RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Small Ring Mauser build

Boolit Buddy

Texas by God, I have a black synthetic stock I got off another forum member. He also sold me a Williams peep sight. Got a good deal too. The forum members here are pretty cool. Randy.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, been a while since I posted. I've made some progress. I installed my barrel. Fit my stock to my action/bottom metal.

Here are a few pics. First pic is from the business end.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	223720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	223721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	223722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	223723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	223724

I've been working on my factory trigger. I installed a set screw in the spring cup for an over travel. Larry Gibson has been schooling me. I have the factory trigger down to 3.5 lbs too.

I installed a Williams peep for the rear. I had an old Rem 700 ramp I "black max" glued to the front of barrel.

I still need to bore sight my sights. then I have to make some brass, and work a couple loads. Randy.

Looking good, Randy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, I received something from my gunsmith. I like simple, effective solutions. I believe this qualifies

Name:	20180720_150755.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	223990

I trim with Lee case trimmers. They do not make one for 35x57 Mauser. My smith made a brass bushing for an 8x57 Mauser. Randy.
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 07-20-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: removed photo

Boolit Master
    Very nice sir.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy

woodbutcher, not a problem. Glad to oblige. I've been a long time lurker here. Never posted much. Hope someone learns from my mistakes. So far this builds been alot of fun. I just need to finish it up. And in the end it's all "mine". Never find one like it on a rack. Randy.

Boolit Buddy
    This comes at a good time. I'm working on a small ring 95, converting to 35 Rem. Spun the 7mm barrel off and cleaning things up right now. D&T the receiver today, going to check fit with the new barrel. I went with a Rhineland arms barrel using the Savage style lock ring. I'm hoping to get to use it for deer this fall. The featured gun here is a dandy, so are all of them in this thread.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You might consider 6.5x55 se. That light action was originally used for 6.5x55se. It’s not a 308, but very accurate and flat shooting. Perfect for deer. It’s very popular in Europe and gaining popularity in the U.S.

Boolit Master
    another one bites the dust!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

The majority of my rifles are Mausers, some commercial and a good number military, both sporterized and original. I respect any original condition Mauser, but love to customize these milsurps.

Seeing threads like this get my interest, especially when it’s done by the owner. Keep the pictures coming!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

The 6.5X55 cases are a little fatter than the 7X57 or 30-06 based cases so they might not set quite right in the magazine of a '93 or newer non Swede rifle. They do work fine in the single stack 91 magazine. If need be the mag follower can be modified easily so they set properly. I noticed this when trying the 6.5X55 cases in a 95 Mauser I have.
    We need a shooting report on this project! LOL.

I concur, Uncle G. When I was young I had a 3 rifle Mauser 98 battery, all customized by me. I had a VZ24 .22-250, a BRNO K98 in 8x57, and an Amberg G98 in .358 Norma. I was covered. I love these threads too.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	1895 chilean.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	234931

I'm happy with how mine turned out. It's a keeper. I haven't had a lot of time to do much 35 Rem loading this winter but it'll come.

Quote Originally Posted by ajjohns View Post

Name:	1895 chilean.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	234931

I'm happy with how mine turned out. It's a keeper. I haven't had a lot of time to do much 35 Rem loading this winter but it'll come.
    Is that one of the champion synthetic stocks? How do you like it?
    Perfect scope by the way!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I concur, Uncle G. When I was young I had a 3 rifle Mauser 98 battery, all customized by me. I had a VZ24 .22-250, a BRNO K98 in 8x57, and an Amberg G98 in .358 Norma. I was covered. I love these threads too.

Any further information on this one ya care to share?

I have wanted this one for about ten years... finally got off my **** last year when I bought a Interarms MARK X as a donor action.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Sure, IMHO the best 06 length belted mag ever. My brother bought it as a .35 Whelen Imp and had Lou Williamson in Hurst to rechamber it and modify the action. We traded it back and forth till it got away unfortunately. .35 Rem to almost .375 H&H loads and we didn't even shoot cast back then. The last I heard of it it had been rebarreled to .300 Win mag

Last edited by Texas by God; 02-01-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Texas, I think it is that brand of stock? Same as the clay target company I think? It is what it is for 80 bucks but has rubber grip inserts, sling eyes, and recoil pad. It's a little flimsy in the forearm but so far so good. Took a little inletting but not a whole bunch, shoots nice anyway. The scope was a trade, I think I did ok.

That's the only stock available afaik for an all weather SR Mauser rifle. That and Dura Coat or Cerakote and you're ready for whatever!

Boolit Buddy

35X57 93 Mauser resurrection

Fellers, been gone a while I know. I thought I would resurrect this thread. I kinda fell off the face of the earth for a while. Well, here goes...... I finally got around to loading a few rounds of ammo for my 35X57 Mauser build on a SM 93 Mauser.

The test ammo was Pri 8X57 brass that has been reformed in my custom/shortened 35 Whelan dies. The boolit is the RCBS clone/Lee 200 gr FN gas checked about 210 grains. The cases were primed with LR Wolf primers, then charged with 30 grains IMR 4895. I know this isn't a hot load. From what I read on this forum a lot of guys just load 16 grs of 2400, and call it good.

Secured my weapon in my “custom” rifle vise, tied a string to the trigger and tugged. Everything went well, still had all my digits. So I extracted the case. Extracted easy no damage noticed. Primers looked OK. So I fired another round. Same again.

Now here is where I need the help from the experts. I enclosed a couple pictures, one unfired loaded round and 2 fired cases. Does everything look OK to you guys?

Name:	111.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	249302 and here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brassxx.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	249303

I have zero experience chambering rifles, other than setting head-space timing on crew served weapons in the Army. My Mauser is very similar having the Savage barrel nut system. I used the "3 new case method" as described by a well known member from this board. Thanks, Larry for all your help.

I hope to get to the local Rod n Gun range soon. I will include groups and pics. Thank you to everyone for all your assistance in this project Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That's the only stock available afaik for an all weather SR Mauser rifle. That and Dura Coat or Cerakote and you're ready for whatever!

Last edited by sixgunner452; 10-08-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: pics

Boolit Master

Six gunner, looks like you did good. It ready for deer season now! Here is a picture of my 35 Rem built on a 93 action....

Attachment 249308
    Last edited by Uncle Grinch; 10-13-2019 at 07:32 AM.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast