Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: pound cast question

Boolit Master

pound cast question

going to make some "molds" on the lathe to pour lead for pound cast's. using 1 inch round aluminum x 1.375 long. drilling holes close to land size. measured with pin gages. most sizes will be .002-.004 undersize because nothing falls into the size drill bits that i have. so, my question is will i get a good fillout with a slug that is .004 undersize. my thoughts are that i will , but i have to ask. next will i get a good fillout if i just use a hardwood block and drill holes in it. i know that the slugs will be very wrinkled using hardwood??

Boolit Master

The easiest molds for creating slugs for slugging barrels (pistol) are a fired cartridge case. There is a built in tape to get the slug started and then it is a few thousandths oversized to get groove measurements. Of course that's not technically a pound cast, though

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    going to make some "molds" on the lathe to pour lead for pound cast's. using 1 inch round aluminum x 1.375 long. drilling holes close to land size. measured with pin gages. most sizes will be .002-.004 undersize because nothing falls into the size drill bits that i have. so, my question is will i get a good fillout with a slug that is .004 undersize. my thoughts are that i will , but i have to ask. next will i get a good fillout if i just use a hardwood block and drill holes in it. i know that the slugs will be very wrinkled using hardwood??
    Wood blocks with holes drilled will need to be split as the casting grips he sides of the mold.
    This is what worked for me and, using pure lead, the wrinkles seem to iron out when impacted.

Below are links to the help files pages contained within the Cast Bullet Design ~ Ultimate software package.

Hardwood Slug Mold for Chamber Impact Slugs

Chamber impact impression

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 05-07-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master
    thanks Tom; good information. I'll be making the wood block today.

Boolit Master
    I believe I did the same, and it worked just fine. Pretty easy to upset pure lead.

Boolit Master
    made a 10 cavity "mold" today out of cherry wood depth is 1.375+- cast several each for 6.5 and 7mm. after that i opened up the holes for 30 cal.; after that .358 and 45. looking foreward to pound casting in a few days.