Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling all 32-20 handgun shooters.....

Boolit Master

Calling all 32-20 handgun shooters.....

Once I tried Ken Waters suggestion for 6.0gr of SR4756 for loading the 32-20 for handgun use (many years ago), I never looked back. It was without a doubt the best load I ever found for that caliber in a handgun.

I am down to a couple of ounces of SR4756. Unfortunately, it was discontinued a couple of years ago. I have looked for a can at gunshows and gun shops since I heard it was discontinued, but have not found one. I can probably go back to Unique as my second best handgun powder for the 32-20 in a handgun. It was good, but not as good as SR4756.

So I am asking other 32-20 handgun shooters: What works for you? How does it compare with the SR4756 load? Suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S-W-16.JPG 
Views:	1903 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	153708

I'm A Honcho!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used Unique with complete satisfaction. A 100 grain RCBS SWC on top of 5.0 grains of Unique and all is well in my old Army Special.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll be following this thread with interest as I now have an old (early heat treat) S&W 32-20 M&P 6" and a Navy Arms/Uberti SAA. I've got dies, 6-8 moulds in .311/.314 from 95-125 grains, plenty of brass and a comfortable assortment of powder, so "bring it on!"

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I've used 4 gr of American Select behind the Ideal 3118. American Select is very clean burning. Also used 4.5 gr of Green Dot behind the Group Buy 100 gr Keith boolit. Can't recall if it is cleaner than Unique but it can hardly be dirtier.

I'm always looking for orphan cans of 4756 too. It's like Unique but without the GSR.

Boolit Master

32/20

Unique works well for me in the 32/20 chambered in an S&W Hand Ejector. With the 115 grain cast plain base boolit, it shoots accurately and to the point of aim with the sights at 25 yards. Given my revolver's age, I just duplicate factory ballistics for my loads, but it looks like your modern S&W should be able to handle quite an upgrade in ballistics.

Powder choice will, in the end, depend on your ballistic goal. What's the plan? Factory or fast and powerful?
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 11-19-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy

Seven grains of 2400 with a WSR primer under a Lyman 120gr RNFP GC; I have not had a chance to try this load in my Ruger Blackhawk yet but they are extremely accurate out of my Marlin lever with a 16" barrel.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Master
    It is warmish, but 5.1 grains of Green Dot and the RCBS 98 gr. SWC shot under 3" at 50 yards from my rusted bore S&W hand ejector 6".

Boolit Master
    I don't have a Ruger single-action in 32-20, but I do have a standard one in .32 Magnum (small frame). I use loads in it that I would NEVER use in my S&W K-frame, even back when it was in .32 Magnum. It is pretty hard to hurt a Ruger, particularly a single-action Ruger. The suggested load looks more than I would want to use in mine.

The 7.0gr of 2400 suggestion is close, but probably not over the danger point. I have used up to 8.5gr of 2400 in a .32 Mag Ruger Super-single-six, but had trouble ejecting the cases. Reducing it to 7.5gr let them eject cleanly. It chrono's just a little faster than my SR4756 load in the 32-20. 7.0gr in the larger case would certainly be slower and probably right about the same speed as the SR4756 load. It might work.

I am going to have to do some digging to find out what I used for my Unique load. I am sure it was under 6.0gr (which is what I use for my standard .45ACP load), but can't remember how much under. I don't worry about how "dirty" it is. It cleans up easily. The only problem I have with Unique is that it meters poorly. I used to set it to meter just under the amount I needed and trickled in the last little bit. One of the nice things about SR4756 was that once things settled down, I could drop the loads without measuring every one. Once every 5 or so worked.

I don't have the other powders suggested.

AP100 is identical in burn rate and is listed as an equivalent. Don't know if you can get it in the States.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I'll be following this thread with interest as I now have an old (early heat treat) S&W 32-20 M&P 6" and a Navy Arms/Uberti SAA. I've got dies, 6-8 moulds in .311/.314 from 95-125 grains, plenty of brass and a comfortable assortment of powder, so "bring it on!"

Froggie
    Me too. I got the FA 327 mag w/32-20 and 32 H&R cylinders and haven't fired it yet. I've never owned a 32-20 but I heard and read a lot of great things about them. 2Dogs - that sounds like a pretty stout load (14.5 grs H110). I load 10.3 in my Ruger 32 H&R SS and it screams but is the most accurate load/powder I tried. H110 is an excellent powder in a lot of my revolvers.

Boolit Master
    I am reluctant to list my TC/Blackhawk loads. However Fermins load is very doable in modern well built guns. My Blackhawk and a 140 PB leaves the 327 in the dust. Lilgun and H110/296 are what I use when out for business.
    Fermin, never noticed that hammer before. Looks kind of delicate for the lack of a better word. Speed up lock time any?
    jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm in Harry O's spot.......wondering WTH to do for the 32-20 wheelguns now that SR-4756 is outta print. (Whose BRAINFART was it to nix PB, SR-7625, and SR-4756 anyway?? Some propeller-hat in a cubicle farm, no doubt). I see Alliant Unique and/or Alliant Herco as my probable replacements down the road, but haven't pursued those avenues yet--having about 4-1/2# of 4756 still on hand. Strangely--due in large part to the Obama Componentry Drought--I have a lot more 4756 here than I do Unique.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

It's not as fancy as 2 Dogs Ruger, but I built this one out of a 3 screw 30 Carbine, using a 327 Fed Mag barrel I got off Gunbroker, Brownell's cylinder and other steel parts like the Super grip frame.

For a maximum type load I use the 14.5 gr load of H110 as he does, with a 118 gr gas check bullet, out of a mould I got here on the forum in one of the group byes. I also use 12-13.0 grs of 4227 with the same bullet, but like the H110 load the best. For lighter loads I use 2.5 gr of Titegroup or 4.5 grs of Hp38 with a 118 gr plain base bullet from the Lyman mould. I also like to load up black powder loads, using 2F and make some smoke for fun.
    McLintock

Boolit Master
    One thing about the 32-20 is the wide range of sizes the guns that shoot it are. Anyone shooting the 32-20 should be very careful picking loads off the Internet. While I am absolutely sure that a Ruger Blackhawk will handle anything put in it, someone using that load in a "less strong" firearm will regret it. After all, that frame is available in .44 Magnum. Again, I would not use the 14.5gr load of H110 in a S&W K-frame. If anyone has used that load in a S&W K-frame, please let us know what happened. I doubt that it would be good.

Also keep in mind that there are even lighter (and more delicate) revolvers chambered for the 32-20. I also have a 1931 Colt Police Positive Special. I bent it many years ago shooting 32-20 "rifle only" loads. It was repaired and I shoot ONLY factory loads in it anymore. Loads that we all know are pretty pathetic.

I personally use three loads different loads for my 32-20's. I label them and also use a different bullet for each so I can identify the load in them if they get separated from the label. One is for a modern 32-20 rifle (or Ruger Blackhawk). It is 12.5gr of 2400 with a 100gr flat-nose soft-point jacketed bullet (Remington?) or a Lyman 311316. A step down is for my K-frame. I also used it in a P-frame Jr in 32-20 from Uberti at one time. It is 6.0gr of SR4756 with an 100gr XTP, a 98gr RCBS, or a 115gr Lyman 3118. The lightest one is for small handguns like the Colt PPS. It is 2.8gr of Trail Boss with a 98gr RCBS. Shooting a heavier load in a lighter gun will damage it. No question about it. I have done it.

I am specifically looking for replacement of the middle load. That is the one I don't have any powder for.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yessir--be aware of platform strength when loading for your 32-20 firearms. "Handloader" magazine just did an article over the past few months discussing this quirk of the caliber, and concluded (much like Harry's text) that at least 3 loading levels exist for firearms chambered in this caliber.

Another source for load info would be the article by Ken Waters (in "Handloader" years ago and now in the Wolfe Publications' compendium of Mr. Waters' articles from that magazine--"Pet Loads"--specific to the 32-20 WCF in the revolver. One could always just fill a case to the bullet base position with either Trail Boss or The Holy Black, too--just be prepared to wash out the firearm and the brass if THB is your chosen fuel. That hygroscopic BP fouling will do BAD THINGS to gun steel and cartridge brass if given time to do its evil work. The compensation side of the equation is that The Holy Black was the spec'd fuel for these hyphenated prehistorics, and as long as you keep the barrels from fouling out and load your BP ammo correctly their performance can be exemplary. By this, I mean lead/tin alloy--good BP lube--and some compression of the powder column. Lighting things off with magnum primers is recommended in some quarters, but in 25-20, 32-20, 44-40, and 45 Colt I used CCI standard pistol primers with no complaints.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

10 grains of IMR 4227, 115 grain cast bullet. Fantastic.

Other end of the spectrum 3.5 grains 231 same Saeco bullet.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Buddy
    My .32-20 is a S&W 1905 2nd change, and is about a decade into it's second century. The milder the load the better, I have a Single Seven .327 and a Taurus in .32 H&R for when I want a step up in power.

Just did a batch of RCBS 32-98-SWC this week, another next week should be enough to fill the 500x Starline cases I have for it. That's probably a lifetime supply for that gun, it won't get shot a lot when the other .32s are available as well. Haven't decided on a load yet, most likely somewhere around 3.5 gr of WW 231. Thanks for the reminder about the Handloader article, none of my manuals have data for that bullet, hopefully the article will.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goryshaw View Post
    My .32-20 is a S&W 1905 2nd change, and is about a decade into it's second century. The milder the load the better, I have a Single Seven .327 and a Taurus in .32 H&R for when I want a step up in power.

Just did a batch of RCBS 32-98-SWC this week, another next week should be enough to fill the 500x Starline cases I have for it. That's probably a lifetime supply for that gun, it won't get shot a lot when the other .32s are available as well. Haven't decided on a load yet, most likely somewhere around 3.5 gr of WW 231. Thanks for the reminder about the Handloader article, none of my manuals have data for that bullet, hopefully the article will.
    I believe both of my S&W 32-20's are the same model as yours. I have shot quite a few of the RCBS boolits over 3.5 grains of Green Dot, and they were very accurate, and seemed plenty mild on the old gun. The lighter than standard weight does shoot a bit low though. My cylinder throats rerquired .314" for size, and accuracy was MUCH better than .312" Have fun.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Lil Gun and Universal, 100 gr FP.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast