RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: 1874 Pedersoli Billy Dixon Sharps

Boolit Buddy

1874 Pedersoli Billy Dixon Sharps

After looking at many guns on more than a few sites I have decided that this is what I want. It has up-graded wood and came with a Shaver long range tang sight with a Hadley eye cup. It was made in 2003 so it's about 15 years old but is in remarkably good condition. The only thing it needs is a rear sight that goes on the barrel. If anyone has one they will sell please contact me. Special thanks to all who posted advice to help me in my search, especially, 1Hawkeye...country gent...and rfd. Your info and experience made this possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails close front.jpg   full.jpg   no site.jpg   ps.jpg   shaver.jpg  

Do you plan to use the rear barrel sight, or just want the dovetail filled? I'd get a Marbles dovetail blank and put it in. I'd never use the rear barrel sight unless it was on a hunting rifle.
    Great looking gun and I think it will fill the bill well!

Boolit Buddy
    I would never own a Sharps that DIDN'T have barrel sights. That tang sight makes the rifle nearly useless for hunting, or just walking around plinking. The tang sight works fine when you are on the bench, or shooting at targets at known distances, but little else.

That IS a nice rifle, and very accurate if loaded properly. I owned one of those several years ago, and to my regret, let it get away from me.

Boolit Master
    Nice looking rig and now you're on your way and age don't matter but condition is everything.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 05-05-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Well boys and girls, I'm in the camp that doesn't want a rear leaf barrel sight on my rifle. I find them to be located at just about the balance point for convenient carry. I take mine off and usually configure a sight blank to conform to the barrel flats. Here's one in the "conforming" process...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eBf5FuHl.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	219881

And as far as rear sights go... You have a 1,000 yard rifle. If you're going to lug a 10 - 12 pound rifle around in the bush, why limit it's capacity with a short range sight. A sight card taped to the butt stock, or just from memory if you shoot it enough, would make the settings second nature in the field. If you're shooting clods or hunting critters, let the rifle have the opportunity to do it's thing. On my rifle that is very similar to yours, the tang sight folds down adjacent to the hammer, and below the top of the hammer spur. You would have to work at getting it hung up on anything...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeCFYeKl.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	219882

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Boolit Grand Master

Another option if the dovetail is there then Buffalo arms and MVA both sell a barrel mounted level to fill the dovetail. This helps a lot to avoid canting the rifle. Especially if your front globe dosnt have a level in it. Up close the cant isn't as big an issue as ranges extend and sight height goes up canting can add to windage more and decrease from elevation making for wide shots. THe level can help reduce this effect.

That's a good looking rifle and if like my pedersoli its a shooter. Mine does definitely prefer the heavier bullets in the 500-550 grn range. Ill bet the Lyman 535 grn postel will be a real performer in it over a case full off 1 1/2f olde ensforde compressed around .100

Boolit Buddy
    What makes you think that barrel sight and a blade front is a short range sight? An elk at 400 yards is a gimme with a barrel buckhorn sight if you understand how to use it. I have taken a number of animals in Africa in the 300 to 550 yard envelope with both my 45-70 and my 45-110 Shilohs using paper patched bullets and black powder and barrel sights. And, I have it on DVD.
    Last edited by sharpsguy; 05-05-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    Using the equipment at a set distance = shooter. Using the equipment and being able to adjust equipment for a guesstimated distance on the fly = a Rifleman

Banned

key considerations - what cartridge is it chambered for and what's the asking price?

like most things in life, guns and cartridges are all personally subjective. i could care less whether it does or doesn't have a rear barrel sight, as long as it'll take a tang and front set of bptr/bpcr sights. if it does have barrel sight, i'll either leave it or swap it for a blank. i'm also not a fan of straight stocks, but a pistol grip could relatively easily be added. and a shotgun stock, not a crescent.

but as it is, beautiful gun for sure. if the cartridge and price were both right for me, and the bore and chamber looked good, even i'd consider buying it.

Boolit Grand Master

A hand stop type pistol grip can be added making a ersto pistol grip with the rear tang screw. I believe C Sharps lists these as an option, made from ebony or other hard dense wood. But to add a actual pistol grip stocks the tangs need to be bent to the correct shape also a tricky job.

Oh man! You lucky dog! She's a beauty!

Barrel sights are just fine if you have good eyes. But I've found them to be less than adequate at nearly 70 years old, and even for hunting I use my tang sights. I do put a larger aperture opening in my tang sights when hunting with them, but they work extremely well for me. On guns that have a rear dovetail, I keep the buckhorn on for closer shooting, so I don't have to adjust my tang sight for 125 yds. or less.
    But I probably wouldn't be shooting game at 350 plus yds. even with my tang sighted guns. I stick to 150 yds. or less, just because I feel comfortable estimating distance at 150 yds. or less.

Boolit Master
    I have the same exact rifle and the first thing I did was remove the barrel sight. I have no BPCRS with barrel sights and the Pedersoli Billy Dixon is the only one with a dovetail. The rest do not have a dovetail.
    EDG