a locator for utility service companies. Retired again at 62 in the fall of 2012. I had considered working longer but a few months before my BIL died from a stroke, he was six months older than me. Remember the feeling, getting up and happily saying "I don't have a thing to do". Come spring remember getting up and saying "Oh s###, I don't have anything to do". Went back part time. In January 2014 convinced the wife to retire, in February she was diagnosed with cancer and lost her that August. I had stopped working after her diagnosis to care for her and afterward had no desire to back to work. In July decided I was tired of long cold winters, gave the house to my younger son and his family and moved to SE Kentucky. Bought a nice house on 4 acres with a one acre pond adjoining the Daniel Boone National Forest. My older son and his family are a couple hours away and visit once a month and my granddaughter spends the nice days fishing. Joined the local shooting club and have access to a decent range and plan on being here as long as my health allows. My only regret is my wife is not here to enjoy it too.

Moderator Emeritus

Time does go fast. Bought my place two years ago last week. I have so many projects still to do and things I want done. Plus started dating after four years and I think I may have found a keeper. I love my life now and hope when the floor drops out it isn't to bad

Boolit Grand Master

I was gifted, after 39 years, with forced retirement. At 64.5 I had no plans and spent a fortune chasing non existent employment.
    That was 2007 and now I'm nowhere near catching up with projects. I guess there is always a financial factor but I find that within a reasonable budget most things are in reach.
    My limiting factor is time. There are so many things that take more time than expected, and because I can, I spend more time making sure everything is done exactly.
    Now health demands that I pick projects that can be done in segments, between Dr visits for myself and rest of the family. Being the only one not regularly employed or in school, I'm the designated 3 family driver, shoppier, and handyman.
    Current health problems have me sidelined, and suddenly they realize the burden I was taking from everyone.
    I think I may be perminately retired without the typical gold watch, since time has almost no relevance.
    Many here berate TV as worthless poo. For the most part, they are correct, but if one searches, much good programing is still available. I've never been a sports nut and game shows are the pits. Sooooooooaps need to be washed off TV, and talk shows are becoming political hacks. I get my drama fix from Discovery and History channels. If you look hard there are the reruns of the real comedy shows from the past.
    Retirement will be whatever you make of it. Where getting from A to B fast was all important before, now whats between, is the adventure you missed. Make more out of less by slowing down to appreciate the roses. Even the thorns have a lesson in experience that haste makes just an unpleasant PIA.
    When you make pleasant memories along the way, the trip lasts forever.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I retired about 5 years ago, and have found that I am still just as busy now. I figured that I could run for the board of directors in our small village, which I am now president, started doing computer stuff and singing at church, and now am worship leader. I can’t tell you how many “Hats” I have accumulated sense retirement. I keep thinking I am gunna get a chance to pour my cup out and pass down, but the more I pour out the faster it refills... and I kinda Like it!!!!

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I guess you need to retire if you don't enjoy what your doing. I'm having a good time and have something to keep me interested usually a little different each day. Can't figure why I'd want to stop doing it.

My sister retired from the government. Retired as soon as she was eligible. She's still complaining. Now she has all day to focus on it in her retirement.

Boolit Master
    Hi mold maker.Might try the AHC channel.They have some pretty good shows on there about the Civil War and the Revolutionary War.They are both 6 part programs that are from the History Channel.Charles Kuralt narrates the Revolutionary War series.And I agree.Most of the stuff on TV pretty much sucks.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I guess you need to retire if you don't enjoy what your doing. I'm having a good time and have something to keep me interested usually a little different each day. Can't figure why I'd want to stop doing it.

My sister retired from the government. Retired as soon as she was eligible. She's still complaining. Now she has all day to focus on it in her retirement.
    You are truly blessed if you enjoy your work enough that you would keep at it without the necessity of a paycheck.

I have to be honest; I like my job, for the most part, and generally enjoy what I do, but if a large amount of money fell out of the sky, I would quit in a heartbeat. Not because I hate my job, but because there are a lot of other things I would rather be doing, such as spending a lot more time with my kids. It's scary how fast they grow up. My two oldest are now teenagers. How did that happen? It seems like not long ago at all that we were bringing our first little baby home from the hospital, and now she's nearly old enough to drive. I just have this feeling that I'm going to blink my eyes twice and they're all going to out on their own, with their own lives, careers, and families.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast