WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: CLOSED - MIHEC 300 Blackout 311-230 GRN hollow point 4C HP and 6C Solid

Miha, did you ever test this bullet for expansion with longer pins? Is it possible to buy longer pins from you? Sure would like to see this thing work.

Vendor Sponsor

JimP
    I too would like to see longer pins.. my mold casts perfectly. Chambers will in my gun. Like you I am slightly disappointed in the HP performance at 100-1050 FPS and I am shooting pure lead with 2 % HSB (for the tiny bit of copper and of course the tin)
    I would even be willing to pay a few bucks shipping to end up will a killer do all mold
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

I was thinking the same thing! I happen to own the 311-410 mold MiHa made with long pins. I was hoping I could swap them in to this mold but they won't fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200204-160923_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	256093

This will give you an idea of what longer pins would look like. I would GLADLY pay for longer pins.

Name:	Screenshot_20200204-160808_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	256092

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Miha, did you ever test this bullet for expansion with longer pins? Is it possible to buy longer pins from you? Sure would like to see this thing work.
    Have you tried using a softer alloy? You are trying to get expansion out of a copper enriched 2% antimony ternary alloy at 1000fps.
    I shoot alloy with half that much antimony and tin at 2500fps out of a 308.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master
    I’d be in for a group buy just for long pins.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by drfroglegs View Post
    I was thinking the same thing! I happen to own the 311-410 mold MiHa made with long pins. I was hoping I could swap them in to this mold but they won't fit.

Name:	Screenshot_20200204-160923_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	256093

This will give you an idea of what longer pins would look like. I would GLADLY pay for longer pins.

Name:	Screenshot_20200204-160808_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	256092
    Standing them up in water to anneal just what's out of the water with a propane torch.

Vendor Sponsor

I will see what I can do about longer pins.... Diameter of the pin can not be larger!!!!! (at the nose)
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Vendor Sponsor

MiHec that would be greatly appreciated
    Understand the opening dia will have to be the same dia
    Longer pins like MostlyonPaper's pic would be wonderful.

Vendor Sponsor

Attachment 256113
    Shot this about 20 minutes ago.
    Temp about 56 degrees and a 7 to 10 mph wind gusts as storm front approches

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    I will see what I can do about longer pins.... Diameter of the pin can not be larger!!!!! (at the nose)
    Appreciate it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    That sounds great! I don't think the diameter needs to increase. Based on the ballistic gel results Posted previously it looks like it's expanding perfectly, just reaches the bottom of the HP before it has expanded enough. I honestly think deeper HP pins will make a world of difference!

Quote Originally Posted by glockky View Post
    Have you tried using a softer alloy? You are trying to get expansion out of a copper enriched 2% antimony ternary alloy at 1000fps.
    I shoot alloy with half that much antimony and tin at 2500fps out of a 308.
    Is that a 1 1/4" 230 grain bullet in a 1:7 twist barrel, with powders as fast as AA#9? Apples/oranges. But to answer your question, no, I haven't. This is the softest alloy I have, and what I have found to work well in heavy 300 BLK subs. The copper is happenstance, and I can't see that it does anything.
    Last edited by JimP; 02-05-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Attachment 256113
    Shot this about 20 minutes ago.
    Temp about 56 degrees and a 7 to 10 mph wind gusts as storm front approches
    Sweet! Smoke gives me some hope that I can get my Black Out functioning and shooting well.
    I didn't get in on the group buy but did order lube groove HP version off his website last night. I would also be in for longer pins.

Vendor Sponsor

F_L I tryed about 5 different groups varying seating depth over the last several days. This was by far the best.
    Rain for the next 2 days. Then Sausage making for another 2.
    It will be next week before I have time and hopefully good weather to do several confirming groups

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    F_L I tryed about 5 different groups varying seating depth over the last several days. This was by far the best.
    Rain for the next 2 days. Then Sausage making for another 2.
    It will be next week before I have time and hopefully good weather to do several confirming groups
    Good job and keep us posted on your results.
    I recently decided to go down the NFA rabbit hole and was looking through this thread interested in a heavy sub. MiHec's website had a few 311-235 HP molds available with lube grooves. NLG is my preference but everything I shoot now is powder coated lube grooved anyway. Placed the order last night. This morning I get an email from MiHec saying it's shipped, another one from DHL saying I should have it by Friday. Props to MiHec for fast service.

Vendor Sponsor

Biggest hints i can give is to confirm that your barret will have 308 feed ramps not M4 or 223 and pistol length gas system if shooting mostly heavy subsonics. Last 1-7 twist

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Butcher View Post
    I appreciate all the help offered on this mihec 311-230-hp mold. To help with anyone else having purchased or plans to purchase this mold, I’ll explain again the issue.

This is what I would consider a bore aligning/riding hybrid style design. If you can pass an object measuring .301 all the way through your thirty caliber of choice barrel without any restrictions, this might be the mold for you.

If you can NOT pass a .301 diameter object (round ball, boolit, go no go pin etc) this may make your chambering difficult to impossible. As is my case. My barrel is not .300 but a bit shy at .2995 from the soft lead pound cast I made just directly in front of the lands. There is considerable interference between the boolit and bore.

There were a total of two drawing/sales threads for this mold. I was unaware of the first until research on google led me to the first run that fell through. There was considerable information in that first thread, first page, that would have been helpful to us 300 BO guys. This information was questioned and answered about a .301 nose positioning front end band not present on most boolits. It’s not as clear in the second group buy thread, and there was no detailed drawing for the projectile.

I have no problem feeding into, or out of the magazine. I’m having issues of chambering the projectile because my bore is .2995 and the bullet is .301. I’m using range scrap, yes unknown content, but surely softer than wheel weights, but not soft enough to make up for the .0015 +- interference.

I have requested to return this mold to Miha, without instructions to do so. I have contacted NOE since being unable to reach Miha, to order some nose sizing equipment. I have also requested NOE to re-run the hollow point 240 ish grain mold as well.

Here is where we come to the crux of this long rant. I appreciate all of the help you guys are giving me on my mold. I’m aware that I may need to adjust my feed ramps on my barrel extension if I choose to use the NOE 247 or 242 HP (not sure of exact weight) Al let me know right up front that some have had trouble feeding that hollow point. Well, after comparing the two end results, I’m willing to take the gamble, as Al said he wouldn’t mind doing a run of those molds again.

The information above will help me when I decide to contour the feed ramps. My rifle will feed the 230 hollow point without any nose deformation, but I have been told there may be issues with the NOE feeding before he ever sold it to me.

I’m going to wait on the NOE nose sizers before I make any final opinion of this group buy. But as for now it’s a sticky little bugger that needs a squeezing to get it to behave!

Mark
    You might want to consider buying a 30 caliber throating reamer and pushing the chamber leade forward a bit. I did this to one of my 10.5 barrels that wouldn’t chamber hardly anything and that fixed it. Actually, don’t buy one: if you want to try it just email or PM me and I’ll loan you my reamer.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’d be in for a group buy just for long pins.
    Me too.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Bub
    Elkins45, that’s a generous offer! I’m going to have to decline as I have a nitrided barrel and am pretty sure it would ruin a reamer. The barrel has chambered the 312 160 2r; 312 230 5r; and 311299 without a hitch. My barrel won’t chamber this bullet as dropped from the mold. It’s stopping in the lands, not the throat. I would have to theoretically lengthen the throat plus/minus 1/2” or seat it a half inch deeper. It’s hanging up well past the throat and on into the barrel.

I’m always impressed with how helpful folks are around here. Thanks again guys.

Mark

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Butcher View Post
    Elkins45, that’s a generous offer! I’m going to have to decline as I have a nitrided barrel and am pretty sure it would ruin a reamer. The barrel has chambered the 312 160 2r; 312 230 5r; and 311299 without a hitch. My barrel won’t chamber this bullet as dropped from the mold. It’s stopping in the lands, not the throat. I would have to theoretically lengthen the throat plus/minus 1/2” or seat it a half inch deeper. It’s hanging up well past the throat and on into the barrel.

I’m always impressed with how helpful folks are around here. Thanks again guys.

Mark
    I have what might be a stupid question, but im going to ask anyways...

Why can't we just seat these deeper to avoid the throats issues? I have the NOE "taco" mold and I originally had some issues with it hitting the lands. I just seated it more and now it shoots fine.

Were dealing with 10gr of powder, it takes up hardly any space. Even less if it's slightly compresses. It's not like we're anywhere near dangerous pressure levels.

Am I over simplifying things here?

Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to cast any yet, I've got an 8mo old that's constantly sick and takes up all my time... Just trying to reason through any issues I might have.

Here's how deep I have to seat the taco mold to cycle fine. Haven't seen any signs of pressure and it cycles just fine.

Name:	20200205_215443.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	256144
    Last edited by drfroglegs; 02-05-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drfroglegs View Post
    I have what might be a stupid question, but im going to ask anyways...

Why can't we just seat these deeper to avoid the throats issues? ...
    Not stupid at all. But the issue is that this bullet doesn't have the long straight shank like the taco. If you seated it deep enough, there would be nothing for the case neck to hold on to.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast