Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger GP100 Lipsey 5” in 44 Special Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Well I think im going to trade my M617 no dash for the half lug,, am I delusional ?? Ive got an early M18 and h ent shot the 617 much since then....
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Decided I didn’t like the grips on the lipsey (purely personel preference I admit). Put a pair of gp100 rubber/insert grips which fit like a glove. Did the same for my stainless gp100 in 357 which completly knocked me off the fence on the love side of the pistol. Amazing what a grip change can accomplish. They just feel right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gi5af7n1a...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Well I think im going to trade my M617 no dash for the half lug,, am I delusional ?? Ive got an early M18 and h ent shot the 617 much since then....
    Depending on configuration the M18 and 617 could give a perfectly different shooting dynamic causing you to lean towards the M18. I’d be hard pressed to let go of a good older 617 for one of these Rugers instead opting for a layaway of sorts if I couldn’t purchase the Ruger outright.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input, really questioning my sanity, ...... They don't make them anymore,,, either one !!!! **** ,wish i was rich!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Well it followed me home today. Made me a good cash price.....enough anyway. Quick check with bullets for gages says throats are .431ish, all feel the same as well. BC gap is good and enplay is undetectable,, nicely done. Didnt figure they would let me slug the bore so any thread choke is unknown at the moment. All said, looks like Ruger did a good job on this one, trigger is decent as well.
    Gotta load some Skeeter loads and give it a try, picturrs soon....cause it really did haplen

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot a whole lot of "Skeeter's Load", or its equivalent put up in 44 Magnum brass (8.5 grains of Unique or 9.0 grains of Herco). The half-lug GP-100 is a NICE-LOOKING revolver.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Heres the family of GP100s

Boolit Master

And from the business end, Clement's 41 special on the left then the Lipsey's 44 special and an early 357. The 44 is the first new in box Ruger Ive bought since the 357 GP, arround 84 or 85. I may stop here, 2 good ones out of 2 tries !
    Last edited by rking22; 07-07-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Boolit Master

And from the business end, Clement's 41 special on the left then the Lipsey's 44 special and an early 357. The 44 is the first new in box Ruger Ive bought since the 357 GP, arround 84 or 85. I may stop here, 2 good ones out of 2 tries !
    Right nice collection you have there. Look like “loads” of fun!
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Thanks, theres a big brother Redhawk 5 inch and a 3 inch 327 Fed Sp101lil brother. The mid frame big bores do everything I need and carry way better than the Redhawk beast. Shot the 44 a bit yesterday, the grip looks great, but my thumb knuckle gets rapped. Gonna try the original grips on it shortly. Loader set for 7.5 unique and got some NOE 235 rfs to size and lube, ready for loads of fun

Boolit Master

Shot the 44 a bit yesterday, the grip looks great, but my thumb knuckle gets rapped. Gonna try the original grips on it shortly.
    Had exact same problem with the wood grips. Loved the look but just didn’t mate up to my hand. Put a set of the rubber with inserts in and felt perfect.

Boolit Master
    Sorry bout dredging this thread back but wanted to see what everyone thinks after 6 months with their 44s.
    I would like to say I've been working on load development but honestly just cranking unique thru the old Dillon with the NOE 234gr to the tune of 7.5 at a pull. Carrying it when cutting wood or just wandering around the farm. Shooting whatever seems to need it, lots of osage balls and pine cones. Really liking mine, it wears old style Ruger insert grips and the 357 has the walnut, perfection now. Anyway, hows everyone getting along with their 1770s?

Got a 3" 44spl. back in Feb. I didn't like the Hogue grips, put on a set of the compact factory ones. Loading a 250 gr. SWC HP over 7gr. of unique for 835 fps, a 255gr. solid ,#429421 Lyman over 6.8gr. gets 775 fps. 4.4gr. of BE with the 429421 makes a good target load. It's a little faster than the factory 246gr. load. A few Speer shot loads and I'm ready for anything that crawls or walks in Ar.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Mold
    I have been shooting my Lipsey 5", full lug .44 Special since Christmas. LOVE IT! Have not tried any loads, all cast bullets, that have not been at least 3" groups or less. Have tried Unique, 2400, H110, IMR 4227 and Lil' gun powders. All using 240- to 250 grain bullets. Thus far my favorite load is 16.0 gr. H110 250 grain cast hp, running about 910fps. shooting 1.0" at 25 yds. off bench.

Boolit Master
    I’m feeling the urge for one of the 3” guns. Might just get the Smith so I can use magnum brass. Or buy two Charter Arms and a bag of brass for the same price
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Groo here
    I looked at the GP100 in 44 spec but such a large heavy gun in 44 spec did not seem right to me...
    I got an S&W M-69 instead so can shoot any 44 spec and most 44 mag[aka factory]...
    Then I found a GP100 WC in 10mm..
    Now That Works...

Boolit Buddy
    John Taffin is shootin all three of them in American Handgunner right now. .44, .357, .32.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HMA19-SixgunnerLipseys-2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	234696
    Last edited by 475BH; 01-26-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123