Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Brass Smith C-Frame Press

Boolit Man

Lyman Brass Smith C-Frame Press

Hi Guys,

Anybody use this new Lyman press ? How is the ram support ? Is it secure and tight ?

Am wary that the ram is too loose like the Lee reloader press.

Pros and Cons ?

Thanks for any reply !!

Boolit Master
    Just got one for a birthday present. Mounted it to the bench on Saturday, but have yet to use it except for holding my new powder measure to set it for 10 grains of red dot. The ram is smooth with no noticeable play except for the primer drop cut out. I expect this to smooth out with a little use. I can tell you it is sturdy and hefty and thick cast iron unlike the Lee aluminum press I looked at. The links are very beefy. The thing weighs 12 lbs.

Boolit Master
    I want one. And I don't even LIKE Lyman products.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Tom, this is what Im buying that die set for! Too funny you'd be watching this thread too.

Boolit Master
    This is the first forum I look at every day, and considering I'm retired I look several times a day.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180505_105311.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	220047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180505_105259.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	220048
    Heres the press next to a 550 for a size comparison. It has a pretty small footprint.

Boolit Master
    Finally got to use the Lyman a little today. Got my new Lee Universal Expander and NOE expander plug and used them on 40 cases of 270 Win. Good leverage and very stable. No flexing anywhere. New 3 die set coming in next week. Will update on decapping and full length sizing then.

Sigep1764,

Been trying to decide on a dedicated bullet sizing press and was wondering how you think this new Lyman would work out for such a task? Easily mounted inverted? Can the handle be threaded from the opposite side as shown? Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    I rather like the concept of the Brass Smith 8-hole turret press. I might have to look into one when I return to the States.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    It can be done. The handle will thread from both sides. Mount inverted, that's your call. It's the standard 3 bolt triangle. Is it sturdy? Its 12lbs of cast iron and thick. It should be good.

Looks like a durable press. Congrats. Does the ram have a hole through the center for primer disposal?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Sure does, comes with a primer cup too. No way to prime on the press tho. Bought an RCBS hand priming unit, haven't used it yet. Been using a 310 tool to prime 270 cases.

Boolit Master
    OH, but the dies are in the mail....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Well according to Tom W, I'll be loading complete cartridges by the end of the week! Wahoo!

Boolit Master
    Glad to see I can put a smile on someone's face! My wife says my natural look ( at age 65 ) is a scowl!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

We must be married to the same woman, mine tells me the same thing.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Sure does, comes with a primer cup too. No way to prime on the press tho. Bought an RCBS hand priming unit, haven't used it yet. Been using a 310 tool to prime 270 cases.
    My guess is Lyman intended customers to also buy their Ram Prime unit: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/70...priming-system

I use an RCBS version of the Ram Prime unit to set primers to a precise depth on an old (1940's) Pacific C press.

Boolit Master
    Guess I have something else to pony up for! I don't know if it would be any faster than the 310. Its also kind of nice to use the old tools. How do you like using the RCBS version?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Guess I have something else to pony up for! I don't know if it would be any faster than the 310. Its also kind of nice to use the old tools. How do you like using the RCBS version?
    I don't much care for having to handle the primers by hand to load them, but if I keep my hands clean and set my primers inverted in one of the primer turning trays so I can pick them up easily to set in the primer cup it works very well. And the system sets the primers to a very precise depth that is easy to adjust for on each case type or caliber I am loading. I initially had trouble loading 9mm Luger brass of various range pick up, but when I moved to this primer seating method it improved my fail-to-fire troubles from 15% to 0%.

I've never had a failure to fire, most of my primers have been handled by my fingers, and seated by feel. I wash my hands before I prime if ive been tinkering in my reloading or gun stuff to make sure I dont contaminate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast