Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new (to me) 1903 Springfield rifle ...

Smile My new (to me) 1903 Springfield rifle ...

Well, after watching and searching for about the past 3 years I finally found myself a 1903 Springfield .30-06 with a decent barrel at a price I could afford! It'll mostly be used for shooting boolits, but will see the odd jacketed round mostly for comparison.

It's wearing a 1929 dated barrel which is "star" stamped at the muzzle which mates up with the serial number for year of mfg. It has been used for target shooting and includes a Redfield aperture target rear sight, a Lyman 17A front sight, and a military target style sling. The bore looks perfect after soaking in Hoppes #9 for the past few days. It is NOT stamped "NM" on the trigger guard so I really don't believe this rifle to be a true "National Match" Springfield, but I'm not worried about that. I just wanted a decent 1903 with a really good barrel for some target shooting and this one definitely fills the bill.

Was out to see a gunsmith buddy of mine today and he even donated 16 rounds of 1962 LC Match .30-06 ammo for initial testing! Can't wait to get it up to our local range and get a few rounds through it ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Nice. Do let us know how it works out. I like the Lyman peep sight that was added to it too.

That looks fabulous. Let us know how it feeds from those Garand clips LOL. I hardly ever see a Springfield for sale around here except the odd O3A3 sporterized one. Great score, Reverend!

Congratulations on your 1903. With those really great sights and a good bore you should be in for some good shooting. The ammo is probably corrosive, so clean accordingly!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking Match M1903.

Back in that time period star gauged barrels and other parts could be readily bought from Springfield Armory through DCM. Complete barreled actions and match rifles could also be purchased. Many "match" M1903s were made by ordering parts and installing them on standard M1903. A SA match M1903 usually had some different parts than are shown. Not that it matters if the rifle is a shooter, a check of the action serial number to manufacture dates can quickly tell if that barrel may be a replacement.

Again, nice rifle.....very nice actually and I love those sights.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Here is some data on Nation Match 1903's. There were no Remington M1903 National Match rifles. All M1903 National Match Rifles were built at Springfield, with the exception of one year (1919?) and possibly a partial year's production that were made at Rock Island. All National Match barrels were star-gauged, but they were unmarked until after 1921 (?), when the star gauge mark was applied on the muzzle, and the star gauge record number was stamped on the barrel under the stock or handguard. The record number was an alpha character followed by four digits, and should not be confused with the steel lot code number. All barrels with star gauge markings are not "national match" barrels, however. The barrels were available for purchase from the DCM as a separate part, and could be installed on any model of M1903. Thus, a star-gauged and marked barrel on a M1903 is not a guarantee that the rifle is a National Match rifle. Only DCM paperwork or a SRS data base entry can verify that.

Some characteristics:

1) Look at the muzzle crown at the 6 o'clock position - there should be an "asterisk" stamp present. If so, look at what Bob described up above.

2) The bolt should be lightly etched on the bolt "body" with the serial number of the rifle.

3) The bolt, follower "rib" and receway should be polished.

4) The stock should have the serial number stamped on the bottom of the butt between the rear of the trigger guard and buttplate.

This is not to discredit your rifle and you stated yourself you didn't believe it to be an original National Match. That does matter though as you have a really nice rifle and it does indeed have a National Match barrel.

Have fun shooting it and do tell us how it shoots!

I have that same Redfield rear sight on my Norwegian Krag that I shoot clay pigeons with at 100 yards. Love that sight and the Lyman brother on my US Krag. Both were sporterized and I got them for shooting not collecting. I got 3,800 Swede blanks for a song and have filled a 5 gal bucket with empties in the past year with about 1,600 left to load. Off to the recycler this week to get some walking about money.

Lake City would have still been using corrosive primers as late as 1962? Wow ... that really surprises me. I thought they stopped using corrosive primers in the 1950's ...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Congratulations on your 1903. With those really great sights and a good bore you should be in for some good shooting. The ammo is probably corrosive, so clean accordingly!

Just went digging online about corrosive primers in US mfg military ammo and found this ... (but it doesn't mention Match ammo, just "ball" and "AP").

LAKE CITY ARSENAL:
    Type: .30
    -
    '06 Ball
    Lot Number: 13700
    Date: June 1951
    First SAFE Headstamp: LC 52
    Type: .30
    -
    '06 AP
    Lot Number: 13158
    Date: April 1952
    First SAFE Headstamp: LC 53

Also found this so it looks like it is not corrosive ...

"None of the Cal .30 (30-06) Match T291 and M72 was loaded with corrosive primers. So, anything with a headstamp of 1957 or later is OK."

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Nice rifle Rev. !! Up until a little while ago I had a national match butplate that would have fit that ......... but it was fitted to another rifle . Good shooting with your new prize !!

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stanley; 05-05-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Finally dug these two out today too. They've been part of my shooting books library for 40 years now. E.C. Crossman on the Springfield and on Military Rifle Shooting. Both first editions ... 1932.

Also found this info online explaining the "SADAL" cartouche stamped on the stock ...

SADAL was the inspection stamp of Daniel A Leary, who worked at Springfield Armory from about World War I until the mid-1930s. He had three stamps from different eras - DAL= WWI to @1931; SADAL @ 1931-33; SA/DAL, 1933 to retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Nice. Do let us know how it works out. I like the Lyman peep sight that was added to it too.
    The sight is a Redfield and not a Lyman
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    That's a great example of a 03 and I really like that Redfield sight !

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    That's a great example of a 03 and I really like that Redfield sight !
    I like the entire rifle! (And I'm absolutely tickled that I finally found exactly what I was looking for in one of these 1903's after years of searching high and low ...)

Still need to slug the bore and see what I already have on hand in suitable boolits to try in it. I'm going to try and get it up to my local range one day next week if possible!

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't even bother slugging a star gauged M1903 barrel. I think you'll find cast bullets sized .310/.311 will be the best. My M1903A1 National Match Type II (Original was on 'A3 action, I built mine on a DHT '03 action) ) is the most accurate with cast bullets using the 311466 and the 30 XCB with the 311299 not far behind.

Attachment 220010

Here is the 30 XCB (2 sighters, 10 for record) over 20 gr 2400 w/Dacron filler at 100 yards on 100 yard reduced SR-1 target.

Attachment 220011

It also shoots M72 into 1 - 1 1/4 moa and 175 MKs over 49 gr Varget into sub moa.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Nice rifle and nice group!

Not sure if I have the Lyman 311466 or not ... I'll have to go and look through my moulds and check. I do have a 311299 in double cavity so I can always start there. I have a 311284 that a friend has loaned me to try in my '95 Winchester in .30-40 Krag and that might be worth trying too? I have both 2400 and Varget on hand (and many other powders of course) ... might not have any 175 MKs on hand, but I'm sure I have some 168 HPBT Match in both Sierra and Hornady that I could try.

I just ordered a new Labradar chronograph to replace my ancient Oehler model 33 and it will be interesting to see what some of these loads generate for velocities since it will be much faster and easier to set up on range days so I'll use it more often. With some of my other rifles I've found that their accuracy loads are often in the same velocity range regardless of the various components used.

I'll keep you posted as things progress with my Springfield ...

Boolit Grand Master

Looking forward to your results.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast