Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what size round ball for 54 cal

Boolit Master

what size round ball for 54 cal

I have a friend that has a 54 cal muzzle loader and is looking for a round ball mold for it..I think he needs a .530 right ?

Yes, .530" RB, but he will most likely need to play with patch thickness for optimum performance vs optimum loading effort.

Loads start at 55gr FFg, and can run up to 120gr FFg - the lower loadings for range work, the heaviest loads for a T-Rex, and the in-between loads for most medium-to-large game.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Depends on the rifle. My T/C has shallow rifling, and likes a thin patch with a .535 ball. Bottom line, though, a .530 will work well in pretty much anything.
    Last edited by scattershot; 05-06-2018 at 11:26 PM.

My T/C Hawkins likes a 0.535 also with pillow ticking and bore butter.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I'm running a .535, with a thin patch in my 2 TC Renegades. .530 would work with a thicker patch.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my T/C I get good results with a .535 ball cast 1:40 tin-lead, with 0.011" muslin pocket drill patching, dry lubed with 1:4 Lee case lube and water, soak, knead and then let dry, then store in your possibles bag. Good start charge is 80 grains of 2Fg, up to 120 grains max.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Thanks! for all the info..You fellows really get into those muzzle loaders, it is very interesting. You guys make those rifles just sing and make it look easy.

Boolit Grand Master

535 is too tight for my T/C gun. I had to go with a .530. It would be better if he bought some RBs first to try. Better a little too small than too big.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Very true, I'll do some checking on that

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Befor buying a mold, buy a box of .530 and one of .535 and see which works best -or post a WTB here and see if someone could furnish you with 25 or so of each size to trY. I no longer have a .54 nor my mold -I used .530- or I would cast you some to try.

Boolit Master

randy
    what no has mentioned is who made the muzzleloader you friend has, yes it might matter as over the years I have seen .54 caliber muzzleloaders that took a .520 to .535 diameter round ball. As to a good fit find a round ball that is slightly smaller than the bore and then play with what patching material is best, might be pillow ticking, might be regular bed sheet material or something totally different. Many say you can't shoot 3f in a .54 caliber but it works just remember to use 10-15% less powder. Try several different brands of powder no it is not all the same, even the new non black powder is not all the same. Cleaning is the easiest as all you need is hot water, some dish soap, a right size jag, a piece of cloth and your all set. Also make sure that rifle is not loaded before you do anything, many end up being loaded and put away and forgotten about. Caps are another thing to play with no they are not all the same either. In the past I have used CCI both regular and magnum, Remington, RWS and others and found for me I liked the CCI's the best if they fit on the nipple another thing to be aware of. All of this just makes it more fun to shoot muzzleloaders as there are so many things to be aware of. Also look at your patches after you fire the rifle. See if they are torn, nice cross patching of patch or if they are burnt.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Don't forget to mark the ramrod so you know where it should be with powder and ball seated.If your buddy wants some .530 rb sent give me his address on PM.

I have a T/C Renegade and a Lyman Plains Pistol and use .530 with pillow ticking.

Boolit Buddy
    In my Browning Mountain Rifle I use a .520 ball with a .020 patch. Using a .530 ball and thinner patch always cuts the patch.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    On custom barrels, I find that .526 has been the best for me.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have a 1841 rifle that is relined. it shoots .526 and .018 patch the best.

Boolit Mold
    In my TC Hawken 54cal i use a Hornady .530 round ball and patch. I can just about get the patched ball, lubed with "bore butter" started in the muzzle (tight fit) but then loads and shoots fine.
    The loose ball itself drops right down the barrel without a patch, but is quite tight with the patch, which is a TC packaged patch.
    The patch package (30 yrs old) is marked: Special Precut Patch, .54 Caliber, NO. 7034 and says "use with a round ball in .54 caliber."

Boolit Bub
    I use 530 ball with pillow ticking and bore butter, 100 grains of ff black powder this shoots very well in my lyman plains rifle

Boolit Mold

My two Renegades like a .530 with a tight .018 patch started with a short starter. If I use .530 with the same patch and lube, I still get reasonable accuracy with easier loading and less need to swab between shots. RG
    One wonders how all this feverish and frantic regulation of the law-abiding will somehow protect society from the depredations of the lawless.

Boolit Master
    First fouling early Fall shot from my 54 T/c is typically a .535 ball nestled in a .010_ths Ox-Yoke Patch & lube. There after for ease of in the field quick reloading? .526 ball smothered in a .018 or .020_ths Ox-Yoke Patch. (depending on powder use.)_

BTW: I'm a happy customer of Randyrats. [Good person & great shooting products.]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast