Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Hollywood single stage press

Boolit Bub

Hollywood single stage press

I bought an old Hollywood single stage press at a gun shop today. This thing is a tank. I can't find a whole lot about them on the internet. I ordered a conversion for standard shell holders. I can find a few pics of similer ones. This one has a second threaded whole, threaded for a die (?) Behind the one that lines up with the shell holder. Anybody know what it's for? Anything else y'all could tell me about this press would be appreciated. Thanks.

Banned
    Doghunter that is the Hollywood Senior press, one of the later, pre 1959 presses. They were redesigned after that. The curious extra threaded hole results from the way they are machined, the cast steel frames are solid, one piece. There is a small hole where it was mounted in the lathe. Rather than leave the odd hole they decided to drill and tap it for what ever use you desire.
    Do a search of the archives here on castboolits, there is a long ton of information about Hollywood presses.
    Yes, they do have a sort of cult like following that drives prices way up.
    As for instruction booklets, there are none. They didn't print actual operating instructions.

Ken

Like Ken says, that second hole in the Senior will accept a die. I keep a die in mine just to keep junk from finding it's way down inside the press. It wouldn't hurt anything, but I still don't want "stuff" down inside there.

Did you get the primer rods with your press? They made a small primer and a large primer rod. If you don't have them, they are available.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks fellas. I didn't get the priming rods. I see them on ebay, but I'm not too worried about it as I have always used a hand primer. I did order the universal shell holder adapter. Though I'm sure this one could be restored, it is not in collector condition. I think I'm just goung to clean and relube it and bolt it down and roll on. Its surprising to me how smooth it is, even though it's a little dirty and the lube on it now is a little sticky. I didn't think I could do wrong for 50 bucks.

Boolit Master

There are threads here and on the Firearms Forum on how to safely restore the press.

Here is my Senior. It did not look this good when I got it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HollywoodSenior.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	219866
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

doghunter,

You stole that press for $50.00. I paid $25.00 for my original used Hollywood Senior in 1963, but that included a set of Hollywood .30-06 dies, the shell holder and large priming rod. And I was a college student at the time, making $1.25 an hour at a part time job....... My larger Senior was ten times that about 5 years ago, but was still a good deal.

Here's my large Senior:

Once you clean it up, RemOil makes a good lubricant for the column. I used it before I switched to Machine Gunner's Lube from Tactical Springs, LLC, but it's a good lube for that purpose, much like sewing machine oil. A thick lube will cause it to be sluggish, but the thin RemOil works great on it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, that does help. I just gave the fella what he asked for it. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Boolit Master
    GONRA has 2 "single stage Hollywood presses". Both purchased brand new from Hollywood.
    One from 1958 that has always been my "main reloading press".
    Other taller, with reinforcing bar in front, from 1975 (can't remember).

These are dynamite presses guys. If you get one , keep it / use it.....