Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: If you thought the new Ruger No. 1 in 30-30 was expensive......

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

If you thought the new Ruger No. 1 in 30-30 was expensive......

Think again! Lyman has topped it. The new Limited Edition Sharps.... only 140 to be made, at 2 grand apiece.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/...harps-carbine/

I'm not a Sharps collector at all and besides, I haven't payed off my credit card from buying my No. 1 yet.
    I think it will be interesting to watch to see how fast these do (or don't) disappear.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 05-06-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned

imo, and with my personal purchasing in mind, what a waste - a poor jack of all trades and master of none. it's not a gun for bptr or bpcr - wrong cartridge, super short barrel, crescent butt stock, wrong tang sight. HOWEVER, for a hunter it might just be their cat's meow.

Not familiar with the 78 sharps but ... seems in the photo to be a smaller reproduction like their 38-55 of a few years ago.

If im gonna spend this much , believe i would contact C Sharps or Shiloh and get the full size model AND in a vintage cal like 44-77 or maybe a 40 cal.

Shiloh 78 cant be that much higher and C Sharps 85 Hiwall not much north of that AND you get a more historic and useable rifle.

Banned

there is no '78 sharps, there is a last sharps design and that's the '77. lyman called their '77 repro a '78 to commemorate the year of the tang sight they had pedersoli use. no matter what, this new lyman offering will fall on deaf ears from all bpcr/bptr shooters, but will prolly make the hunter's happy in having a gun that kinda sorta looks old school but by any stretch of the imagination, it ain't. far too much money for far too little, it's all smoke with no beef.

Hilarious. Although it's pretty, the 24" full round barrel is worthless to me. Might be OK for a hunting rifle, but even hunting I prefer longer, slightly heavier barrels than that. If a guy is a big Lyman fan or collector, he likely knows Lyman didn't start business in 1878. The company was Ideal and started by John Barlow. Marlin bought Ideal around 1907, and Lyman bought it from Marlin before WWI. So hardly 140 years, but I guess they like to play with dates to look impressive.

Boolit Master
    William Lyman did start making robust, hunting-style tang sights in 1878. Lyman didn’t buy the Ideal line of loading tools until the mid 1920’s. But in the interval, the Lyman family expanded their line of iron sights to accommodate the new types of rifles that were coming on the market, and bought out a couple telescopic sight firms as well.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    there is no '78 sharps, there is a last sharps design and that's the '77.
    Hmmm. How about this, Sharps Model 1878 Borchardt Rifle.

Yes, that whole Lyman 1878 deal does not make sense.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    It is too bad that Lyman called it an 1878. I know why they did it, but it will confuse some people. Besides, the real 1878 Sharps is a superior rifle

Chris.