RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Small Ring Mauser build

Boolit Buddy

Small Ring Mauser build

Gentlemen, I received an email from Old Western scrounger. They had 1916 7x57 barreled actions plus parts kit for $49.00.

Well I ordered one. I called an asked employee. They claim it is a 98 variant with a small ring (like a Turkish). I have a feeling they are wrong, (most likely a re-worked 93) will see next week.

Assuming the barrel is shot out, will need a new barrel. I am open to suggestions. If you had a small ring Mauser. What would you re-barrel to, and why. Randy.

I'd go with 7x57 mm, because it's traditional and I like the cartridge for hunting.

Boolit Master
    My brother had a 1916 Spanish Mauser. It was originally a 7x57 but was converted to 308 win. That’s the Mauser they say is not safe with full power loads. Well this was pre internet and we shot hundreds or thousands of mill surplus’s. I remember one time taking all the bullets loose from the machine gun links we ordered cheep. On day the chamber insert came out with the shot brass. He ordered a dugless extra match barrel and had a local gun smith install it. He ordered the barrel in the original caliber 7x57 mauser. It’s a heavy match 26 or 28 inch and very heavy. Well it does look good but putting that much money in a small ring Mauser just don’t know

If you find out what it is and need a new ( different ) barrel watch eBay as you can find all sorts of take off barrels and maybe something that will fit. Right now 7 mm barrels are so common they sell usually at the lowest prices of all calibers.

Jedman

If I just wanted to hunt varmints and deer I'd go with .257 Roberts, 7x57 for elk. Both are offered short chambered for not too much $$$.
    I like my 1916 but it ain't no 98 so I respect it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, thank you for all your input. Thats kinda what I had in mind. Keep 7x57. Had a Ruger 77 a few years back in that caliber. Sweet shooting. Just wanted input. Might be fishing for a few Mauser parts here in the near future. And, Iv'e already got a Turk 98 in 30-06. Thanks, Randy.

Boolit Master
    Have a small ring with a cut rifled barrel installed. The chamber is in 308 Win put the rifle together about 20 years ago. The rifle shoots well and have killed many deer with the rifle.
    Got the action on a trade out for some lathe work, the barrel was made in Israel when they were making barrels for converting Mauser to 30 caliber. Purchased six of the barrels many years back from the old paper Shot Gun News.
    A cheap gun to build but shoots well.

Boolit Master
    I have been thinking about picking up a 7x57 threaded short chamber , from midway ,

Are you going to carve a stock or use a commercial stock, like Boyds?

Boolit Master
    I would be interested in seeing just exactly what your receive. OWS listing is a little vague and they don't really have any pics. If what you end up with is a shootable rifle that needs a bit of cleaning and a stock then they are a good deal.....if you end up with a pile of rusted parts then not so much. Pics when you get it would be great!! Thanks....

Boolit Buddy

RustyReel, I agree the listing is a little vague. I called. The lady claims it's a 98 variant, small ring. Doubt it. will let Y'all know.

Boolit Buddy

Tatume, about the stock. I am not much of a wood worker. I would need a 98% press fit. I am actually open to anything. Suggestions? Got one for sale? Randy.

Boolit Buddy

Also, would 35 Remington be a suitable cartridge if I end up barrelling? Thanks, Randy.

Boolit Grand Master

The small ring Mauser is not so dangerous because it won't handle pressure although it is a rated 45.000 psi and the 308 will run 50 or more. The small ring doesn't have the safety lug or the gas venting unless it has been converted. We will only do a 93/95 in lower pressure rounds such as the 7x57 257 Roberts ect. I just did a small ring Ovedieo in 7x57 with a barrel from Midway and it made a really nice gun and an accurate shooter too. The cost of the conversion is directly proportional to what work you can do yourself. If you have to pay some one $10 a hole for drill and tap and 30-50 for a bolt handle and then pay for the stock work you are better off buying a Winchester M70 or such.

Boolit Buddy

I have read if this is truely a 1916 Spanish Mauser the bolts are already turned. Are they turned down enough for a scope? Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    I have read if this is truely a 1916 Spanish Mauser the bolts are already turned. Are they turned down enough for a scope? Randy.
    No, they are not. Unless you mount the scope obsenely high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    Also, would 35 Remington be a suitable cartridge if I end up barrelling? Thanks, Randy.
    Yes the 35 Rem would be a suitable cartridge. I rebarreled a M91 Argentine using a Brownell's Shilen 26" barrel pre-threaded and short chambered. It is a sweet shooting rifle and deadly on deer with the RCBS 35-200-FN. I push that cast bullet at 2150 fps in the bolt gun.

However, were I to rebarrel a 1916 Oviedo to 35 caliber I would get the Shilen short chambered 35 Rem barrel with a 14" twist and chamber it to the 35x57 cartridge. The really nice thing, other than it is a great cast bullet cartridge, about the 35x57 is there is no factory cartridge with attendant pressure to worry about.

A standard low cost, easy to rent 35 Whelen finish reamer is used to finish ream the chamber to headspace on the cases you form.

Cases are easily formed from 35 Whelen or 30-06 or by using 8x57 cases.

Dies are standard 35 Whelen dies that have been shortened so the shoulder of the 8x57 case (or 35 Whelen '06 shortened to 57mm) is set back just enough so the longer 35 Whelen neck is formed. No expensive dies are needed....standard Whelen dies are easily shortened.

The formed 35x57 cartridges have the Mauser case taper so they feed w/o any action alteration of the rails.

Again, the cases are easily made and being totally non factory you control the psi level. I have done these conversion to 35x57 on 3 SR Mausers for others. They were very pleased with the cartridge.

I picked up an Oveido M1916 action back in '69. I D&T'd it for scope and receiver sights, forged the bolt handle, added a scope safety, converted it to cock on opening and barreled it with a Star 24" barrel in .308W, Shot that barrel out and rebarreled with another Star (became Shaw) barrel in .308W and also shot that barrel out. The barreled action was bedded in a Richard's Micro Fit stock. I then rebarreled using a new 2 groove 'A3 barrel and chambered it in my own .308 CBC cartridge. The action makes for a nice conversion but I did all the work myself except for the last rebarrel.

Attachment 219981
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

sixgun, 20 + yrs. ago I bought a 7x57 SR , 98, 1910 Mexican Mauser, it had a bad barrel, I had several Swedish 6.5 x55 m 38 barrels threaded one into the action & carefully centered it in a FG-M14 stock fitted a 98 cross bolt with F.G. then added a walnut cheek piece, a Redfield JR & a Tasco fixed 30x so I did not have to bother with a spotting scope, it is all entertainment to me, I just love doing things with Rifles, Fivefang

Very interesting discussion on the 35x57 cartridge. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy

Yes Sir. Very interesting indeed about the 35x57. I was not aware of this useful sounding conversion.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast