MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: CLOSED - MIHEC 300 Blackout 311-230 GRN hollow point 4C HP and 6C Solid

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Good idea. I'll try to get that done in the next few days if someone doesn't beat me to it.
    Tried drilling one out. A lot harder then I thought it would be. Got a little deeper but not much. Fired it and one out of the mold and did get a little more expansion on the one I made a little deeper but of course got less penetration. Fired into water soaked paper. Longer pins would be great and I would be in for some also but I think for hunting the smaller pins would still work well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	257316
    This is what I'm talking about. I did not enlarge the opening, but drilled .09" diameter ~0.4" deep. Maybe not a direct comparison because the hollow point was not tapered, but should give an idea of what longer pins would do.

This bullet was cast from the 5% tin alloy; all conditions were the same as the other two shots posted earlier. This one expanded to more than double caliber at 0.65". Penetration was (obviously) less at 18" as opposed to 24" and 26" of the other two.

Vendor Sponsor

yes Sir thats what I am looking for
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

This is what I'm talking about. I did not enlarge the opening, but drilled .09" diameter ~0.4" deep. Maybe not a direct comparison because the hollow point was not tapered, but should give an idea of what longer pins would do.

This bullet was cast from the 5% tin alloy; all conditions were the same as the other two shots posted earlier. This one expanded to more than double caliber at 0.65". Penetration was (obviously) less at 18" as opposed to 24" and 26" of the other two.
    This is exactly what I'm looking for as well. 18" penetration is about perfect for the size deer I'm hunting with this round.

Mihec, are you still interested in making some longer pins? If so, let me know when and how I can buy some. Thanks everyone for the hard work!

Boolit Master

I would like to have some new pins if they will let me get results like this.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Bub
    Would be in for buying longer pins as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    I will see what I can do about longer pins.... Diameter of the pin can not be larger!!!!! (at the nose)
    Any progress on this front? Sure would appreciate it.

Boolit Mold

So, I have a few questions for those of you that are more experienced then I am. 1) this is my first bore rider, what is the best sizing method. I have NOE push through sizing die and can size the base of the bullits to 309 - 310 but I am confused as to the purpose of nose sizing the nose. If you were to size it smaller then the base would also be sized smaller. That may sound really dumb, and I am probably missing something but... Thanks!

When you nose size you only push the nose portion into the die then push it back out from the top.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    I will see what I can do about longer pins.... Diameter of the pin can not be larger!!!!! (at the nose)
    Miha,
    What would the cost be on a longer set of pins?
    Thanks.
    7.62 NATO, It's kinda like 5.56 NATO, but for men...

I would like longer pins too. Please let us know if they become available for purchase.
    If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode...it's probably not worth shooting.

Few info for 311-235 AAC BLK users. As you know I use them in my 300 BLK bolt action.

My friend wanted a subsonic load for his Sako A7 in 308 Win and after trying few weights and designs he choose that 223grs NLG HP bullet with GC installed.
    Our alloy is 20:1 and it expands enough and he already dropped two young boars (DRT) with it and he couldn’t be happier. His hunting distances are 30-60m, max 75m so he wanted something that would be useful. Hunting them from high stand.

He was checking the trajectory from 30m - 60m today and he measured velocity. His results from field position using: Norma cases, CCI200 primer, seated to crimp groove, gentle crimp. Temp was +3 degrees Celsius, windy.

9 grs of TrailBoss
    305 m/s (1000fps)

9,5 grs TrailBoss
    320 m/s. (1050fps)

Trajectory
    30m +2cm
    40m +3,5cm
    50m +3,5cm
    60m +1cm

The bullet before PC

After, then sized to .3104”

He will repeat his test tomorrow. Will report if something new.

Vendor Sponsor

Thats some pretty bullets there.
    Thanks for sharing all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Thats some pretty bullets there.
    Thanks for sharing all the info.
    Your CarolinaBlue PC makes them pretty. Still going strong after 4years since you shipped it to me.

Vendor Sponsor

Keep the powder dry and cool and it will last a long long time as you just proved
    let it suck moisture and its not too good

Boolit Bub
    All, need some advice as a new caster. I'm having a heck of a time getting these to feed in my 300BLK. I'm casting them with straight soft lead as I'll only be shooting them subsonic and was looking for expansion. The rounds seem to be hanging up on the feed ramp. I'm guessing I just have too soft of an alloy but would like to get your confirmation. It also seems that my barrel might have an extremely short throat as I had to push these way down past the crimp groove to get the bolt to go all the way home and was getting land/groove marks until I was seating them 2.05 COL which was (not surprisingly) a good bit shorter than my 220 SMK's. Thanks for any input!

Quote Originally Posted by Wansingct View Post
    All, need some advice as a new caster. I'm having a heck of a time getting these to feed in my 300BLK. I'm casting them with straight soft lead as I'll only be shooting them subsonic and was looking for expansion. The rounds seem to be hanging up on the feed ramp. I'm guessing I just have too soft of an alloy but would like to get your confirmation. It also seems that my barrel might have an extremely short throat as I had to push these way down past the crimp groove to get the bolt to go all the way home and was getting land/groove marks until I was seating them 2.05 COL which was (not surprisingly) a good bit shorter than my 220 SMK's. Thanks for any input!
    Not a short throat, but an either/or of slightly smaller bore diameter and/or large nose diameter. Sounds like you need to nose size the bullets (or go easy on the powder coat) to be able to seat them longer. Seating longer should help with feeding. You may need to polish and/or open up your feed ramp a bit. Lots of BLK barrels have ramps designed for .22 caliber bullets.
    Last edited by JimP; 03-29-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I'm gonna go ahead and throw my name in the hat for some longer pins as well. Not sure where it stands with all that's going on around the world but just wanted to keep this on the back burner.

Boolit Bub
    Not a short throat, but an either/or of slightly smaller bore diameter and/or large nose diameter. Sounds like you need to nose size the bullets (or go easy on the powder coat) to be able to seat them longer. Seating longer should help with feeding. You may need to polish and/or open up your feed ramp a bit. Lots of BLK barrels have ramps designed for .22 caliber bullets.
    I've been researching opening up the feed ramps and definitely agree that's probably part of the feeding problem. I'm also trying some mag modifications, but the bigger problem is actual chambering. I had to seat these to 2.03 OAL to chamber fully in my gun. Has anyone else had to seat these bullets that deeply? There's a chance I may not have to go quite that short, but that puts the ogive the same as my 220 SMK load and then it fed like a champ in my ar.

By "chamber fully" I mean that when seated to the crimp groove, the bolt could not go all the way home. Acted like a shallow throat which seems to be confirmed by the shorter OAL working like a champ. The bullets are dropping at .310 at the base and I'm not PC'ing (yet anyways) as they will only be for subs and I figured I'd try them out uncoated for 20 rounds or so first.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wansingct View Post
    I've been researching opening up the feed ramps and definitely agree that's probably part of the feeding problem. I'm also trying some mag modifications, but the bigger problem is actual chambering. I had to seat these to 2.03 OAL to chamber fully in my gun. Has anyone else had to seat these bullets that deeply? There's a chance I may not have to go quite that short, but that puts the ogive the same as my 220 SMK load and then it fed like a champ in my ar.

By "chamber fully" I mean that when seated to the crimp groove, the bolt could not go all the way home. Acted like a shallow throat which seems to be confirmed by the shorter OAL working like a champ. The bullets are dropping at .310 at the base and I'm not PC'ing (yet anyways) as they will only be for subs and I figured I'd try them out uncoated for 20 rounds or so first.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    No, it's not a short throat. This is a bore rider bullet, which means that throat or no throat, the nose of the bullet shouldn't stop the round from chambering. In fact the bullet should be well into the rifling when you chamber it, but should be of sufficiently small diameter that it fits. If the nose diameter is much over .300", you may need to size it smaller. Of course if you're using dead soft lead and not opening up the case neck enough (or trying to seat and crimp in one operation), it's possible you're expanding the nose a bit when seating the bullet. Whatever the reason, you have a mismatch between the nose diameter of the bullet and the bore of your rifle, and seating short isn't the answer.

Check out the pic below of a chamber cast. See how far the bullet would be into the rifling? It chambers just fine at that length.

Name:	bull.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	338.7 KB 
ID:	259460

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132 LastLast