Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: MEC 650 or Dillon 900

Boolit Buddy

MEC 650 or Dillon 900

I have been using the mec for years. Bought a Dillon 650 for pistol ammo. Started thinking about a Dillon 900 for shotgun. Does anybody have pros or cons about the Dillon? All input is appreciated

Fox
    Last edited by shootinfox2; 05-05-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Content

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to admit I’d never thought of Dillon for shotgun shells... although it does seem they make a shot shell press. To me, the MEC is such an easy pick I haven’t bothered to look any farther. Now I guess I’ll have to watch this thread to see whether I’ve been wrong all this time!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    My mec is not a grabber. I shoot different shotguns, so resizing the base is needed. An extra step and off press adds time. I have been considering upgrading for a while. Jist looking for good or bad.

I have a couple 366’s kind of always wanted the 900 but they take care of me.

Your not really comparing apples to apples with the 650 vs 900 but they are not in the same price range either. The 366 would be a closer comparison because both it and the Dillon resize and the 650N does not.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 650. Wanted to upgrade. Looking for info on the 900.

Boolit Buddy
    There are a some opinions from shotgunners on the net on different Forums re; the Dillon.
    Here's a link to one:
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=280632

Some searching will get you some others.
    I only know of one person using the Dillon and he has no complaints about it at all.
    I use a MEC 9000 and like it (12ga). Price was a consideration in my choice.

For low volume shooting in 20ga w/a SxS, a used Mec SizeMaster fit in nice. A Mec 600Jr single stage takes care of .410 for me.
    But that single stage act is a real grind after using that Progressive!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks

I have the MEC 9000GN, and upgraded it to the electric motor. Since I really don't like loading shotgun shells, I put it off until I'm about out, and then dedicate a couple of days to just shotgun loading. My usual batch is 3,000 rounds, so the electric driven machine really helps. When it was manual, my shoulder would be killing me by the end of the day, and now it doesn't. I did have to buy the larger pads for the two push buttons for the motor, though. My finger tips would get sore after about 500 rounds, but with the larger buttons, they don't.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a Dillon 900. I would not recommend it. I sold it after less than 1000 rounds loaded.

The 650 is too slow for my needs but may meet yours. Check if it resizes as I recall it does not.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I would look at a used Ponsness Warren. Check out Fleabay.

Boolit Master

The MEC 9000 is a great machine at that price point. I loaded high volumes on three (12, 20 and 28) for about 5 years until I tried a PW. Needless to say, I rock a Spolar in all gauges now with a hydrolic setup. Posness-Warren can be found reasonable on the used market.

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure I saw a used Dillon shotshell press sitting on the floor of Graf's in St. Charles. Cant be certain, but it was by the used reloading tool rack in the back. Maybe call them on Monday. They have always been helpful with my questions and research before I buy anything.

Boolit Master
    A member had a Hornady 366 auto advance listed a couple days ago for 225.00 .

Boolit Mold
    I have had Pacific and MEC and a Ponsness Warren and now use a Dillon SL900. I am very happy with the Dillon and would not go back.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    MEC 9000G in 12 and 20, no need seen to upgrade to that big buck SL900!.............. however, i'd like to try one!!! but, for now, i'll just stick with red!!! just my .02.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!