WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Powder coated bullets and suppressors

Boolit Bub

Powder coated bullets and suppressors

Well I went out a few weeks ago and shot about 150 rounds through my silencerco omega on my Springfield saint 556. At first I took the ends off and it seems a little more dirty but honestly it didn’t seem terrible. There was definitely some chunks of **** falling out of the blast baffle but for the most part it just look liked black carbon inside the supressor. Well tonight I disassembled the can as much as possible and started doing some ultrasonic cleaning in simple green and got a ton of **** out. But I definitely did notice that if I scratched the inside of the blast baffle with a tooth pick there was deifinitely a coating of gray silvery lead inside of there. I really don’t think this is something I want to do over a long term basis because I could see this **** really building up over time. If anyone has more experience with this subject go ahead and chime in.

Boolit Master

Marked with interest
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Banned

Are you saying your bullets were pc'd? I wonder if it was the fact it was an ar15. Ar15s have a pretty violent action and id about bet many of them damage the pc coat when feeding. My buddy has a bad leading problem with his 45acp can on handguns with conventioanly lubed bullets. I just casted and coated a pile for him to try to see if that cures it. It will probably be a month or so before I get them to him though. Ill let you know his results.
    Quote Originally Posted by maliveline View Post
    Well I went out a few weeks ago and shot about 150 rounds through my silencerco omega on my Springfield saint 556. At first I took the ends off and it seems a little more dirty but honestly it didn’t seem terrible. There was definitely some chunks of **** falling out of the blast baffle but for the most part it just look liked black carbon inside the supressor. Well tonight I disassembled the can as much as possible and started doing some ultrasonic cleaning in simple green and got a ton of **** out. But I definitely did notice that if I scratched the inside of the blast baffle with a tooth pick there was deifinitely a coating of gray silvery lead inside of there. I really don’t think this is something I want to do over a long term basis because I could see this **** really building up over time. If anyone has more experience with this subject go ahead and chime in.

Boolit Bub
    It turns out that powder coated bullets still cause quite a bit of leading in suppressors this seems to be some what well documented around the internet. Does anyone have a solution for this? I’m thinking about adding atomized copper to my powder coat to see if that helps. Has anyone solved this problem I’m not that smart.

Boolit Master

This is interesting. I'm trying to understand the mechanism that would cause leading in a suppressor baffle, but not in the barrel.