Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersPBcastco
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: The acme firing pin company

The acme firing pin company

<br>
    <br>
    So one of my buddies comes to me with these 2 firing pins, and says to me, &quot;these are out of some hardware store brand side by side .410 shotgun, probably made in the 20&apos;s and I have owned it for the last 60 years,&nbsp; and for 50 of those 60 years the one firing pin has been broken......can you machine me up a pair of pins?&quot;<br>
    <br>
    Out to the shop I went, grabbed a couple shoulder bolts, there good steel, hardened,&nbsp; but machinable,&nbsp; and went to work.....<br>
    <br>
    After I got done with this project, he then has the nerve to try to pay me......I told him &quot;you just don&apos;t do friends that way&quot; ok fine he says, and leaves a happy man.....came home from work the next day and found a N.O.S.&nbsp; bolt for my 03A3 in my mail box......<br>
    <br>
    What ya think of my handy work?

Boolit Bub

Cool nice work

can you tell us about your lath ?

Good job, lots of old guns that just need a little part or two in order to function again.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBronco View Post
    can you tell us about your lath ?

My lathe is Southbend 10K (light ten) made in 1967, lived it's whole life in the tool room at the lathe works, 1hp 110vt motor, factory cabinet with underdrive, this is a nice tool room machine, you can take big "hog cuts" with or "dust off" a few thou as well, I prefer a belt drive small machine for my fussy work, you do not transfer the gear train vibrations thru the spindle to the work and there much quieter then a large machine, in fact you can barely hear my lathe running........this lathe is identical to the machine I cut my teeth on when I started to learn to be a tool maker (30 plus years ago) ........this machine came to me fully tooled , 3 jaw, 4 jaw, face plate, centers, steady rest,follow rest, collets and draw bar plus metric threading change gears.....I feel very blessed to have such a nice machine

Aaron

Boolit Master

Nice work, and lathe. Helped out many a friend, guns and other handy work especially boats. Came home many a day with a bucket of lobster on the porch.
    Them guys are are always welcome.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done! By making him a pair of good ones so he has a spare, you have probably insured he will never have one break on him. The only time I tend to have a firing pin break is at a match when I have no spare... if I’m carrying a spare in my gun box, firing pins seem to morph into unbreakable super pins. Must be some corollary to Murphy’s Law, I guess.

I admire your attitude toward doing a favor for a friend as well. If the recipient is “one of the good guys” it will at least give you a warm fuzzy, and frequently will come back to reward you in ways you least expect. Sounds like a “Win-Win” to me!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Hardware store gun is most likely a Crescent, they made them in your store name for a small to medium order.

Boolit Buddy
    ...and here I thought this would have been about the same supplier Wiley Coyote used!

Boolit Master

You done well.

Moderator Emeritus

Great work! There's something especially satisfying about taking an old gun that's trash, and making it usable and functional again! It's the next best thing to making your own gun.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    ...and here I thought this would have been about the same supplier Wiley Coyote used!
    Had the same thought. lol

Nice job on the pins.