Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Browning HP questions??

Boolit Man

Browning HP questions??

Hey everyone, always been a revolver guy, but always wanted a browning hi power and picked up a NIB one that came through our shop from 1987, though it appears to be a MKIII model. Put some altamont grips on it and absolutely love it. I have some questions though about the recoil spring, and the guide rod.

I have shot 100 rounds through the gun of 115 blazer brass, but did notice before i shot it a small divot/ contact area on the the frame and now noticed that it matches up to the underside of the guide rod. Should I be concerned or is this pretty normal for BHP?

My other question is about recoil springs, should they be aligned correctly, I ordered a wilson 18.5# spring and it was a bear to install, possibly kinked? My standard 17# spring isn't perfectly centered.

Underside of guide rod

Frame contact area

recoil spring 18.5#

Some miscellaneous photos of the gun.

thank you in advance

Adam

I can't help you out with your HP questions, sorry.

I had a jones for a HP last year, but couldn't find one at a price I could afford - so I bought this Charles Daly clone made by FEG @ an LGS for under $300:

All "Browning" parts fit mine, so I bought aftermarket HP grip panels & a couple of HP magazines.

I've shot about 600 rounds of assorted commercial ammo in it so far, w/o any issues - it even shoots nice & close to the POA.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Just checked my mid 70's HP.......no divot or apparent wear marks on the frame, after thousands of rounds, both cast and jacketed. I have been the original owner. The spring has a slight cant, but IMO, it's because the end of the spring isn't exactly cut flush......nature of the beast. I haven't found the need to change the original weight spring, especially to a heavier one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02390.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	219865

Winelover

I would say check it again after several hundred more rounds. The Hi Power has always been on my want list; I guess I should trade a couple of peasant 9mm's for the King! That one is beautiful.

Boolit Master
    Hi slips73, looks like a nice pistol from here! Unsure on the mark you posted, will check mine later today to see if it shows the same.

It could be from wear, or possibly the 18.5 lb recoil spring could be the cause? I mention it only as the factory spec spring for the HP is 17lbs, as per Wolff springs literature:

https://www.gunsprings.com/BROWNING/...1/mID3/dID5#41

Will check back later.

Mine doesn't have the divot, slips. And the recoil spring is has a slight kink, but not as much as does yours. However, I'm not the original owner, so I can't say that the spring is stock. The guide rod does show a little wear like does yours. Ultimately, if it shoots well, likely its a non-issue.

Attachment 219869

Boolit Master

that is not a normal mark.

Boolit Master
    The mark on the guide rod may indicate that the rod itself varies in spec from the norm. A new rod might not show this mark. Having owned and shot these pistols for decades, I say that there is no cause for concern. Browning has an outstanding service dept staffed with techs who will talk with customers. The op might consult them. I think that he has a fine pistol.

Banned

Many think that a very heavy recoil spring helps protect the pistol by dampening the recoil, but neglect to know that the pistol pays the price for the forward velocity and energy of the slide going back into battery by the now more powerful recoil spring beating the pistol to death.

I'll pull down my HP and check that area on mine and get back to you.

VZ

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Many think that a very heavy recoil spring helps protect the pistol by dampening the recoil, but neglect to know that the pistol pays the price for the forward velocity and energy of the slide going back into battery by the now more powerful recoil spring beating the pistol to death.

I'll pull down my HP and check that area on mine and get back to you.

VZ
    Thats a good point but wouldnt the drag caused by the slide picking up the ammo and sliding it forward into battery negate that? Atleast with only a mildly overpowered spring (like a 17# vs 18#) spring?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slips73 View Post
    Thats a good point but wouldnt the drag caused by the slide picking up the ammo and sliding it forward into battery negate that? Atleast with only a mildly overpowered spring (like a 17# vs 18#) spring?
    The stripping of a round from the magazine impedes the slide's forward motion no matter what the weight of the recoil spring. I know heavy springs on the 1911 slams that slide shut pretty hard even stripping a round from the magazine.

Boolit Man
    that makes sense @vzerone, as far as the mark on my frame/ guide rod I put some cold blue on it so ill see if I get that wear mark again. I haven't shot it yet with the 18.5# spring but I did notice the mark when I purchased the gun, it was NIB original wrappings and such, but obviously had been handled. I checked out a customers HI-Power today from the 60's and noted the same mark but far more minute.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slips73 View Post
    that makes sense @vzerone, as far as the mark on my frame/ guide rod I put some cold blue on it so ill see if I get that wear mark again. I haven't shot it yet with the 18.5# spring but I did notice the mark when I purchased the gun, it was NIB original wrappings and such, but obviously had been handled. I checked out a customers HI-Power today from the 60's and noted the same mark but far more minute.
    I just took my HP down and there isn't any marks on mine at all and I've had this pistol since the early 80's.

VZ