Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingADvertise here
Graf & SonsRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Round Ball loading the 12ga.

Boolit Master
    gpidaho - Lots of possibilities; Epoxy (just a tiny dot) or hot glue are the first ones I'd try; You could alternately epoxy the patch to the front of the RB possibly? Or Duro cement, rubber cement, or even thumbtack the patch to the RB might do? (Tired, couldn't sleep, and not sure I have what you're doing right but think I do.) We used to basically pop a 12Ga light field load open, drain the shot, put a .690 soft RB in the cup, and then crimp the petals all the way down against the RB to retain it in the shell; "Pumpkin ball loads", fun and decent accuracy tho its been since 85ish since I did that {sigh} That might retain your ball too, tho the crimp would maybe change pressures slightly higher it never seemed a problem (I was using good solid shotguns tho.)

Boolit Master

Gp:

I have only patched into a shotcup so the patch has no chance of coming off leaving hull or in forcing cone as it is protected by the shotcup.

I have however read post by people who have patched round balls into brass bottleneck rifle cartridges and claim that works where I would figure that patch would come off in the neck or throat and I have read posts by people who claim to have had good success patching 12 ga. balls to bore size then load in hull ~ patched as one would for a muzzleloader. Now here I really have trouble accepting that the patch is not stripped off opening crimp or in the forcing cone.

In both cases though there is gas pressure behind the patched ball that may keep that patch tight. In the rifle it is direct pressure and quite a bit of it but even in the shotgun there is leakage past the gas seal and I am betting significant leakage until that gas seal makes it to the bore so maybe there is enough gas leakage/pressure to keep the patch on that ball.

I have not tried either so cannot say from experience whether it will or won't work. I have been planning to try patching a 0.690" or 0.715" RB with heavy cloth to get to bore diameter and give it a try. If it works in shotgun it is a good option. I suspect if it works in smoothbore it will work in rifled gun so possibly a very good option ~ no leading and adjustable fit by changing cloth thickness.

So, lots of words but no facts.

It is certainly worth trying and really no downside. If it works great! If not then you have a few rounds loaded with "loose" round balls so just not accurate. I've shot lots of 0.690" RB's from 12 ga. with poor accuracy so nothing new there!

Patching into a shotcup for smoothbore works quite well but I don't know if that would work for rifled gun. A benefit is that 0.662" and 0.678" RB's are about 1 oz. so lots and lots of 1 oz. slug load data can be used.

longbow

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234