Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on pressure washers

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States

Advice on pressure washers

I've come to the point that I'm looking for a pressure washer. I have a deck to clean and refinish, the concrete siding on the house needs washed, there's always a car that needs washing... I'm sure I can find more uses for it.

I'd like to hear from you folks about a good one you have, or...one you were sorry you ever bought. I have a fairly large retail base here- HD, Lowe's, Menard's, Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, Sears, Sam's and Costco come to mind immediately.

Thanks for reading and any replies.

Mike
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Grand Master
    got a Subaru power washer at Cosco and it works like a charm
    does all you ask of it and never fails second year with it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I have a craftsman gas with an after market pump on it rated 2400 psi. It does it all. Even takes chrome off your bumper if not careful, don't ask me how I know. Just get one that has the changeable nozzles.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

You might want to exercise caution on the deck if it is treated lumber. A pressure washer can remove wood.
    With that being said, the engine type ( Honda,B&S, or Tecumseh) and the pressure developed are all about the same. My experience is that proper use and maintenance is just as important. Don't start without water supplied and drain all water for winter storage are important.
    I don't know that one brand is superior to another.

Boolit Master

I bought a Troy-Bilt pressure washer with a Honda engine from Lowe's several years ago. It works very well and the engine is easy to start. Heed wv190323's advice on using it against bare wood.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

+1 on Honda engines. Took my 8-year old pressure washer out of winter storage...drained gas, changed oil, and drained pump before putting it away last fall...gassed it up, connected water supply, punched primer a couple times, and engine started on second pull.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I have one that a neighbor bought for me to pressure wash his deck and driveway a few years ago. (It was going to be cheaper than renting one for a week). I did buy a longer pressure hose, local hydraulic hose dealer had longer hoses for just under $1/foot, 50 foot hose was $48.

If you live in a climate where it freezes in the winter you should fill the pump with RV antifreeze, as the high pressure pump does not completely drain out without the motor running and it will damage the pump if you run it dry. Use a short hose on the intake, pull the spark plug wire, pour a bit of antifreeze into the hose and pull the starter rope (with the high pressure hose open) to get some of the antifreeze into the pump.

Boolit Master

I have the Simpson 3200 psi washer with Honda power from Sam's and couldn't be happier.

Boolit Master

Anything with a Honda engine,I’d suggest getting more psi than you think you need because you can use different tips and stay farther away from what your washing but putting a jet tip on a small 21-2400 psi pump don’t boost the power and sometimes you need 28-3400 just a suggestion. I use a power washer almost daily for work,done it all houses factories water towers trains machines heavy equipment decks log homes concrete. The best gizmo to have is a rotary tip! Also never ever run the pump without water flowing to it,burn up right quick and also let any air out of the line before putting the tip in place. Free advice so it’s worth the price.

Moderator Emeritus

There is also a flow plug - not sure of name - but has holes for fluids. After first broke due to some water left that froze, I was told to remove the piece each winter. No problems with a cracked one since.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Thanks to all of you for some good advice- some of those little things you don't think about can come back to bite you if you aren't aware of them. I especially appreciate the winterizing tips. I've learned to buy at least one notch higher than I think I need, cause I'll need it later.

I'll keep this stuff in mind when I start looking in a couple days.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master
    I started with an electric and threw that piece of junk in the trash. I went with the Ryobi w/ Honda motor @ home depot rated for 3k psi. MUCH better, took the algae right off the boat and cleaned the concrete to boot. Don't bother with an electric would be my recommendation, my dad has the same model just slightly smaller 2.2k psi, cleaned his fences like a champ.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Get one with a Honda engine!

Boolit Master
    I've owned several electric models and would never buy another one. I would get another one if I needed it with a good gas engine.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a PowerBoss 2800 psi with the Honda motor last Friday from Fleet Farm. Earlier in the week I had purchased a Generac from Menards.
    After the purchase I checked the reviews and the Internet and found out that they were selling discontinued models.
    VERY happy with the PowerBoss!!

Boolit Master
    always wear boots when you power wash. Flip flops are a big no-no.

Boolit Master
    I think they are all about the same, most have the same brand of pump, and you can usually get what ever brand with a B&S or Honda engine for a few bucks more.
    That said I have a Homelite with a Honda engine from Home Depot. It has started first or second pull for the past 6 years now. Last year it wouldn't make any pressure so a quick Google search pointed me to the pressure relief valve which needed cleaning.
    The only complaint I have with mine is the gas tank is too small. It will only run about 20 minutes on a tank.

Boolit Master

My observations are that you should never buy one with a vertical shaft engine, they seem to put the cheapest pumps on them.

And get a honda engine, it's just worth it.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    always wear boots when you power wash. Flip flops are a big no-no.
    Guy I worked with was washing his boat off barefoot and ended up spraying too close to his ankle. He said it puffed his whole foot up and had to go to the hospital and of course it got infected.

The one we have now is 2800psi and I wouldn't go any lower and I wouldn't go much higher or the wife or kids will take the paint off of your vehicles. It's 9-10 years old and I keep waiting for it to die so we can get a newer one that will do high pressure soap. The one we have now only works low pressure with soap. Makes a difference when cleaning. So far it's gone through two sets of O-rings in the pump but I've just been replacing them with ones from ace in the plumbing section. Figure they last as long as the factory ones so why order the factory ones for 10x the cost.

No bleach thru machine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast