Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Small Ring Mauser build

Boolit Buddy

Texas by God, I concur those are really cool guns. What Buckshot accomplished is about what I envision. Or Larry Gibson's 35X57 as well. Larry Gibson's 35X57 is a little more elaborate to produce but I should not have any feeding problems. I keep on hearing, 35 Rem feeding an a 93 action is iffy. Randy

That 35x57 is very interesting. As far as the .35 Rem feeding problems, I'm thinking minor if any. I rebarreled mine to 30-30 Win. Minor bolt face work and a stop on the mag follower is all it took for it to work. The 1916 Spanish 93 is the least expensive action available to play with nowadays. Map55b has some wonderful sporters he did as well. The most important tool is a full support action wrench so you can't twist the action when Senor Barrel doesn't want to divorce Senorita Action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    May I ask wile you gentlemen are taking about action wrenches what do you think of the wheeler engineering action wrench that midway USA offers for the small ring mauser action at 60. It seems reasonable if it works .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    May I ask wile you gentlemen are taking about action wrenches what do you think of the wheeler engineering action wrench that midway USA offers for the small ring mauser action at 60. It seems reasonable if it works .
    I have their action wrench and their barrel vise (the one that uses the wooden inserts). The action wrench is a pretty substantial piece of hardware and works well. The barrel vise is another matter with the wooden inserts being the problem. If I had it to do over again, I would not buy their barrel vise.

My experience has been that while you want an action wrench that fits the action without damaging it, the barrel is the part that slips and causes the most problems when trying to remove a barrel. Many of those old Mauser barrels are ON their pretty good!!

Boolit Master
    I built a barrel vise from 2" thick steel blocks that clamp together with 5/8 fine thread bolts. I bored it oversize and make an aluminum sleeve that fits the barrel. I then split in two and sandwich the barrel in with 2 wraps of paper. I tighten tight using about an 18" wrench. I haven't had one slip yet, and have not scratched the bluing, either. I then clamp the block to my mill table.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, if a feller had 2 straps of steel (how thick of steel/is 2'' necessary) , and a pair of oak blocks with hole bored; for a action wrench. Could a big ole pipe wrench spin off a barrel? I realize I may need to cut/grind flats in the offending barrel. And I hear you are wise to oil-soak junction a couple days before attempting. Thanks, Randy.

My 1891 Mauser wrench is 3/4" thick, 1" would of been better but 3/4" was all I had at the time and it works fine. Ideally with any gun you want the clamping force of the wrench to be directly over the threads or you run the risk of twisting the action. Make the wrench thick enough to allow a piece of copper roof sheeting or aluminum can material between the wrench and receiver to protect the bluing. My barrel vises are 1.5" thick with turned and split aluminum bushing for different diameter barrels. Many barrels have been removed with a pipe wrench and that is fine as long as you realize it is going to chew up the barrel stub. If you're going to pitch the barrel out then the pipe wrench rash is of little concern. That will get your barrel off, to screw the new one on you'll want something that will not damage the finish. It can be something as simple as a couple of 4" wide steel plates about 6" long drilled and tapped for 1/2" or larger fine threaded bolts and a couple pieces of oak grooved/drilled to closely match the barrel profile. I used one like that for years and wrapped the barrels in two layers of duct tape to protect the finish. Duct tape will slip though if the torque is applied too slowly.

Boolit Master
    You can use the Remington 700 barrels and rethread them to small ring, and the model 70, has been used, but some of the threads will have a groove from the Winchester threads. You can use the original chamber by using a washer the right thickness ahead of the receiver ring. I been doing this for years with the Turkish large ring, small thread Mausers.

Boolit Master
    Midway has small ring 7x57 barrel on sale right now.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, if I watch my pressure; what about .358 Winchester? Real easy to make from 308. Will I have feeding issues though? Randy.
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 05-18-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: addition

That would be just as safe as a 308 Winchester.

Boolit Grand Master

The 358W can give feeding problems in the SR Mauser actions (M93 - M95) as they do not have the correct case taper, same as the .308W. I had a heck of a time getting my Oviedo M93 to reliably feed .308Ws if 3 or more rounds were in the magazine. Also there is the potential pressure problems with someone else who may acquire the rifle and load to full 358W pressures. That's the beauty of the 35x57 or 35x60.....there is no factory round. The 35 Whelen dies are very easy to alter.

For the 35x57 remove (easily done with a lathe) .255" from the bottom of FL, NS and seating 35 Whelen dies. Lightly chamfer and polish the inside edge and its done. If cases are formed from 30-06 or 35 Whelen cases the use of an 8x57 form die to initially form the case and cut of excess is recommended. Easiest for the 35x57 is simply to use 8x57 cases. I just lube the inside of the neck for easier expansion over the expander ball (I'm using standard RCBS 35 Whelen dies) and FL size. Three formed cases are then used to headspace the chamber (using a 35 Whelen finish reamer). When done your 35x57 is a custom fit to your formed cases and no fire forming is needed.

Attachment 220713

Here is the 35 Whelen, the 35x60 and the 35x57 cases (left to right).

Attachment 220714
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-20-2018 at 12:49 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Since the 93 barrel seats on the front of the action ring,its a natural for a relief cut in the old barrel........even if you might get $20 for a usable 7mm barrel,its not worth risking the reciever for that.....

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Since the 93 barrel seats on the front of the action ring,its a natural for a relief cut in the old barrel........even if you might get $20 for a usable 7mm barrel,its not worth risking the reciever for that.....
    I second that. Bad barrels become pry bars or cool baby sledgehammer handles. That relief cut is key to getting that rotten old barrel off.

Boolit Master
    I did a M95 in 35Rem, and had to twiddle with the feeding. Then thought about the other .35 wildcats,,,,,

I still think this is gonna be hard to beat.....
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/64...y-in-the-white

Kens, I've actually never used a Green Mtn. barrel but, have heard good things about them.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

That would be perfect.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, still weighing options. but, you got the wheels turning. I'm really stuck on a 35 cal. Can anyone tell me why I should go 7X57 instead. Besides price of conversion of course. Randy.

I once saw-not closely- a Mauser 93 with a Marlin .35 Rem barrel installed. Another option.

Or get ER Shaw to supply a barrel in .35 Rem- then do the 35x57 thing. Only downside there is weight. Heavy Sporter is the lightest Contour they will do in 35 caliber.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast