Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 Lipsey 5” in 44 Special Thoughts?

Boolit Master

Ruger GP100 Lipsey 5” in 44 Special Thoughts?

Find myself lusting after a new wheelgun this morning...

A friend recently purchased a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 special and has been talking it up at work quite a bit. Well you know how that bug spreads... I am a recent convert to the 44 special and shoot the catridge in a model 29–2 and a early Rossi 44 mag lever action and enjoy both immensely. I enjoy the 44 spl so much, and combined with my friends indulgence, I now find myself looking to add a dedicated DA 44 special to the collection and it seems choices are slim. I do reload for the caliber. As I started searching my eyes began to fall on the GP100 of which I already have a 4 inch version in 357. While browsing the GP100 section of Ruger’s website I’ve stumbled upon the Lipsey model (1770) which is a half lug, blued, 5 inch, with classic lines that is very visually appealing. I have found the GP100 a bit bulky, albiet solid as a rock, in my 357 but the lines on the Lipsey version appears cleaner/sleeker and more traditional - a plus for me. This would be a range gun primarily.

Attachment 219875

Anyone have any experience with this model or the Lipsey’s in general? Thoughts/opinions? Other options to consider such as the Bulldog classic etc.?

Appreciate the input and the dialogue,
    Kev
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 05-05-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Grand Master

Love the half lug. Definitely an improvement over the traditional GP

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It has been on my "to get" list for a while now. I definitely want one. I have an original GP100 from 1985 and it is among my favorites, so I know the .44sp will be fun as well.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Lipsey’s is good. However, much of their offerings are limited run, some never run again. If you want something they have, better get it while you can. Might be your only chance. If you wait for them to show up on the auction sites, the price will be high. It seems Lipsey’s has a knack for filling small niche markets with just the right thing, like a half lug 5” GP100 in 44 Spl. You should trot down to your LGS Monday and have them ordered it for you. Sometimes your LGS can get them to you with a bit of a price break from what you see on the website.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I know several people that have those revolvers and the reports are 100% positive. I know some folks at Lipsey's and when they place and order they hold the makers feet to the fire on quality. If you want one of them, I would get with the program while they are available.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Sound wisdom gentlemen. I appreciate the enabling!
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

I have a full lug Lipsey's Exclusive (Ruger 1765) coming on Monday. Bud's was offering it for $516 which I thought was a great price.

Boolit Master

I saw those myself and actually feel a bit conflicted. That is a fine pistol and about $160 cheaper that I can get the one I am talking about. Choices choices choices

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I have a full lug Lipsey's Exclusive (Ruger 1765) coming on Monday. Bud's was offering it for $516 which I thought was a great price.

Boolit Master

Done deal, I ordered the half lug just a few minutes ago. Looking forward to posting a range report.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 05-07-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I put 40 rounds through this today. It seems like a pretty good shooter.

Boolit Master
    Good deal. Had a 3rd and 4th model S&W fixed sight 44 Special with 5" barrel. Perfect for the cartridge. Might have to have the one you ordered.

Boolit Master
    I got one on March 31. Before I bought it, I measured the chamber throats with my calipers; as I had read that the 3" GP100 chambers were about .434" or so. But they came in at .430", and then I measured the trigger pull, and it came in at @4.5 pounds. I figured I could live with that until I got a spring kit. Got in a spring kit from Wilson, and with the 8 pound trigger return spring I got the trigger down to 3 pounds. With my pet load - of Speer .430" lead 240 gr. SWC's, and 6.8 grains of Unique it is now a very accurate revolver. Velocity with pet load = 939, 916, and 912 fps; velocity with 240 grain HSM Cowboy factory loads = 727, 729, and 754 fps.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 05-08-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well crud, I had some time to kill so went to the toy shop. They had the 5 inch half lug in the counter, it feels GOOD , VERY GOOD! Tnight I will be looking thru the safe for trade matetial. It will go very well with my 41 special half lug GP !! 780$ is whats marhed, is that the going rate ?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Well crud, I had some time to kill so went to the toy shop. They had the 5 inch half lug in the counter, it feels GOOD , VERY GOOD! Tnight I will be looking thru the safe for trade matetial. It will go very well with my 41 special half lug GP !! 780$ is whats marhed, is that the going rate ?
    Seems like the going rate at the lgs. Online $655 and up.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, I have the full lug model and the only gripe I have (or had) is that it rapped the knuckle on my second finger when fired.The problem went away with a set of Hogue grips. And yes that Skelton load of 7.5 gr of Unique under the 429421 Keith bullet WILL get your attention. Hope this helps, Stan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post

My LGS said $680-685 all in taxes included. I may have to investigate this a little more closely.

Boolit Master

My LGS got mine for me for $650 before tax.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    My local gun shop sold me a new one for $530 OTD. Just saying ...

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the pricing data, kinda what i suspected. If its still there next week im going to see if theyre interested in a Browning 1885 in 06. Or...??
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    My local gun shop sold me a new one for $530 OTD. Just saying ...

1770 model number with half lug and walnut grips?

My LGS has the full lug for $515. The half lug and walnut grip model 1770 was considerably more even MSRP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast