Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 Lipsey 5” in 44 Special Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Not sure of the model number, but it's the Lipsey Ruger 1/2 underlug, Ruger rubber grips with wooden inserts, 5" barrel, adjustable sights, 5 shot. I have done more that a little business with them, and there is not much demand for 44 Specials in my area. I think the tag price was $585. And then the local tax of 10.25% would have been added to that. Seems like Lipsey had it msrp at $880 or so. Here's the add from Lipsey:

Ruger GP100 Ruger GP100 44SPC BLUE 5" HALF LUG 1770 ADJ SGTS/WALNUT GRIPS 44 Special RUGP4451MSRP: $869

And, shoot. I noticed in their latest ad had the walnut grips.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 05-10-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Boolit Master

I picked her up last night and I can say with great clarity that I much prefer this model over my 4 inch 357 GP 100. I’m not a big fan of the rubber grips on my 4 inch model and I need to replace them. This model s lighter due to the larger bore size obviously, but more importantly just feels right in hand. Much prefer the wooden grips on the 5 inch model. Looking forward to getting her to the range. My recommendation after handling this one would be if you’re on the fence, you better jump down on the buy it side while you have the chance.

Attachment 220503
    Attachment 220504
    Attachment 220505
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Grand Master

The more I see the 5” half lug the more I’m really liking it.

Boolit Master
    I reckon a correction to my previous post is in order. My Lipsey Ruger GP100 44 Special is not a half underlug, it is a full underlug. My only excuse is a severe case of getting older.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP100 - 44 Special 5 inch 001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	220587

Boolit Bub
    Put some holes in that target!

Half underlug makes me think of the Security-Six. Which makes sense, they're both Rugers.

Boolit Man
    I’ve had a 5” full lug for about a week, havent had a chance to shoot it yet maybe ill get a chance to shoot it someday soon I’ve got quite a few boolits from my mp-molds H&G 503 copy made up and ready to go just no time. This one looks like I got a good one though .005 bc gap .432 throats it could stand a trigger job but thats easy enough and it feels like it has some thread choke havent slugged it yet but ran a tight patch down it and can feel it. shouldn’t take much to lap it out if needed.

CDNN has the GP100 44 Spec 5” blued full length underlug at $499 right now. Very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I got one on March 31. Before I bought it, I measured the chamber throats with my calipers; as I had read that the 3" GP100 chambers were about .434" or so. But they came in at .430", and then I measured the trigger pull, and it came in at @4.5 pounds. I figured I could live with that until I got a spring kit. Got in a spring kit from Wilson, and with the 8 pound trigger return spring I got the trigger down to 3 pounds. With my pet load - of Speer .430" lead 240 gr. SWC's, and 6.8 grains of Unique it is now a very accurate revolver. Velocity with pet load = 939, 916, and 912 fps; velocity with 240 grain HSM Cowboy factory loads = 727, 729, and 754 fps.
    You cannot get an accurate measurement of the inside of a hole with caliper blades as they for a tiny bridge and will measure to small. To get accurate measurements;

1. slug the throats.
    2 use pin gauge
    3 use a machinist expandable hole gauge.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

It always amazes me how Ruger can produce a revolver that's at least 1/4 lb. heavier than it should be. (I'm a Ruger owner, BTW) It's too bad they didn't flute the cylinder and streamline their GP's a bit.
    But I'm a huge fan of the .44 Special.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    You cannot get an accurate measurement of the inside of a hole with caliper blades as they for a tiny bridge and will measure to small. To get accurate measurements;

1. slug the throats.
    2 use pin gauge
    3 use a machinist expandable hole gauge.
    In my feeble defense, I was at a local gun shop; they sprung it on me, and I had a set of calipers in my vehicle. I admit it was a ballpark measurement, but it was a heap better than nothing. I thought about it, went back and tried my trigger gauge on it; came out at @4.5 pounds which I figured I could live with until I got in a spring kit from Wilson.

Boolit Man
    I admit that I have an extreme weakness for the 44 special caliber. I also am a fan of 5" barrels.. I am also not a fan of the bigger and heavier Rugers or.. of their sometimes...uh... 'cavalier' machining of throats on their revolvers especially in 44-40 or 45 Colt. If I could get that little Ruger in say .430 on up to say .432 throats with a reasonable BC gap.. and those wood grips and half lug? well.. Me and Ruger revolvers might become friends again.

What is odd to me is that with so many 44 special fans... that there are so few 44 special revolvers. I guess it is because 44 mag will shoot 44 special but it is not the same thing. I never shoot 44 special ammo out of my various 44 mag revolvers...

lazs

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lazs View Post
    I am also not a fan of the bigger and heavier Rugers or.. of their sometimes...uh... 'cavalier' machining of throats on their revolvers especially in 44-40 or 45 Colt. If I could get that little Ruger in say .430 on up to say .432 throats with a reasonable BC gap.. and those wood grips and half lug? well.. Me and Ruger revolvers might become friends again.

lazs
    Ran a lead ball through (2) of the cylinders last night as I was restless. Mic read .4315’ish.

Edit: Borrowed a few pin gauges from work this evening and all the cylinders check out at .431+. Also got my feeler gauges out to check the bc. .006 was very very tight but did fit.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 05-21-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    You guys are killing me. I was "forced" call CDNN and order one of the 5 inch blued models.

Boolit Man
    I can live with .4315ish especially if they are all the same. I coat my bullets and size to .431 that extra half to one thou is not a big deal. I had one Redhawk that ran .433 and maybe a tad more in a couple cylinders.. could not get that gun to shoot really well.

lazs

Boolit Master

I can live with .4315ish especially if they are all the same. I coat my bullets and size to .431 that extra half to one thou is not a big deal. I had one Redhawk that ran .433 and maybe a tad more in a couple cylinders.. could not get that gun to shoot really well.

lazs
    The 432 pin gauge did not fit in any cylinder. Seem pretty consistent.

Boolit Master

lazs
    That is the reason I used a caliper when I was looking at the 5". I had seen an article on the first 3" GP100's and if I recall right, it indicated they were running at .434". I may not be an expert like some of y'all, but I knew that dog wouldn't hunt. I will admit I may have not been as accurate with the calipers as with one of those pin gauges, but I think I could tell if it was running at .434".

Boolit Master
    I don't care to shoot hot .44 loads so the special fits the bill nicely. I opted for the Lipsey's single action version. Great caliber to cast and load for. You can use sized boolits to check your cylinder throats. .431 seems pretty close to ideal if the barrel is to spec.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I don't care to shoot hot .44 loads so the special fits the bill nicely. I opted for the Lipsey's single action version. Great caliber to cast and load for. You can use sized boolits to check your cylinder throats. .431 seems pretty close to ideal if the barrel is to spec.
    I too have the Lipsey SA 4 1/2", and it is a very good shooter with .430" Speer swaged lead swc's. I slugged the chambers on my new GP100 5", and they slugged out at .430". I agree that .431" is ideal.

Boolit Master
    Tried out some new loads in the 5" GP100 with Win 231, and Trail Boss, all with Speer swaged .430" lead swc's:

6 grains 231 = 810 fps
    6.1 grains 231 = 808 fps
    6,2 grains 231 = 806 - all averages - 231 must not be too sensitive to 1/10 grains variations

Trail Boss 4.8 grains = average of 686 fps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Win231andTrailboss.bmp  

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I reckon a correction to my previous post is in order. My Lipsey Ruger GP100 44 Special is not a half underlug, it is a full underlug. My only excuse is a severe case of getting older.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP100 - 44 Special 5 inch 001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	220587
    I have the same one. Very pretty and shoots great. It's kind of tough to get Lipsey's stuff in Canada but one of our importers has an in. He's pricey but he does get some cool stuff!!!
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast