WidenersRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaGraf & Sons
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How Many Sticks???

  1. #1

    How Many Sticks???

    Just wondering if anyone knows how many sticks (1" dia x 4" long) of lube one gets when they make a batch of Ben's Red. I know it depends on "How big is your batch?". The batch would use a whole tube of Lucas Red & Tacky.

    I am asking so I will know how many molds I will need to have in order to do a pour all at once.

  2. #2
    Boolit Master
    Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, AL
    Posts
    8,720
    If you use this method, you may never go back to the sticks.

    Ben

    https://youtu.be/GQ5n68SrrUo

  3. #3
    Boolit Master

    rancher1913's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    plains of colorado
    Posts
    1,743
    mine did about 2 quarts.

  4. #4
    So, how many sticks does two quarts make?

  5. #5
    Boolit Master

    Bookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Oklahoma, on a dirt road.
    Posts
    723
    This sounds like a job for math. I hate math.

    I'm out....
    "Varium et mutabile semper femina." - Virgil
    Man, ain't it the truth....

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Kansas
    Posts
    929
    If you had done any site search you would have discovered this thread. This does not exactly answer your question, but it will tell you how much lube it will make and if you know how much your finished sticks will weigh, then you can find out how many molds you will need.

    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Thanks to Ben and others who shared how they make it, I decided to try it today. This is the basic mix:
    50% beeswax
    30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
    10% Johnson's Paste Wax
    5% Dexron II or Dexron III Trans. Fluid
    5% STP Oil Treatment


    But a forum member was nice enough to describe that in other units, and using a complete Red Tacky Lucas Grease:
    24 ozs. = 3 cups - melted beeswax
    14 ozs. = 1 3/4 cups - Red N Tacky , heat it..it doesn't really melt
    4.6 ozs. = 2/3 cup - Johnsons Paste Wax - melted
    2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - Dexron II or III ATF
    2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup- STP Oil Treatment

    Note, 1/3 cup = 5 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon

  7. #7
    Boolit Master

    rancher1913's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    plains of colorado
    Posts
    1,743
    take a quart jar and put a stick of lube in it, now visualize the jar full and count.

  8. #8
    That's the exact recipe I was referring to...but it does not have any conversion from area to volume.

    In crunching from 1" dia X 4" tube to ounces (volume)....

    The answer is 9.8, or about 10 sticks

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Abyss
    Posts
    409
    As Ben pointed out in the video, stop wasting time making lube sticks! It is much simpler to just cut some pieces and put them in a small pot and melt them! Once melted, simply pour into your sizer. Eezey-Peezey!
    "We'll kill them ALL!"

    Optimus Prime at the Battle of Chicago

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    607
    14 oz of Red'N'Tacky is 30% of 46.6 oz. A stick of Javelina weighs 1.625 oz. Assuming the Ben's Red weighs the same, you will get approximately 28.7 sticks out of a batch.
    If you get your shots in the black, the 10s and Xs will take care of themselves.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master

    gwpercle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    If you use this method, you may never go back to the sticks.

    Ben

    https://youtu.be/GQ5n68SrrUo
    An old electric coffee pot , with a good length spout and the innards removed works well also .
    Leave the lube in it, plug in, heat and use spout to fill lube sizer , let cool , put top back on and sit on shelf until next time. The built in heat source and spout is convenient .... can be found at local thrift shop, flea market or garage sale for $2.00 or so.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables

  12. #12
    Boolit Master Bazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,488
    I'll buck the trend, I say make your sticks. If your working on a batch of bullets.. and you run out of lube, you dont wanna take a coffee break, just throw in another stick and keep cranking. Sides, its cool.

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    fiberoptik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    An old electric coffee pot , with a good length spout and the innards removed works well also .
    Leave the lube in it, plug in, heat and use spout to fill lube sizer , let cool , put top back on and sit on shelf until next time. The built in heat source and spout is convenient .... can be found at local thrift shop, flea market or garage sale for $2.00 or so.
    Gary
    Sacrelidge! Old coffee pots are for making coffee!! Perculators rock! Mines faster than a dripmaker!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    fiberoptik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Sacrelidge! Old coffee pots are for making coffee!! Perculators rock! Mines faster than a dripmaker!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Next you’ll say use good cast iron Dutch ovens for lead!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Boolit Master

    gwpercle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    If you had done any site search you would have discovered this thread. This does not exactly answer your question, but it will tell you how much lube it will make and if you know how much your finished sticks will weigh, then you can find out how many molds you will need.

    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Thanks to Ben and others who shared how they make it, I decided to try it today. This is the basic mix:
    50% beeswax
    30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
    10% Johnson's Paste Wax
    5% Dexron II or Dexron III Trans. Fluid
    5% STP Oil Treatment


    But a forum member was nice enough to describe that in other units, and using a complete Red Tacky Lucas Grease:
    24 ozs. = 3 cups - melted beeswax
    14 ozs. = 1 3/4 cups - Red N Tacky , heat it..it doesn't really melt
    4.6 ozs. = 2/3 cup - Johnsons Paste Wax - melted
    2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - Dexron II or III ATF
    2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup- STP Oil Treatment

    Note, 1/3 cup = 5 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon
    It might have been me , I remember doing a conversion because I had measuring cups , tablespoon and teaspoon measures but no way to weigh ounces. So I found a conversion chart and came up with something I could easily measure. Ben had said his original formula was based on volume, so the conversion to cups was still a volume measure of ingredients.
    The tube of Red-N-Tacky I had was 14 ozs. so I just based everything off a whole 14 oz, tube.
    Warning....I'm bad at math so there could be an error...if one of you is good at math check my numbers and see if this converted formula holds up. If it's in error ...fix it.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check