RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Small Ring Mauser build

Boolit Master
    I did one similar to the 35x57. I had a 7x57 barrel bored to .338 with a 14" twist. Reamed the chamber with a 338-06 reamer up to the the old shoulder. I shoot an accurate 34-200BM or the Lee 220 gr to about 1900 fps. I could easily go faster but recoil is starting to rear its head and it handles deer with authority.

The only reason I went with 338x57 was that I had everything to build this gun but the barrel. If I had went 35 I would have to buy molds, check, sizer, dies, brass etc.

Without touching the feed rails this thing feeds slicker than a minnows lip. I did also have to buy a stock blank. A Boyd's prairie hunter. I call it a 34-57 since I like the old black powder designation. The empty case holds 57 gr of fffg. I have 34 Roberts stamped on the barrel. I'm sure there's another like it in the world but I haven't heard of it yet.
    I love this gun!

Several years ago I put an F14 Adams and Bennet barrel in 7x57 on a Turkish action. Shaped the stock along the lines of a mod 70 featherweight. It was my favorite rifle until I built the 34. If I only shot jacketed it still would be.
    Last edited by Wolfer; 05-07-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

In Remembrance

The talk about a small ring `98 type action reminded me. I have a WW 1 Erfurt Kar 98a that is a small ringed action.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    The talk about a small ring `98 type action reminded me. I have a WW 1 Erfurt Kar 98a that is a small ringed action.Robert
    Now you're just bragging. I would too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Could make a 45ACP bolt gun with that, hmmm

Boolit Master
    I got a small ring spanish mauser and I put a .35Rem barrel on it. It gave me feeding problems. From what I read about on these posts is the .35rem is a hit or miss on the feeding issue.
    There are a good many cartridges that work off the mauser case:
    257Roberts, 7x57, 6.5x55, 8x57. take your pick they are all fine.
    If it actually ends up being the small ring '98, then your safe with the high pressure stuff like .308, etc., maybe you could go modern like 6.5 kreedmore.
    Last edited by kens; 05-08-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, that is a lot of food for thought. While we are speaking 35 rem/35x57's. Do the specs on this barrel appear to be acceptable for a 35 rem/35x57 barrel job with a SR mauser action? As follows:

Star Rolling Block Barrel Blanks
    Original unchambered barrel in the white. Measures 20-7/8" long with 6-groove rifling. Shank measures .950" diameter x 1-1/2" long with a Metric 27mm diameter x 2.0 thread. Barrel tapers from 1.165" at the shoulder to .650" at the muzzle, stepped down to .560" diameter."

Many thanks, Randy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    Gentlemen, that is a lot of food for thought. While we are speaking 35 rem/35x57's. Do the specs on this barrel appear to be acceptable for a 35 rem/35x57 barrel job with a SR mauser action? As follows:

Star Rolling Block Barrel Blanks
    Original unchambered barrel in the white. Measures 20-7/8" long with 6-groove rifling. Shank measures .950" diameter x 1-1/2" long with a Metric 27mm diameter x 2.0 thread. Barrel tapers from 1.165" at the shoulder to .650" at the muzzle, stepped down to .560" diameter."

Many thanks, Randy.
    What is the barrel material, bore and groove dimensions, and twist rate? The questions would be the same for any cartridge, if the exterior dimensions are large enough.

Boolit Buddy

Sir, that is all the info I was provided. My main question I suppose is if the " Shank measures .950" diameter x 1-1/2" long " would be enough material for the .920 threads on the small ring Mauser.

I hope you'll post a photo or two of the action when it arrives.

Boolit Buddy

I just got a PM from a well known member stating that the above mentioned barrel isn't suitable. My memory served me incorrectly stating in post #28 ".920'' SR Mauser barrel shank". He correctly stated "SR Mauser thread shanks are .980''. The blank in question is only .950''. No bueno, Randy.

Boolit Master
    Watch Midway USA.com for mauser barrels. I got 2 of them, occasionally they go on sale.
    I got a large ring .35whelen barrel for <100$
    I also got a smallring Shilen 35rem barrel for <200$
    it takes time to wait for those prices though

Boolit Buddy

Yes Sir, it does. Patience is a virtue I lack. I will try to hold off till Memorial day. After that all bets are off. Also talked to my FFL, Mauser is running late. Hopefully tomorrow I will see what I got. Randy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    Sir, that is all the info I was provided. My main question I suppose is if the " Shank measures .950" diameter x 1-1/2" long " would be enough material for the .920 threads on the small ring Mauser.
    Yes, I gave you only a partial answer. It has been quite a while since I looked at the specs of the thread for the small rings. If the shoulder was long enough, you could remove the existing shank and recut the chamber if the bore specs are correct for the desired cartridge.

Boolit Master
    With reference to #26,how can a .950 dia shank have a 27mmx2mm thread.....anyhoo,i suspect that is a soft conversion of 12 tpi,but if the barrel is made of a mild steel,its unsuitable for high pressure anyway.

Boolit Master
    You guys got my curiosity peaked. At that price, I'm seriously thinking about getting one or two of these actions. I wouldn't mind one in 35-300 Savage if possible. If not, I'd probably stick with either 7x57 or maybe go for one in .300 savage, .257 Roberts or .250 Savage.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, while we are on the subject of the Mauser parts kit. The lady I spoke to on the phone stated the firing pin had been shortened? Anyone have experience?
    #1 why? #2 Can it be welded/lengthened? #3 Do I nee a new firing pin? Many thanks, Randy.

Boolit Buddy

am44, I noticed there was another vendor, J&G sales that had 1916 Spanish 7x57 Mausers for $119.00 Complete. They said a few parts were missing, but had a stock. Listed under gunsmith specials. Randy.

The shortened firing pin will need to be replaced. An easy way to make a wall hanger is what they were after I guess.

I've seen some mauser firing pins that have been repaired by soldering in a new piece on the tip and reshaping it. Shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement pin and certainly no worth the trouble to repair the old one unless you just want to. Springfield sporters has them for $22 http://www.ssporters.com/product-p/1410-14.htm
    Liberty tree has them for $30 https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...&idcategory=50 or evilbay https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAUSER-93-9...gAAOSwUWpa8col

Make sure to check the firing pin protrusion before firing it. Love to see pictures of the actual condition when it comes in. A couple cheap actions laying around the shop waiting for a project aren't a bad thing. A DWM 93 mauser in 7x57 was my first deer rifle.

Boolit Buddy

Moleman-, thanks for the info on firing pins. Yes, I agree having a couple spare Mauser's ain't all that bad. I will take a couple pics when I receive said Mauser.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast