Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Small Ring Mauser build

Banned
    i like the 9.3x57.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    i like the 9.3x57.
    I like sporterized Mausers (and other military rifles) and I have a bunch of them. So not bad mouthin' the project. Most of mine were done by someone else, both commercially and by individuals. I think these "cheap" small rings (already about $100 by the time you add in shipping, transfer and a new firing pin) are going to be a money pit. If you like to work on this kind of stuff as I do, that's fine, but there are tons of nicely sported rifles out there that have been neglected that need to be refreshed. Just my opinion.

As far as the 9.3x57 is concerned you can go to Simpson's and get a pretty nice one for about $300, small ring commercial Swedish Husqvarna rifle that will certainly keep its value. Again, just my opinion...

Boolit Master
    I did a little checking. Looks like the Model 1916 is a later variant of the 1893 Spanish Mauser. Small ring like the 93, but with turned down bolt handle, and gas holes bored. Sorry, but it sure does not look like a 98 action. I had a 93 about 50 years ago, and it was a decent shooter in 7X57. Back then there was not much 7mm available at least in the Ozarks, but I bought a box of I think it was Remington UMC 7mm Mauser ammo. Wish I'd kept the box; it would probably be a collector now. Looking back, I think it was possibly Mexican Civil War (1912) issue, and was somewhat indifferent as to working properly. Sometimes it would go bang, and sometimes it would go bang and the case would split a little bit down near the case head.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 05-10-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Boolit Master

I too have had quite a few 93 and 95 Mausers in various configurations. My first cost me $15 back in 1967 or 68.i put $200 in that rifle and traded it for a new Rem 700 ADL in 6mm Rem, which I still have. Never could pass up a deal on Mausers, be it SR or LR. Had 7mm and 308 Win versions.

I just had a nice 35 Rem on a 93 Mauser returned to me yesterday from my gunsmith. Will put it in a Mannlicher stock shortly.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

My first Mauser was an Interarms "sporter" 1893 Spanish 7x57mm. I bought it at White's Auto in 1973 for $40. Compared to my 22-250 it was a shotgun. I did not know about oversize bores as a kid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I received the Mauser from FFL It indeed was a small ring Spanish Mauser. One of the 1893's converted. Had turned down handle too, and parts kit. Pretty much complete minus stock. Heavy rust and pits on outside of barrel. Haven't checked inside yet. Not too hopeful. Will try to get a couple pics. Randy.

Boolit Buddy

Well guys, here it is. Not much to look at.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1916.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	220310 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1916_2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	220311 . Randy

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, also.will a 91 Argentine stock fit a 93/1916 Spanish Mauser? Thanks, Randy.

Boolit Master
    Randy. So, what was the "parts kit"?

Re: 91 Argentine stock. Not saying it can't be done but the '91 has a single stack magazine what hangs below the stock line. If it would work you would have to do a lot of inletting for the '93 trigger guard. Best to wait until you can find one for the '93.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you RustyReel, about the magazine info. The parts kit hasn't been opened yet, I can tell that it has the bottom metal, screws, etc. Suppose to be rest of gun; minus stock. Bolt, trigger assy was already installed in gun. Randy.

Boolit Master
    From your pic it looks to be missing the extractor as well, hope one is in the bag!!

Someone above pointed you to Richards Microfit. Many will disagree, but I have used several of their stocks off their bargain/closeout list with very good results. Some nice wood for the $$. Just checked and I don't see any on that list for the SR Mauser but you may want to bookmark it and check it every few weeks for an update.....or possibly call and ask (I've never done that). Depending on what it is, it should require minimal work to fit but expect to spend a bit of time finishing the outside. You may also want to keep an eye on Boyds as they have their Rapid Fire thingy that sometimes has SR Mausers. and of course evilbay.

Anyway, my temptation to pick up a couple of these is waning ........Keep us posted...

Boolit Buddy

RustyReel, the extractor was in the bag. As well as screws, barrel bands, butt plate, etc. pretty much everything, except I am missing the screw, and I believe a spring for the lever that releases the bolt. Randy.

Boolit Master
    when you look at the bolt face, does the firing pin hole look worn, or does it look like it fits firing pin snugly?
    rust pits on the bolt face??

Boolit Buddy

kens, I finally got the safety to move. had to put in pan of boiling water to get 75 year old cosmoline running. I am far from an expert, but the firing pin hole looks ok to me. As far as firing pin protrusion. Not gonna happen. Firing pin was shortened prior to me recieveing. I guess they wanted this one to be a wall hanger. Here are a few picks. RandyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	220513.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	220514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	220515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	220516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	220517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	220518

Yea, the barrel is a little pitted. LOL. Reciever is pretty clean though. Randy.

Boolit Master
    Seems to be cleaning up much better that what I would have expected. What does the inside of the barrel look like??

Boolit Buddy

RustyReel, I had it soaking in peroxide for a couple days. Read that somewhere, Venturino, or Taffin. Scrubbed today Looks like the proverbial sewage drain. Could possibly shoot, has some rifling left. Gonna stew on it a while. Not gonna hold my breath. But yea, the action looks pretty good. Randy.

That action looks fine from here. Put the bolt in and feel for lug setback- if it's bad you can feel it.
    Looks good enough to rebarrel if the original is shot- pun intended.

Boolit Buddy

Texas by God, that is my plan. Thanks, for the input. My last Mauser project was a Turk. I sent it out to a smith in Oregon. Might do the same again. Really would like to do more myself this time. Probably will parkerize it when completed. Been messing around with parkerizing a while now. Pretty easy actually. Cheap too. Can get everything you need at the Hardware store. What kind of equipment is needed to remove the barrel from the action? Specifically, what do you use to secure the action? I saw in one of your posts talking about barrel removal. Randy

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    Also, would 35 Remington be a suitable cartridge if I end up barrelling? Thanks, Randy.

.............An FN made SR Mauser action (1894 Brazilian contract) barreled to 35 Rem. The maker of the stock is dis-recalled at the moment but was on sale for $39 Front sight is a Rem 700 that was silver soldered on. No bolt, extractor, or ejector mods required. I did install a Timney trigger.

Targets @ 50 yards, using surplus WC846 and Saeco 200 gr cast.

I also barreled an additional action (as above) to 7.62x39 utilizing a pre-threaded/chambered bbl from GPC, and a partially inletted stock.

Same action as above. However, with this cartridge you'd have to have a magazine blocker, alterations to the follower, extractor & ejector simply due to the smaller overall dimensions of the cartridge.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Midway and Brownells have a good selection of barrel removal and installation tools. Buckshot's you need to build a new rifles and post up a thread as you do it LOL. Those are very cool guns!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast