WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrap yard find

Scrap yard find

I believe I have found a dependable source of lead.
    About a month and a half ago I stopped at a scrap yard not far from my girl friends house and inquired about purchasing some lead and the guy pointed to a 55 gallon drum right next to the scale. Imagine my surprise when I looked into the drum and sitting scattered on top were lead ingots, cast boolits and jacketed 30 cal and 45 cal bullets!
    I picked out 35 lbs of lead and asked him how much and he said it was .65 a pound! What a great price I said I would return when I had more time.
    I went back yesterday and found more ingots,1stick of bar solder,1 ingot of wiping solder a few rolls of old solder and plenty of soft lead.
    1 bought 100 lbs. How much I asked and unfortunately the price had gone up! Oh no I thought now they got me but it was only .75 a lb. I paid and asked if he had any pewter or tin and I'm not sure if he understood but said to go check the shed. I didn't find any tin but by the door was a drum of clip on wheel weight about three quarters full. I asked him if it was the same price for the coww and he said no the price is lower for this lead.
    I was running late so I told him I would return.
    I hope this scrap yard doesn't close up any time soon because this is a fantastic find for lead and good prices.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180324_130541-2656x1494.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	219922

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180505_185140-1494x2656.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	219923

Boolit Master
    Buy the whole 55 gal drum while you can.

Boolit Master

the big bar with the writing on it looks like babbit, you might get it checked before you melt it, it makes good boolits but a little goes a long way.

Boolit Master
    I'm always leery of non-foundry ingots. I test them with HCl acid for Zn. I've always got the money in the wallet incase I run up on that 55gal drum of Pb. You don't run up on those often. You need to stop by the scrapyard AFTER seeing your girlfriend. She may want some of your lead. I don't share my food or lead.

The big one says
    Dodge Manufacturing Company
    Mishawaka Ind.
    Would it feel harder if it were made of Babbitt?
    It was my girl who suggested I stop by this yard for lead. She's awesome when it comes to hunting for lead and pewter and she has developed a good eye for spotting pewter in thrift shops and flea markets. If I could only get her to come to the range and shoot with me.

Boolit Master

defiantly Babbitt but their formula is secret according to their sales literature. get it checked before you use it or list it on fleabay and use the money to buy a larger quantity of lead.

Mjdd23 if you want your girl to go to the range with you. every time you go and come home tell what a great time you had. do this every time you go and when you not going tell her honey lets go have some fun at the range. sooner or later she will break down and go. now here the tricky part. if she has never shot a gun start her out on a 22lr something that not going to kick the heck out of her do that a few times she will be hooked. that what I did with my wife 25 years ago now she loves to go to the range. I hope this works as good for you as it did for me. D Crockett

Maybe i will get it tested then.
    Between the local lead i have found and the approximately 200 lbs I've bought from the swapping and selling forum here I have at least 400 lbs accumulated. I could always use more tin/pewter though.

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    Mjdd23 if you want your girl to go to the range with you. every time you go and come home tell what a great time you had. do this every time you go and when you not going tell her honey lets go have some fun at the range. sooner or later she will break down and go. now here the tricky part. if she has never shot a gun start her out on a 22lr something that not going to kick the heck out of her do that a few times she will be hooked. that what I did with my wife 25 years ago now she loves to go to the range. I hope this works as good for you as it did for me. D Crockett
    I may have to give that a try. The weather here is warming up so I will get my buddy and his girlfriend to go along with us so there will be another lady in the group.
    I hope she doesn't like it too much though. I may have to take her all the time and then she'll want her own gun then I'll have to make her ammo! It would be fun though.

now you are on the right track. in my case my wife picked out 3 of my guns and clamed them. as far as ammo goes she picked ones that I already reload for so ammo is not a problem I also cast for them to and ammo cost are not that big of a deal. I hope this plan works for you and she ends up liking to shoot D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master

That sounds like a good source! I would stop by pretty often looking for solder. I would be trying to find a way to get that barrel of weights too! None of the yards around here will sell to the public. Good Luck getting the Wife to shoot with you.

I have stopped by twice and both times I've come away with a good value deal in my eyes. I need to go back and sort through the drum of wheel weights and find out how much he wants for those. My kids are getting worried because I'm hoarding lead and they think I have enough. I think I should keep buying at least a little at a time.
    My girl said she's going to come to the range so I have to make it a pleaser experience for her.

Mjdd23 this is the make it or break it time. if you ever want to get her back to the range after this time she had better have a great time. one trick I did with my wife. I get her target beside mine and ever once in a while I would hit the bulls eye on her target and let her think she did it. and she fell for it hook line and sinker. she could not weight to get back to the range after that. D Crockett

USMC 77, USRA 79

Lol at Crockett... funny you should mention that trick... I tried that but got busted once... but the wife diddnt care, she just moved her target!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    To All,

IF you want to keep all your firearms, do NOT let your daughter/wife/GF/etc. find out how much FUN that shooting is.
    (So far introducing my lady & adult daughter to shooting has cost me my Makarov pistol that I EDC for a decade plus & my treasured Model 7615P carbine.)

CHUCKLE.

yours, tex

She may surprise me by being a good shot with out having to resort to target trickery!
    And if she really does get into it SHE can buy a gun or two then I'll have more to shoot

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    To All,

IF you want to keep all your firearms, do NOT let your daughter/wife/GF/etc. find out how much FUN that shooting is.
    (So far introducing my lady & adult daughter to shooting has cost me my Makarov pistol that I EDC for a decade plus & my treasured Model 7615P carbine.)

CHUCKLE.

yours, tex
    Thats so true. My wife claimed my FNX45 and my daughter claimed my Ruger GP100 MC. Little surprised that she likes wheel guns so much but I'm with her on that one. She'll go through a 100 box of my mild 357s in no time.

Banned
    Marek313,

My lady "adopted" my 7615P carbine (I had looked for one for well over 2 years.), as "It's just my size. I'm keeping it."
    and
    My adult daughter came in the house one afternoon, saw my little MAK in its holster & opined, "This little gun is WAY too girly for you to carry. I think I'll borrow it."
    (The only time in the last year that I've seen the MAK, it was in the right rear pocket of a pair of size 6 CHIC jeans. = I finally gave up & bought myself a compact Sig-Sauer, as daughters seem to believe that, "What's mine is mine & what's Daddy's is mine too".)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-09-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast